Would you take possession of recovered revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I had a revolver stolen from my vehicle two years ago from in front of my house one night. Please spare the lecture: lesson learned, never again. It was my truck gun, Taurus Model 82 foreign Police trade ins, S&W Model 10 knockoff from the early 1970's. I bought two at the same time 7 years ago for $125 each from a dealer. Imported via Century Arms by the dealer that bought a bunch of them. I really liked them and never regretted buying two of them, even if my wife thought I should only "need one". They have the bull barrels. I still have the other. I did the whole police report thing and have never heard anything since. Unfortunately, every time I see an article in my hometown reporting that someone was robbed at gun point or shot by unknown person, I wonder if it was my gun. The odds are very small but my mind still goes there. I was near the police station earlier this week and decided to stop in to inquire as to the disposition. For all I knew the gun was sitting in an evidence locker somewhere or was recovered then destroyed. The lady behind the desk was able to use her computer and see that the revolver has not been recovered. She said I would be notified if the revolver ever turns up. I found myself wondering if this would really happen, but I will take her word for it. Now here lies the question: If you had a firearm stolen and had been missing for two years and the police said they have recovered the gun, and that you could pick it up, would you? I have no way of knowing if the gun was used in the commission of a robbery or a murder. I am not talking about your grandfather's favorite family heirloom that has been passed down from father to son. That's a no-brainer. I'm taking about a mass imported revolver that is easily replaced? Half of me says I want my firearm back and the other half is leery. All hypothetical, because my firearm is still out in the Twilight Zone somewhere.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I would pick it up. No matter what it was used for. The gun doesn't do any thing wrong, it is the person holding the gun. Many guns from the 20's ,30's, 40's etc, may have been used for crimes in the past , but people still buy and or collect them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have been waiting since very late '07 or very early '08 to hear about my two stolen guns. Sadly I dont think i will hear about one. But i would take tem back.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    If your hammer was stolen would you have the same concerns? The gun is a tool, nothing more or less, pick it up if you get the call. Everything is not your fault regardless of what the dumbocrats say. I have been waiting on my call since 09 and will have no regrets.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Absolutely. I lost three handguns and a rifle in a home burglary four years ago. Only one has been subsequently recovered. I've started the process to get it back, but still haven't taken possession yet.

I was told when it was found, it appeared that someone had thrown it out of a car window near an overpass, so I'm guessing it was either used in a crime and tossed, or someone was about to get stopped and didn't want to be caught with it.

Either way it's undergone ballistics testing. I doubt I'd be getting it back if had been used in a homicide.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I really wasn't looking at bad mojo or anything like that. I know that guns are tools, and that guns don't kill people. A gun has never taken upon itself to jump out of a holster and shoot somebody. I get the gun having a history part too. I collect milsurp. It's more the point about ballistics and some police detective trying to connect me to some cold case incident years from now. I have read bad reviews about the Model 82's, but it worked flawlessly. That's what made it a good truck gun. It works and if it ever got stolen I wasn't out a whole lot of money.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Gave a cheap pistol to my best friend years ago. Gun was stolen from his house and was never reported. A few years latter I get a letter from a IPD detective wanting me to contact him about a gun I bought 16 years ago at that time that was recovered. I call him up and was informed I could come in and pick up my gun. The gun was used in a drug deal gone bad according to the detective. One bad guy shot the other in the leg with it. I was happy to retrieve it and give it back to my buddy.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    In 1994 I had a Colt Officer's Enhanced 45, a Colt Double Eagle 45, a Colt Government 380 and a S&W 625 stolen. Heck yeah I would take them back.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I really wasn't looking at bad mojo or anything like that. I know that guns are tools, and that guns don't kill people. A gun has never taken upon itself to jump out of a holster and shoot somebody. I get the gun having a history part too. I collect milsurp. It's more the point about ballistics and some police detective trying to connect me to some cold case incident years from now. I have read bad reviews about the Model 82's, but it worked flawlessly. That's what made it a good truck gun. It works and if it ever got stolen I wasn't out a whole lot of money.

I could see your concern with taking possession of the weapon again for that reason. I would assume that the situation you described as a cold case would be very easy to navigate. You reported the weapon stolen, you retrieved your weapon when it was found and released by the police. I would pick it up.

I would also feel the same as you in regards to shootings and criminal activity. I know that it technically would not be my fault, but I would feel guilt if I left a weapon unsecured and it was used to hurt/kill someone or commit a crime.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I would love to get all of the guns back stolen from my fathers house. Unfortunately with his passing I’m sure the local PD wouldn’t spend the time to find any heirs.
    If one of my handguns were stolen I would take every opportunity to get it back. Whatever happened with it when it was out of your possession could easily be proven as innocence on your part.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Heck yes if one was ever stolen.

Then again I own two suicide pistols. They were used for the horror that is suicide and the family did not want them back. They also did not want them destroyed or sold by the police. They donated them to the collection. One has rust spots from blood splatter and setting in the evidence locker. The other is stainless and seemed to fair better than the blued version.

I guess i might might be a bit high on the bell curve.

Top Bottom