• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I have not been this year, nor I believe last year, but the previous two years, there was no screening that I was aware of.
    I know that's not the definitive answer you're looking for, but it does indicate a trend.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    you present your ticket and you walk in.

Zero bag checks, zero metal detectors.

Can almost guarantee if you OC you'll be asked to leave.

My sweatshirt rode up and exposed my holster about 5769 times on Tuesday. Apparently no one of importance noticed because I wasn't asked to leave.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I went on Tuesday. No security checks, no detectors, no anything. Buy your ticket, walk in.

I was kinda disappointed with the show itself. Several manufacturers were missing, including Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, Land Rover, Volvo, Infiniti, Jaguar, Mitsubishi and Kia. Really wanted to check out a Kia Stinger, but didn't get to. Still enjoyed looking at the cars from manufacturers that did show up.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks for the information folks. Never have been before. The little blonde kid that lives with us wants to go to a car show. So we are going to do it tomorrow.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    headed there tomorrow to check it out. Annual thing with the buddies. Any chance the new Ford Ranger was there? I heard it might be revealed at the Detroit North America auto show later in January. Going to look at Explorers and Pilots without getting hassled by car salesmen.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    headed there tomorrow to check it out. Annual thing with the buddies. Any chance the new Ford Ranger was there? I heard it might be revealed at the Detroit North America auto show later in January. Going to look at Explorers and Pilots without getting hassled by car salesmen.

No Ford Ranger there. I want to see one, too. :)

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I went on Tuesday. No security checks, no detectors, no anything. Buy your ticket, walk in.

I was kinda disappointed with the show itself. Several manufacturers were missing, including Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, Land Rover, Volvo, Infiniti, Jaguar, Mitsubishi and Kia. Really wanted to check out a Kia Stinger, but didn't get to. Still enjoyed looking at the cars from manufacturers that did show up.

I was planning to go, but once I saw the number of manufacturers that were not going to be there I decided not to go. I will just go to the dealers and look if I get the bug.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We go every New Year's Day. Never an issue. The show certainly gets smaller each year.

Security is DIY affair. Buy ticket, walk in, get zapped by static electricity every time you touch a car.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I had never been before. Enjoyed the show. Royce loved seeing the cars. I thought it was refreshing that something in the 21st century had given some marketing thought to heterosexual men. Out of the modern day norm.

Security was just like it should have been.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We just got back. Small show, and light attendance. At least one doesn't feel rushed looking at the few cars there. The "spokes models" were chatty, but not pushy, and actually well enough informed.

Disappointed I couldn't grope the new JL, and that Jeep is still selling JK's under the 2018 model year. The new GMC and Chevy trucks seem really nice, but un-Godly expensive. Factory prepped and dealer installed goose/5th hitch is a nice option. Lots of big names missing this year (Audi, Mercedes, Kia, Land Rover, Jaguar, and more).

Cars seem to fall into 3 categories:
    - Wow, that's cheap (but not all that inexpensive)
    - Wow, that seems expensive for what you get
    - Holy Cow, who would pay that!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Cars seem to fall into 3 categories:
    - Wow, that's cheap (but not all that inexpensive)
    - Wow, that seems expensive for what you get
    - Holy Cow, who would pay that!

Was impressed by the reasonable-ness of the prices of many of the "import" mid-sized sedans. I have that in quotes because most of them are made here in the USA anyhow. But a base-ish Accord, Camry, Sonata, (And Optima - though not at the show), and Legacy are all within a hair's breadth apart in price.

Same with the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey and Kia Sedona. Though, again, Kia wasn't at the show for some reason.

And, unfortunately, Honda only had 1 model CR-V at the the show - a high end/many options one. Wish I could have sat in a base-ish model.

The Subaru display was fantastic. Even included the brand new to market (in May/June) Ascent. Their first honest 3-row SUV. Beautiful vehicle. Won't buy one - but they're beautiful.

Loved the Foresters, loved the Outbacks, loved the Legacy. I don't know what we'll end up with whenever my old Altima goes T/U - but Subaru is high on the list.

We didn't have the time (plus 2 kids in tow) to really look at all that was there from a recreational standpoint unfortunately. We were on a recon mission on making sure we know what directions we want to head when our present vehicles fail. We only didn't look at the Ford display much. Didn't look at the Chevy display much. Didn't look at BMW nor Acura, either, for that matter. Nor Mini. Didn't even look at Nissan this time around, either, other than the GT-R (probably the same one as last year - same color). I've been doing research on Nissan over the last year. Apparently their CVTs are utter crap. And that's unfortunate because I want to still like Nissan.

But speaking of Holy Crap prices... Did you see the $77k F250? Or the $71k F350? Or the $85k Ford Expedition? Or the $91k Lincoln Navigator? Holy crap. AND PEOPLE BUY THEM.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    But speaking of Holy Crap prices... Did you see the $77k F250? Or the $71k F350? Or the $85k Ford Expedition? Or the $91k Lincoln Navigator? Holy crap. AND PEOPLE BUY THEM.

They cost that much because people will pay that much. Pickups used to cost less than most other vehicles, but apparently the market changed on the buyer side, so the pricing changed to match it. My 2002 Silverado may be the last truck for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    They cost that much because people will pay that much. Pickups used to cost less than most other vehicles, but apparently the market changed on the buyer side, so the pricing changed to match it. My 2002 Silverado may be the last truck for me.

Yep. That's why sensible mid-sized sedans are relatively inexpensive. Because they're losing ground to compact and mid-sized SUVs. Base model RAV-4s and CRVs are also relatively inexpensive.

Good for me, though!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Did you see the Toyota Land Cruiser for ~$82k?!? :faint:

That's a bargain for a LC. Starting MSRP is $83,665!

I'd rather have that TRD Sequoia they had there, though. Oh man. But...I don't have $58k for the TRD Sequoia. At least not until I win the lottery!!!!

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That's a bargain for a LC. Starting MSRP is $83,665!

I'd rather have that TRD Sequoia they had there, though. Oh man. But...I don't have $58k for the TRD Sequoia. At least not until I win the lottery!!!!

I just didn't see how it's worth that much. It was a big SUV with leather seats, but why $10k+ more than a Tahoe? Maybe I should compare options better. :dunno:

I'm disappointed in the new Chevy Colorado. I'm not that big of a guy and I could hardly get in that thing. The steering wheel kept getting in the way, and I had it moved as far out of the way as possible. The older style I can get in just fine, I'm actually about to get one because I need a back seat for the baby and my grandpa has a 4-door he wants to get rid of.

Top Bottom