• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just watched a video on youtube.

A person was opening carrying in a walmart, a group of officers show up to seek ID and carry license.

Now, as far as i know, if asked for ID in indiana we must give id. and naturally same with carry lic.

These officers then run a check on his id, presumably to see if any warrants and such...

Please correct me if im wrong here. Isn't that a slight on his 4th amendment right? He showed proof he is licensed to carry. therefore no crime has been committed. I thought providing ID was simply I am who i state I am, not consent to run a records check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTezGsbjjM

**Edit**

i suppose they need to run it to ensure its a valid carry lic etc..... i guess im just dumb or short sighted

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Just watched a video on youtube.

A person was opening carrying in a walmart, a group of officers show up to seek ID and carry license.

Now, as far as i know, if asked for ID in indiana we must give id. and naturally same with carry lic.

These officers then run a check on his id, presumably to see if any warrants and such...

Please correct me if im wrong here. Isn't that a slight on his 4th amendment right? He showed proof he is licensed to carry. therefore no crime has been committed. I thought providing ID was simply I am who i state I am, not consent to run a records check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTezGsbjjM

laws are different everywhere. In Indiana you're only required to identify yourself if you've committed an infraction or ordinance violation. Just the act of carrying is not a reason for law enforcement to stop and detain you to verify whether or not you have a carry license nor are you required to inform if you are. Consensual encounters are a whole different story. Not sure how running someone after you've had contact with them is really a 4th amendment issue, never seen or heard of any case law on that. If the initial reason for the stop was unlawful then you get into fruit of the poisonous tree issues but there isn't anything to argue with a warrant (assuming there aren't any fresh charges that stem from the stop) as a judge has already decided there's PC for your arrest.
    magistrate

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    laws are different everywhere. In Indiana you're only required to identify yourself if you've committed an infraction or ordinance violation. Just the act of carrying is not a reason for law enforcement to stop and detain you to verify whether or not you have a carry license nor are you required to inform if you are. Consensual encounters are a whole different story. Not sure how running someone after you've had contact with them is really a 4th amendment issue, never seen or heard of any case law on that.

pardon, did i understand you correctly. If im walking through a store or down the street or where ever and an officer approaches me and asks for ID i do not have to hand it over?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm not an attorney.
    If you open carry to a certain extent you've waived your fourth amendment. Kind of like people who waive BB guns around should be surprised when they get shot. I'm all for liberty, but not for the abandonment of common sense.
    Also - A police officer just needs to show reasonable cause for stopping. Once they have reasonable cause you must comply with their directive when asked for ID. Any judge would consider open carrying reasonable cause.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    pardon, did i understand you correctly. If im walking through a store or down the street or where ever and an officer approaches me and asks for ID i do not have to hand it over?

According to the IC code, yes. Is that always understood and practiced by every LEO/prosecutor? No.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes. That kind of interaction is now... awkward. The police probably weren't allowed to conduct even a brief investigation. Certainly, once the carry permit was presented, without indication of other criminal activity, the stop should've been over.

Now, there's a practical problem. The police can take down his information, give the cards back, tell him he's free to go, then follow him as they run the check. If it shows a felony warrant or something, then they can grab him.

So, holding him there while they run the check isn't really appropriate, but it nets out about the same.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    IANÀL. This was from 2014. Wasn't that before the decision about just carrying not being enough cause for a stop and check??

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IANÀL. This was from 2014. Wasn't that before the decision about just carrying not being enough cause for a stop and check??

Ah - that's an important data point that I missed. Yes, that was before Pinner was final.

Frankly, though, I can imagine a ton of interactions going down like the video even post-Pinner. While there is another case on the matter, the problem is still a tricky one to resolve in "regular" police-citizen interactions.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IANAL

ID in Indiana can be verbal. There is no requirement for "papers, please". Of course, you need a license to drive and all that, but you are not required to provide a State-issued ID on demand when NOT driving. Certainly not required if it is not an actual Stop.

Actual IC:
    IC 34-28-5-3.5 Refusal to identify self

Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's:
    (1) name, address, and date of birth; or
    (2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;
    to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

Open carry is not in and of itself a reason for a stop. I'll see if I can find something specific, but I know it has been discussed on INGO. I don't think it is IC, but more of a policy at some level of the Government.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Chapter ONE:

It was a hot, steamy night. I went to Wal-Mart. I was open carrying a Les Baer 1911, of course. I was stylishly attired. It was rhino-free; I was happy and joy filled my heart.

The police told me to stop and demanded ID. I blew kisses and told them my name was Pinner.

Top Bottom