Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

They're always allowed to ask for ID but you aren't always required to provide these things.

User Info Menu

Different officers will react.. differently.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Different officers will react.. differently.
    And some officers, their departments, and municipalities end up on the losing end of lawsuits.
    Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I have not been witness to an arrest, so Iíve not been in a situation where Iíve been recording a situation. But if I was and am asked by an officer for ID, what is the likely response of the officer if I respond like what has been suggested in these posts? Iím guessing escalation of the situation, but Iíve not been in the officerís shoes. So, what is your opinion on best course of action?
    Depends. If I really want to ID you, I probably can even if I never see your ID if you aren't from out of state. It just depends on how much time and effort I'm willing to spend.

There is always the chance the situation will escalate, though. I learned about planting your flag on every hill in the Army. Sometimes even when you're right and the sergeant was wrong, it'll bite you in the butt later. These days, I look at every potential conflict through the same lens now, no matter if it's a supervisor at work or a loud drunk at a restaurant. Is the potential escalation worth whatever I'm considering? That's what you have to ask yourself.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Would it be wrong to have photocopies of your DL with the following text ready to distribute?

Here's my ID. As we both know, I am not required to present it to you because you do not have reasonable suspicion that I have committed a crime or an infraction (as per the Pinner decision) and I know with certainty that I have not. However, you're just so persistent with your repeated requests that it's clear that you really, really want to see my ID, so here it is. Please note that while I am indulging you as a generous and voluntary act of kindness so that your aneurysm won't rupture during the inevitable Daffy Duck vs. Bugs Bunny negotiations that will ensue, I am in no way interested in a romantic relationship with you because you're a dude and so am I. If you have a cute sister, we may be able to work something out.

PS I respectfully urge you to re-evaluate your desire to persist in obtaining ID when someone is not legally required to provide it and clearly chooses to exercise their right. It's not personal, so you shouldn't take it that way. It will save you time, improve your relationship with the community you serve (who also appreciates your service), and will reduce the chances of that aneurysm causing a problem.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Depends. If I really want to ID you, I probably can even if I never see your ID if you aren't from out of state. It just depends on how much time and effort I'm willing to spend.

There is always the chance the situation will escalate, though. I learned about planting your flag on every hill in the Army. Sometimes even when you're right and the sergeant was wrong, it'll bite you in the butt later. These days, I look at every potential conflict through the same lens now, no matter if it's a supervisor at work or a loud drunk at a restaurant. Is the potential escalation worth whatever I'm considering? That's what you have to ask yourself.
    While I realize itís not intended to go over an IC/OC issue with police, is what you describe above some of what the class you are holding will go over?

User Info Menu

I sure hope not. I never intend to get into a DGU situation with a Cop.
    2019 is the year to put GUY Relford on the NRA Board of Directors.
    CIRCULATE PETITIONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Look for Kirk Freeman's next gripping novel, "The Sirens of Wal-Mart".
    I've been to Wal-Mart, there are no Sirens in that part of the ocean.

User Info Menu

While I realize itís not intended to go over an IC/OC issue with police, is what you describe above some of what the class you are holding will go over?
    No, but feel free to ask during a break. Mostly in lvl 2, we do talk about post-shooting which includes dealing with 911 and police response.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Yes, And I know who Kirk is. I am no lawyer but I would like to hear from a someone with a law enforcement background.
    I am Kirk and I have a law enforcement background.
    Hands up! Don't grope!

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast