• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    Ok. So my LTCH was approved TODAY HOORAY! Now I have to wait for it to come in the mail. I will NOT carry until it does. I want to be clear on that so no one jumps down my throat when I ask what I’m about to ask... It got me to thinking about what if I left my wallet at home for some reason and had my firearm, etc... I even asked a LEO friend of mine and he had no idea what happens or what the punishment is if you carry without your license on you. Is it an infraction? Misdemeanor? Do they confiscate until you produce the license? What happens?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The individual officer would have a fair amount of discretion with how to handle that. First - do whatever they tell you to do.

Second, IF they can't confirm your a proper LTCHer, and IF they decide to disarm you, you should be able to retrieve your firearm upon presentation of the LTCH and other identifying docs.

Third, IF it goes further than that and a prosecutor gets involved, presentation of your LTCH to them should resolve that issue.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I thought there was no requirement to carry the Larry? Has that changed?

I typically don't carry a wallet, but my LTCH and D/L is on my phone.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Umm, you no longer HAVE to carry it with you. The law changed a few years ago. So nothing would happen for not having it with you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Not trying to bash anyone, but how does your Law Enforcement Officer friend not know the answer to this question?

And it is a good question, applause to you for being responsible and asking all the questions before going out into the wild. just seems like a person who is an officer would have ran into this enough times/practiced protocol for this situation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not trying to bash anyone, but how does your Law Enforcement Officer friend not know the answer to this question?

And it is a good question, applause to you for being responsible and asking all the questions before going out into the wild. just seems like a person who is an officer would have ran into this enough times/practiced protocol for this situation.

Probably because he isn't a d**k. If a person doesn't have his LTCH, and it can be verified on the scene, and the officer has no intention of arresting such a person, it's not an issue.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Umm, you no longer HAVE to carry it with you. The law changed a few years ago. So nothing would happen for not having it with you.

This is correct - and as a bonus - if an officer runs your Driver's License - it tells them if you have an LTCH or not.

that said - I keep mine on me / with me. - but mine is one of the older paper / laminate it yourself kind.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Not all agencies have clearly articulated policies on this, and not all officers are familiar with them.

Indeed, it is a credit to those involved to sort out what the "right" thing is before it happens.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I carry without my LTCH on me all the time.

Specifically what are you worried about? Jail, right?

I even asked a LEO friend of mine and he had no idea what happens or what the punishment is if you carry without your license on you. Is it an infraction? Misdemeanor? Do they confiscate until you produce the license? What happens?

The punishment is severe. The judge orders you to room with rhino for the weekend in a Baymont Inn in Lafayette, Indiana . . . WITHOUT CABLE!

If you cannot prove that you are licensed, then you go to jail for a misdemeanor.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The punishment is severe. The judge orders you to room with rhino for the weekend in a Baymont Inn in Lafayette, Indiana . . . WITHOUT CABLE!
    I would totally take that 8A case on contingency.

Meellions and meellions of dollars.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    If your LTCH is officially approved, nothing will happen. The problem people seem to have is that they apply for the LTCH and then think they're good to go. If it's denied or pending payment, it's not valid.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    I carry without my LTCH on me all the time.

Specifically what are you worried about? Jail, right?

If you cannot prove that you are licensed, then you go to jail for a misdemeanor.

Wait, so you’re telling me I DON’T need to wait until the actual license gets here as long as I can prove that I have one?

And my LEO friend is a narcotics detective and doesn’t do patrol. He told me all the people with guns he comes in contact with shouldn’t have one. He’s never run across the situation.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wait, so you’re telling me I DON’T need to wait until the actual license gets here as long as I can prove that I have one?

I am telling you that as everyone single person on INGO read by traffic stop thread, you know to keep a copy of your LTCH in the ziploc bag in your glove box. No, not on pink paper like some clown, but on white paper.

Get the license, make a copy, stop obsessing over silly stuff. You have the license, start obsessing over the when, not the how. Go to school, a lot. Start obeying the traffic code so you don't get stopped.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    I am telling you that as everyone single person on INGO read by traffic stop thread, you know to keep a copy of your LTCH in the ziploc bag in your glove box. No, not on pink paper like some clown, but on white paper.

Get the license, make a copy, stop obsessing over silly stuff. You have the license, start obsessing over the when, not the how. Go to school, a lot. Start obeying the traffic code so you don't get stopped.

I drive a Prius. It’s almost impossible NOT to obey traffic laws in those things. They force you to drive like an old man and are under the radar of most police. Hahaha when I had my Charger it was a different story...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Not necessary to have it on your person anymore. I have the old paper kind that I've laminated and still keep it in my wallet.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster

So I just read that thread after you mentioned it. Good stuff. If I read it and the comments correctly, you seem to suggest that it's important to be quiet? Guess I'll have to add duck tape in the zip lock bag. I'm a preacher. We're never quiet. We also obsessively research whatever subjects we're interested in! :rofl:

Top Bottom