• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    A couple weeks ago while finishing up a landscaping job on the south west side of indy I had a first for experiences. I work in some pretty trashy rough areas esp for a country boy. After seeing some of the areas we work in maybe two days of work I knew I needed a pocket gun. Not having the funds for one I eventually was given one by a close friend not the best for carrying but was easy to hide and was better then nothing.anyway a couple weeks ago we were finishing vacuuming leaves in a apartment complex we were actually packing up to leave when I heard a gun shot I had asked the rest of the crew if they heard it and they said it was a flat tire from the interstate right behind the apartment s I knew better. The adrenaline started to pump knowing what it was. There was definitely a long delay in between shots at least 30secs-1 min I would guess. I started to make me way in that direction mainly thinking of making sure everyone was ok. I made it to the corner of the apartment and heard 5-6 more shots. I hesitated on proceeding further not knowing for sure what the circumstances were. I heard what sounded like vehicle motors revving up and next thing I knew a maroon charger was flying by me all over the road with the back driver window still down followed by a white Chevy hhr. The first thought through my mind was great going to get shot just bc I am here and saw them leave not knowing anymore. Turned the corner and saw a 17-20 yr old kid laying on the ground. As I made my was to him in a hurry I told him he was ok I was going to help mainly out of fear he would shoot me not knowing who I was running up to him. I am not sure exactly why or how but next thing I know I pulled my belt off making a makeshift tournequet for his leg. (He was hit mid left thigh through and through by what appeared to be a .45 judging by the casings.) Thankfully he wasn't bleeding to bad in the midst of trying to help him I heard a comotion in the apartment behind us and remember glancing up and not seeing much my main focus was him in front of me. I know I know all that tactical B's the keyboard comados are going to say but easier said then done when the hearts pumping. The kid was in shock pretty good eyes glazing over and kinda fading out of consciousness in and out. Police finally showed up and took over and took statement s. During the taping the crime scene off phase they offered for me to sit in the cruiser to stay warm, I politely decined knowing I had a .22 pocket pistol on me, they have a hard enough job as it is I don't need to complicate things at a crime scene just to stay warm. After another offer I declined again explaining why and offering to show my carry permit and told him I would feel more comfortable if it just stayed in my pocket versus checking it into his trunk etc. Either way take aways from it training does kick in and it's easier said then done (should ofs would ofs could ofs) until it's you and the adrenaline rush yeah makes you get tunnel vision. And be aware of when you render aid wear gloves if possible ( I didn't have any now I have to wait 90 days for an HIV test just in case) and try to remain calm and notice details as much as possible. Pretty crazy situation I remember looking down while working on the kid and seeing bullet paths through the grass and soil between my legs where they shot at him while he was already down kid was lucky. From now on g26 extra mag and tournaquet go with me just in case not asking permission from the boss at this point my life is more important then my job and currently searching for a new job as we speak. Fun times not so much

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    I have taken combat life saving course before my deployment thankfully never had to use it over there. It definitely kicked in even 8 yes later but it's a good eye opener or shall I say reminder. I knew it wasn't a matter if but when something like that would have. I would like to think I am pretty vigilant as far as surroundings go and definitely had a bad feeling about that place the day before goes to show follow your gut I guess. It shouldn't have surprised me I find fired projectiles spent casing live rounds and used needles all the time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here's what I think.... If you hear gunfire and your instincts tell you to move toward it to see if you can help (rather than itching to be a hero or get into a gunfight) then whatever career you picked is the wrong one. I'm not being snarky or sarcastic here. If you're still young enough to get into it you would likely find being an LEO a good fit for you and we need more people doing it for the right reasons.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Here's what I think.... If you hear gunfire and your instincts tell you to move toward it to see if you can help (rather than itching to be a hero or get into a gunfight) then whatever career you picked is the wrong one. I'm not being snarky or sarcastic here. If you're still young enough to get into it you would likely find being an LEO a good fit for you and we need more people doing it for the right reasons.
    :+1:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While an HIV test is a good idea, don't worry a lot about it, your odds of infection are very low.

"Is the scene safe" is beaten into every first aid/first responder/emt student. While you did great at caring for the patient, getting yourself hurt or killed not only is bad for you, it takes resources away from the original patient. Learn to keep that eye out for trouble even while treating your patient, it's doing both of you a favor.

Overall though, you did fine. Use this experience to do better next time. This is the same advice I give all my students and trainees.

No keyboard commando here, just a guy with 30 years of btdt.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like you did well, and that's a good suggestion from Phylo.

Old, slow folks like myself look for cover when they hear shots.:)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Well Done Trigger_Happy ... (that is a vast understatement - glad it worked for you - doing the right thing isn't always easy) ...

I was curious from the title - what were the (if any) reactions from "work" ...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I totally am a keyboard commando - no real world training or experience. And I think you did fine. Sounds like you intuited that the shooting part was over and the triage stage started. Yeah, you are a bit lucky that you got that part right, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

My sense is that these are result-determined exercises. You didn't get shot. You didn't get arrested. You helped someone who needed help. Tactical lessons were learned. Everything else seems like minutiae at that point.

Oh, and look who's now working recruiting.... ;)

But more seriously, he's not wrong.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Side note: I think I've pieced together where this happened and roughly when (based on a crime reporting app). But, the things that don't make the news still sometimes surprise me, even though I know they shouldn't.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Good suggestions on here already, go sign up for a force somewhere. The only thing I'd add (and probably one that you might have thought of from your military training) is you should have used his belt...you might need yours for your own tourniquet later.

And, yeah...blood borne pathogens are a thing.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    Well not being racist just stating facts me and one other guy are the only white guys on the crew. The Mexicans we worked with said don't get involved come on let's go. Me on the other cannot just stand by I am not wired that way. They kept trying to get me to leave before I gave my statement. Yeah not gonna happen too many people do that now days and it makes it harder for justice to be served. My boss thought it was funny apparently cracking jokes calling me hero boy etc. I told them I didn't find it very funny at all. There are still repercussions after the fact blood born illness etc. I was a master at arms in the Navy so most of it was training from back then kicked in. The demographics from the area I was at appear to not understand the purpose of a belt so that was a no go. And it definitely didn't make the news heck before the police even arrived there were friends of the victim on the phone and leaving very quickly assuming try to get some justice of their own ahead of schedule. As far as being a police officer I can't do your guys job now days I am young enough but unfortunately don't have the patience of doing your jobs with everything going on. My hats off to you. All in all given the circumstances stances I am sure it was probably drug related or something similar, doesn't change my attitude on helping others in need. The way I described it to the rest of the crew when they were telling me to leave was f@#$ you if that was you or me bleeding after getting shot pretty sure we would want someone to help us. And it was cloverleaf apartments jfyi. Looked it up when I got home and an individual had been murder there 4-5 days before this happened.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting, I figured it to be one of the incidents just north of Rockville Rd., but I was pretty close. :)

Too bad it was even that close to you. Cross referencing the "beyond the target" thread, sounds like you and your crew might've been the backstop if the location had been just a bit different.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Thank you for stepping up, and I'm glad that all ended well.

I second the suggestion that you consider law enforcement. Too many of the special snowflakes had come aboard by the time I retired; we, as a public, need people willing to do the right thing to serve.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

I understand the patience part, but that's the horse's mouth. Think about it.

Top Bottom