• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's a like a Fobus, but with the added bonus you can have such good retention even you can't get it out of the holster. I've mentioned the debris locking it up on INGO several times. I am not going to wear any holster that can lock up if I get pushed down in mud, gravel, or anything that could work it's way behind the mechanism. For range and play time? Whatever. For something you may need to fight with? Hard pass.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    It's a like a Fobus, but with the added bonus you can have such good retention even you can't get it out of the holster. I've mentioned the debris locking it up on INGO several times. I am not going to wear any holster that can lock up if I get pushed down in mud, gravel, or anything that could work it's way behind the mechanism. For range and play time? Whatever. For something you may need to fight with? Hard pass.

This. The fact that a minute amount of detritus can lock up the retention is the only reason I would not use this holster.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ive purchased several Fobus Holsters after ripping them off in FoF classes!;) Fobus and the Serpa are the two biggest POS’s available to the shooting world today!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

This. The fact that a minute amount of detritus can lock up the retention is the only reason I would not use this holster.

In addition to that, the belt loop attachment is downright fragile. You can break a holster off of the belt with surprisingly little force applied in the right direction. A friend of mine was issued a SERPA by Blackwater years ago on a deployment to SW Asia. He caught the holster on the door jam of his vehicle when getting out and found his G19 (still in the holster body) at the end of its tether.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Nope nope and nope. i have hated serpas for years now even before i could carry a gun. I read about them jamming up (probably saw it here) so i went to my back step and let myself fall sideways onto my gun and into the snow and sure enough the snow jammed the button. I was able to repeat this problem several times until i broke that holster. I much prefer safarilands. I have beat the crap out of them both playing on the range and for work use and the only problem i have had was brass keeping the gun from seating a problem solved by knocking out the light plug. I have fallen several times on duty (i hate winter) and have yet to break or jam by safarilands. serpas just scare me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Huh.......I guess I should throw both of mine away then.

Never an issue but I am not in a job that may get me on the ground from an angry bad guy.In that I can see the issue I guess.
    I have used them since I found out about them. Years. Never a problem. Yet. But again.....I am not a LEO.
    Daily carry has been OK. I realize some folks tend to shoot themselves with these. I also know that a lot more folks shoot themselves with a freaking Glock. Do we blame the equipment or the user. I blame the user.
    I have hundreds of draw strokes with my serpa's. I wanted to have the muscle memory in place to use them. I like the retention. To many 5 year old girls out there and the terrorists (avatar) turn 5 next week so tensions are high.....:)

I respect the opinions given in here. Is there a better retention holster out there. Serious question.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    LOL, this guy said the same thing and look what he just did.

[video=youtube_share;LJ2Qg4xwHgg]http://youtu.be/LJ2Qg4xwHgg[/video]

To each their own I guess.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    CM, you never know if you'll get knocked down, etc.

Safariland is a vastly better product if you like plastic.

As far as equipment vs user... it can be both.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, you never know if you'll get knocked down, etc.

Safariland is a vastly better product if you like plastic.

As far as equipment vs user... it can be both.

My initial statement as to user is from being around far to many idiots I guess.
    I realize getting up-ended is always a possibility and can not be totally ruled out.
    I just want a retention secure holster. That is easy for the operator to wear/use. This reduces the issues one may face out in the big scary.
    I will look into the safariland products.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've heard it called the "holster of death" for two reasons. First getting jammed up and preventing you from drawing. Second from getting stuck and pushing hard with the finger so when it does come loose, your finger hooks into the trigger guard and you shoot yourself.

I use one and I'm always on a look for a different option. I like the active retention. Passive retention holsters are fine, but I would hold the same argument. If you're in a situation to get thrown down into the snow, mud, etc. or you're "bumping it on the door jam" and breaking the holster, what are you going to do when your gun is knocked out of the holster and away from you? With the serpa, someone isn't just going to grab the butt of the gun and snatch it away. I want some sort of active retention.

All that in mind, Blackhawk could easily fix the Serpa by enclosing the mechanism with a silicone boot, and moving it to the thumb side (or just away from the trigger). I think I saw another holster with a thumb button, so there might be a patent problem.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This is probably the most popular ALS holster. They make it for all kinds of models.

[video=youtube_share;rOSoRZ0e7yQ]http://youtu.be/rOSoRZ0e7yQ[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My initial statement as to user is from being around far to many idiots I guess.
    I realize getting up-ended is always a possibility and can not be totally ruled out.
    I just want a retention secure holster. That is easy for the operator to wear/use. This reduces the issues one may face out in the big scary.
    I will look into the safariland products.

The Safariland ALS holsters are not only more sturdy and less like to fail, but they're also simpler and easier to use. Win-win-win.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Huh.......I guess I should throw both of mine away then.

Never an issue but I am not in a job that may get me on the ground from an angry bad guy.In that I can see the issue I guess.
    I have used them since I found out about them. Years. Never a problem. Yet. But again.....I am not a LEO.
    Daily carry has been OK. I realize some folks tend to shoot themselves with these. I also know that a lot more folks shoot themselves with a freaking Glock. Do we blame the equipment or the user. I blame the user.
    I have hundreds of draw strokes with my serpa's. I wanted to have the muscle memory in place to use them. I like the retention. To many 5 year old girls out there and the terrorists (avatar) turn 5 next week so tensions are high.....:)

I respect the opinions given in here. Is there a better retention holster out there. Serious question.
    Listen to Chuck Haggard’s portion of the poscast, after years with the Serpa and thousands of presentations, he still thinks it’s dangerous. He was actually partnered with Blackhawk and doesn’t like the holster.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In addition to that, the belt loop attachment is downright fragile. You can break a holster off of the belt with surprisingly little force applied in the right direction. A friend of mine was issued a SERPA by Blackwater years ago on a deployment to SW Asia. He caught the holster on the door jam of his vehicle when getting out and found his G19 (still in the holster body) at the end of its tether.

yep. The Serpa holsters aren't even considered real retention holsters due to their fragility.

No one who considers themselves to be serious about carrying a handgun for self defense will use a Serpa ONCE THEY KNOW BETTER TO NOT USE A SERPA.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom