edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I listened to part of that.
    He spoke of not being allowed to use deadly force to protect personal property (stuff).

Which begs the question, if somebody points a gun at me and wants my "stuff", I'm going to be in fear of my life.
    SURELY in the case of someone unlawfully using the threat of deadly force against me for ANY reason, justifies my right to use deadly force to defend myself?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He spoke of not being allowed to use deadly force to protect personal property (stuff).

Which begs the question, if somebody points a gun at me and wants my "stuff", I'm going to be in fear of my life.
    SURELY in the case of someone unlawfully using the threat of deadly force against me for ANY reason, justifies my right to use deadly force to defend myself?

If someone threatens you with deadly force, it doesn't really matter why, as long as they are not stopping you from committing a forcible felony.
    Which seems to be what this guy is doing.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I listened for a half hour, did not hear any discussion though, just the announcer reiterate what happened and trying to explain the law. Between the commercial breaks and repeats not much was said. This reminded me of the TV shows that replay the last five minutes before the break after the four minute break for those that cannot remember the last ten minutes.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    The real questions [in this case]; What's the stuff in your unlocked car worth to you? Is it worth jail time?

Unauthorized entry of a motor vehicle (IC 35-43-4-2.7) is, currently, a class B misdemeanor. None of the felony enhancements of this particular code apply to this incident.

The round(s) fired by the homeowner were not found. The suspect never turned themselves into a local hospital with a gunshot wound. Neither did a neighbor report new holes to their residence.

Did the homeowner call police with the description of the suspect before confronting them? No... they did not.

Did the homeowner call police advising of the crime in progress, and a description of the suspect, which was apparently being transmitted in semi-real time to their phone? No... They did not.

Full on cowboy ensued: The homeowner confronted the subject and when he thought his life was in danger, fired a shot, or shots, in their direction, [missing them and sending the round(s) who knows where].

The call came out as a "shots fired" call with the homeowner, and victim of unauthorized entry of a motor vehicle, as the complainant.

Do the math... If the homeowner had struck a neighbor...they'd possibly be looking at some sort of manslaughter, over a B misdemeanor for his [unlocked] car.

Lock your cars. Take the valuables out of them. Hide what's valuable. Don't be a victim.

DO be smart with your guns.

DO be smart with your actions.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Yes, the threat of deadly force against you allows you to respond with deadly force. The "victim" in this case was not presented with a deadly force threat.

Top Bottom