• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not optimal, but I used to run 158 fr lead semi-wadcutters in my .38. Way better advancements in bullet tech these days to use them.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    In the long-ago days of my youth in law enforcement a hollow-based wadcutter loaded upside down with the cavity forward was considered a deadly self-defense load.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't want to get shot with anything with a flat nose. I've seen what a flat meplat does to squirrels. I bet they would work fine in a revolver. Might not feed well in the avg auto pistol.:popcorn:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Good, no. Better than RN, yes. It came about with low power/recoil revolver rounds that didn't have enough velocity to open up hollow points.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They aren't optimal, but they have a place for guns and/or shooters that won't take +P. They are less likely to glance off bone than round nose, and they get sufficient penetration at a low recoil point.

If we're talking about a .38 snubby, standard pressure rounds aren't going to expand much, or at all, anyway. If they did, they wouldn't penetrate enough.

If we're talking bigger calibers, like the .45 Colt, they are a way to have a bullet that cuts a nice hole at a lower recoil than a bullet profile that doesn't fill as much of the space inside the casing.

TL;DR: They have a place, but there are better options for those who can take advantage of them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    158gr Lead semi wadcutter +P out of a snub is hard to downplay.

And far better than 148 wadcutters by a huge margin. One time I was putting vent holes in a 55 gallon burn barrel with a 442.. 148 wadcutters dented the steel and 158lswc easily holed the steel. Of course, it was steel not flesh but....

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Liberty if you like me, remember carrying a snubby with reverse lead wad cutter's we ARE showing our age, remember too the super vel ammo made in Shelbyville and or Speers 200 Gr .45 flying ashtray rounds.

I still have some .38 and .357 Reverse wad cutters in my attic, collecting dust.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Liberty if you like me, remember carrying a snubby with reverse lead wad cutter's we ARE showing our age, remember too the super vel ammo made in Shelbyville and or Speers 200 Gr .45 flying ashtray rounds.

I still have some .38 and .357 Reverse wad cutters in my attic, collecting dust.

You betcha. I actually still HAVE some Super Vels that my Dad bought (also a LEO) back in the day.

Top Bottom