• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    This happened last night in a small town near me....about 10:30 p.m. car pulls in front of another car and slams the brake. A girl gets out and says they are having car trouble...The guy gets out and pops the hood of the "disabled car" and 4 guys surround him, one pulls a gun and he is robbed....They were lucky the good Samaritan was not carrying, could have been much different.....That's why I never leave the house unarmed....Here is the article

Police: Robbers fake car trouble to hold up motorist | WANE

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You just don't know if you should try to help people any more.
    But yes, I never leave home without it.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Car with 5 strangers pulls in front of you, brakes hard, then you sit there while driver comes back to your car, then you get out? At "pulls out in front and brakes hard", I'm outta there - pass them or otherwise get away. So much stupidity here...

If I see a stranger in distress, I'll call 911.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...then you get out?

NEVER+GET+OUT+2.jpg

Applies to road rage too.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Damsel in distress is the oldest trick in the book. It's tough for most dudes to tell a cute girl "**** off" and hit the accelerator, and that's why it still works.

But, girl, if you got five dudes in the car with you, y'all can figure it out. What, are ALL your cell phones dead? lol

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    In thousands of years of recorded human history things have not gotten any better regarding criminals. They're always going to be around.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I almost had a crash one morning with a van coming from the other direction. He crashed and ended up in the lane right beside me. I turned onto the street I was waiting to turn on. I told my son to walk to the house we were going to and tell the boys we would leave in a moment. I got out, pocketed my keys and called 911.
    I didn't find a just a victim of a car crash, I found so much more.
    I was a victim of a strong armed robbery, I didn't have my gun, I watched this man try to carjack many cars. I was key in the police finding him since I was watching him until they arrived.
    What I later learned, he had carjacked the van he crashed in front of me. I told myself when I left that morning, it's ok, you're just taking the boys to school, you don't need your gun. I became a victim and witness in that case. Thankfully he pled out, thankfully he is still in prison.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Was in Muncie last week and drove up to a vehicle dead in the road. Driver was standing outside the vehicle with the door open. I got a look inside the front and nobody else was there. No idea on the back.

I slowed and asked if she needed assistance. Said ran out of gas and no cell with her. I pulled ahead, turned on flashers and waited until she was half way to me. Dialed the number for her and handed her the phone.

Kept watch on the vehicle as she left a msg for her husband. She decided to wait there for him, no call for tow truck or 911 needed. I left but got four calls from the husband because he was confused about the voicemail she left, and was trying to locate her.

When I was rolling up to her to begin with I decided that if there were multiple people but looked shady I would drive on by. I never felt in harm's way. Open area of road, daylight, no hiding spots and kept the vehicle between me and the damsel in distress, just in case.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Why no description of the thugs? Wane TV doing their PC dance like usual?

You're jumping to a conclusion based on bias with no factual information. What does it matter what they looked like?

Regardless of race or ethnicity, they're criminals. And stopping to help 4 men and a woman that you don't know is stupid regardless of what they look like.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Was in Muncie last week and drove up to a vehicle dead in the road. Driver was standing outside the vehicle with the door open. I got a look inside the front and nobody else was there. No idea on the back.

I slowed and asked if she needed assistance. Said ran out of gas and no cell with her. I pulled ahead, turned on flashers and waited until she was half way to me. Dialed the number for her and handed her the phone.

Kept watch on the vehicle as she left a msg for her husband. She decided to wait there for him, no call for tow truck or 911 needed. I left but got four calls from the husband because he was confused about the voicemail she left, and was trying to locate her.

When I was rolling up to her to begin with I decided that if there were multiple people but looked shady I would drive on by. I never felt in harm's way. Open area of road, daylight, no hiding spots and kept the vehicle between me and the damsel in distress, just in case.

It's a shame we have to be on our guards all the time. But as others have said upthread, people are people and some of them are thieves and robbers -- always had them, always will. They just invent new schemes to prey on our willingness to aid those in need. Good for you for helping her out. As I picture the scenario you describe, I think I would have done the pretty much the same thing.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    It's a shame we have to be on our guards all the time. But as others have said upthread, people are people and some of them are thieves and robbers -- always had them, always will. They just invent new schemes to prey on our willingness to aid those in need. Good for you for helping her out. As I picture the scenario you describe, I think I would have done the pretty much the same thing.

Nothing but an obervation to add - why do we - and why do "snowflakes" - even think such a thing IS NOT the case.
    [ETA to clarify - why do we /they think you there is reason to NOT be on your guard?]

When and where ... did (or will) humans ever live, past, present or future
    that afforded one the PRIVILEGE of not being on your guard?

