• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

While gun-related accidents are a rare occurance, they can happen. If you own, or are around guns, these six medical supply categories are essential tools for fast response if something does go wrong.

[FONT=&quot]Tourniquets
    An essential tool to quickly and effectively stop extremity bleeding from large wounds or arteries.

[/FONT]

Hemostatic Gauze
    These agents help promote fast blood coagulation to address traumatic wounds involving arterial bleeding.

Pressure Dressing and Bandages
    Designed and packaged with volume and weight reduction in mind, these dressings are easy to identify, apply, and secure to aid in blood-flow restriction.

Shears
    While shears may seem like a simple tool, they make getting to a wound much easier, saving precious time when it counts.

Chest Seals & Needle Decompression
    A gun-shot wound to the chest requires quick response. Chest seals, needles for decompression, and proper training can make the difference.

[FONT=&quot]Burn Treatment
    It is not hard to find something to burn yourself on at the shooting range. A hot suppressor, barrel, or brass can cause serious burns. Treating a burned area quickly helps prevent complications and aids in faster healing.

[/FONT]

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Excellent advice and i have all of these, with the exception of burn cream, in my bob in both cars as well as my range bag.
    I'll be picking up some burn ointment to throw in all 3 this weekend.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    While most are good recommendations, you can easily screw up a needle decompression and hurt or kill a patient. I'd throw in a BVM and a set of King airways before a needle decomp kit for the average civilian learning things from youtube.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I totally agree on the needle. I believe that RE only sells needles to qualified first responders. This is their ad That I reposted, because They have good pricing and ship all orders for 4.99. I feel like a shill that should get paid, but I am just posting it so fellow INGOers can take advantage of a good deal.

I do not understand why they included the needle in a generic ad.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I would think Joe Citizen inserting King airways and doing pleural decompression's could cost someone dearly in a law suit. Hemostatic gauze and powders out date rather quickly (we do not carry them on an ambulance).

Some common sense and a little innovation goes a long way.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Training, training, training.

This.

Keep in mind that if you want to carry light, an IBD will fill most needs with the exception of the burn treatment. Personally, I would use something like Celox or Quikclot only under the most dire circumstances. I also heartily agree with Shibumiseeker, air way management would be more useful to most. If you don't know what you are doing, please do not dart my chest.

The shears are a nice touch, I carry a pair in the med ruck in my truck, but your edc knife would serve well. If you leave the house without a proper cutting tool, shame on you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This.

Keep in mind that if you want to carry light, an IBD will fill most needs with the exception of the burn treatment. Personally, I would use something like Celox or Quikclot only under the most dire circumstances. I also heartily agree with Shibumiseeker, air way management would be more useful to most. If you don't know what you are doing, please do not dart my chest.

The shears are a nice touch, I carry a pair in the med ruck in my truck, but your edc knife would serve well. If you leave the house without a proper cutting tool, shame on you.

Thank you for your input. I post this kind of thread to draw out the more knowledgeable among us. I looked up your courses and I will try to take the one in November.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thank you for your input. I post this kind of thread to draw out the more knowledgeable among us. I looked up your courses and I will try to take the one in November.

Just a note. The 2018 schedule has not been posted, will be by the end of Jan. I believe you may have seen an older schedule. Also, check with Frank Sharp, he's in your area and offers top shelf training.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Medical Training has always bored me to tears that being said you guys spent a lot of tax money on me.
    We were trained by senior Medics,DR’s,PA’s we had to run IV’s on each other do the nasal airways on each other ect.
    This training was intergrated into all the other training never knew when you might have to do needle decompression on a dummy ect.
    The formal courses were 40 to 80 hours I would think that would cost some big$$ in the civilian world?
    I guess what am asking is what level of training would be required for just you average guy without being a lawsuit nightmare?
    Joniki brought up a good point !

BTW if I have a sucking chest wound any of you have my permission to treat it!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Cool, we need to hang out, I carry a chest dart, in hopes if needed, someone with training on it may be able to make use of it, but hell, I’ll give it a stab? Seriously though, late 90’s pre-GWOT Combat Lifesaver course didn’t cover chest darts, but it did cover IV’s. Chest, arm, needle, what could be the difference?;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another bit to consider . . .

The gear I carry is primarily for use on me. Secondary is use on someone else in need.

If I carry a nasopharyngeal airway, it's the size for my head (30 french). If I carry a needle catheter for treating a tension pneumothorax, it's for use on me. If I'm with someone who knows how to use my gear, I let them know where I am carrying it it unless I know they have their own. I'm fortunate that some of my friends and family with whom I spend the most time know more than I do about first-aid.

If I need to use a needle cath to deal with a pneumothorax on someone else, (1) I know how to recognize it, (2) I know where and how to insert the cath (mid line of clavicle, second intercostal space) and remove the needle part, and (3) I've practiced (using racks of ribs while supervised by experienced experts).

Given that, I definitely think it's an item that is best reserved to someone who knows how to use it.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Medical Training has always bored me to tears that being said you guys spent a lot of tax money on me.
    We were trained by senior Medics,DR’s,PA’s we had to run IV’s on each other do the nasal airways on each other ect.
    This training was intergrated into all the other training never knew when you might have to do needle decompression on a dummy ect.
    The formal courses were 40 to 80 hours I would think that would cost some big$$ in the civilian world?
    I guess what am asking is what level of training would be required for just you average guy without being a lawsuit nightmare?
    Joniki brought up a good point !

I'll have a couple of triangles cut from an IBD wrapper and a roll of one-inch Gorilla tape standing by!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Please look for an exit wound first don’t want you to go through all that work for nothing!
    While not as fun as a chest dart, I do carry and know how to use Hyfin Vent Seals. BTW, opinions on Hyfin vs. Halo and other such purpose built chest seals? I would rather carry purpose built, than rig in extremis a package from my IBD, although knowing that it can be done is a useful tool to have as well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I totally agree on the needle. I believe that RE only sells needles to qualified first responders. This is their ad That I reposted, because They have good pricing and ship all orders for 4.99. I feel like a shill that should get paid, but I am just posting it so fellow INGOers can take advantage of a good deal.

I do not understand why they included the needle in a generic ad.

Unfortunately it doesn't apply to international shipping.They won't ship CAT tourniquets overseas either.

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING[FONT=&amp]We can ship to virtually any address in the world![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]There are restrictions on some products, and some products CANNOT be shipped to international destinations including: North American Rescue products, Team Wendy helmets, Pocket BVM, TacMed Solutions, and SAM Medical Products.[/FONT]

International orders will be charged actual shipping costs, and customers are contacted prior to shipment for their approval of the shipping charges. Initially, a $39.99 charge is assessed by default and refunds issued if the actual shipping amount is less. If the charge is greater, your order will be held until you have given your approval of the shipping charge.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would add a pair (or several) of gloves to the list.

If you have some medical training and are treating someone else you can do a lot with just a pair of gloves.
    Even with no medical training, just holding someone's hand while EMS get to the scene can do a lot for a patient's morale.

I always carry a pair of nitrile gloves in my pocket.It takes virtually no room.

Top Bottom