It's a fantasy or perhaps at best - a promise for those of faith - for their life after this one. It's a state that does not exist. and never has - so, why are we all so shocked?
    I get we need places of 'relative security' from some things for some periods of rejuvenation. A place called "Home"; "In Good Company"; similar ...

But when you're out in the world? on the road? ... we all (me included) need to revisit that thought that assumption ... I suppose.

YMMV, IMO, and all such disclaimers apply. :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nothing but an obervation to add - why do we - and why do "snowflakes" - even think such a thing IS NOT the case.
    [ETA to clarify - why do we /they think you there is reason to NOT be on your guard?]

When and where ... did (or will) humans ever live, past, present or future
    that afforded one the PRIVILEGE of not being on your guard?

It's a fantasy or perhaps at best - a promise for those of faith - for their life after this one. It's a state that does not exist. and never has - so, why are we all so shocked?
    I get we need places of 'relative security' from some things for some periods of rejuvenation. A place called "Home"; "In Good Company"; similar ...

But when you're out in the world? on the road? ... we all (me included) need to revisit that thought that assumption ... I suppose.

YMMV, IMO, and all such disclaimers apply. :)

I can't argue with any of this. I guess one thought would be our desire to be compassionate sometimes over powers our sense of danger. Or...if we've never really been a victim of violence or close to someone who has, maybe it's the normalcy bias that gets into this trouble? Don't know. But you're right...we should always be aware and we sometimes need to be reminded of it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why no description of the thugs? Wane TV doing their PC dance like usual?

This isn't about "PC", it's about catching the criminals.

Having as much information as possible about the crime, including time, location, description of the perp(s), etc, gives the best chance that somebody may have seen something in the area around that time that could help apprehend the criminal(s).

Unless requested by the police to withhold something, I've NEVER understood why a news outlet would not report the ENTIRE description of the crime the police have from the victims.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I only have criticism with ONE part of this. NEVER EVER hand over your phone, regardless of how innocent they seem. It has been used as a ruse to lower your guard while simultaneously removing any lifeline you have to get help. A month or so ago a young lady (17) approached a lady in a nearby apartment parking lot and claimed she was in trouble and needed to call for help. The lady handed over her phone and as soon as she did, the girl pocketed it and her accomplice appeared with a gun. I'll skip what happened in the middle, but 45 minutes later when they finally left, she was unable to call police quickly. She had to run door to door to find someone to help.

Instead get the number and call on their behalf. Or call 911 for them. I would argue, especially with a disabled vehicle that 911 is the safest bet; not only are you summoning help for her, but you are also hedging your bet in case there is someone lying in wait to do bad things. The police are already summoned and should they (bad guys) appear, you may have help arriving shortly.

But kudos to your for helping.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Well stated Cameramonkey. Tried to rep you, but I have to spread some around.
    It's sad that this is what our society has come to. That we must have constant situational awareness at all times, even when trying to help someone.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    You're jumping to a conclusion based on bias with no factual information. What does it matter what they looked like?

No, Wane TV purposefully withholds details in the name of their PC agenda often.

This isn't about "PC", it's about catching the criminals.
    Having as much information as possible about the crime, including time, location, description of the perp(s), etc, gives the best chance that somebody may have seen something in the area around that time that could help apprehend the criminal(s).

Unless requested by the police to withhold something, I've NEVER understood why a news outlet would not report the ENTIRE description of the crime the police have from the victims.

Pretty much on point.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I only have criticism with ONE part of this. NEVER EVER hand over your phone, regardless of how innocent they seem. It has been used as a ruse to lower your guard while simultaneously removing any lifeline you have to get help. A month or so ago a young lady (17) approached a lady in a nearby apartment parking lot and claimed she was in trouble and needed to call for help. The lady handed over her phone and as soon as she did, the girl pocketed it and her accomplice appeared with a gun. I'll skip what happened in the middle, but 45 minutes later when they finally left, she was unable to call police quickly. She had to run door to door to find someone to help.

Instead get the number and call on their behalf. Or call 911 for them. I would argue, especially with a disabled vehicle that 911 is the safest bet; not only are you summoning help for her, but you are also hedging your bet in case there is someone lying in wait to do bad things. The police are already summoned and should they appear, you may have help arriving shortly.

But kudos to your for helping.

Good call on the phone, but in my case my truck has onstar so worse case I could still get help.

I am trying to think how I would react to a stranger calling and leaving a voicemail about my wife. I think I would be more concerned for her safety since I didn't hear directly from her.

Interesting thoughts tho.... I am considering all

Top Bottom