• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    In April IÂ’m moving my daughter & son in law & their family to Minnesota. My dilemma is .... traveling through Illinois, then into Iowa, & finally ending up in Minnesota. I checked & it appears that Illinois & Minnesota do not honor IndianaÂ’s License To Carry Handgun. So what do I with my handgun while in those states? Can I store it in my TSA approved lock box? Is there someone I can contact for the proper & LEGAL way to protect the firearm while not on my person?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    In April IÂ’m moving my daughter & son in law & their family to Minnesota. My dilemma is .... traveling through Illinois, then into Iowa, & finally ending up in Minnesota. I checked & it appears that Illinois & Minnesota do not honor IndianaÂ’s License To Carry Handgun. So what do I with my handgun while in those states? Can I store it in my TSA approved lock box? Is there someone I can contact for the proper & LEGAL way to protect the firearm while not on my person?

Are we talking vehicle storage while in transit? I believe you are fine in Taxinois as long as you don't exit your vehicle. Otherwise I think no ammo or magazine's near handgun and not accessible in a lock box. If all else fails contact the respective State police for definite answer.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I will have to look up Minnesota law but in Illannoy with your CCW from Indiana you are legal to carry inside your vehicle. If you exit the vehicle the firearm must remain inside and secured. To be secure you must lock it inside, loaded is fine. Jim.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Illinois: Can be loaded and on your person. You must be in you car or right next to it, i.e. pumping gas. Otherwise locked in car.
    Minnesota gladly told me how easy there reciprocity is. You can have your hand gun with you but it must be unloaded and in a case. A lot of good that'll do.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    IANAL - As stated, you can travel through Illinois, but firearm stays in vehicle. Minnesota is a no go, from what I can tell, and I don't believe safe passage laws will protect you.

Your destination is Minnesota, where your Indiana license to carry a handgun is not recognized, meaning you can't legally be in possession of a firearm. Federal safe passage protects you when traveling through a prohibited state to a place where you are legal to carry.

This is from my CCW app from Minnesota code: 624.714 CARRYING OF WEAPONS WITHOUT PERMIT; PENALTIES. Subd. 1a.Permit required; penalty. A person, other than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place, as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c), without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

Having said all of that, concealed means concealed. First offense is a gross misdemeanor. If you're only making one trip....

I know what I would do in your shoes, but to each his/her own.

Good luck!

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Thank You all for the input. What is a gross misdemeanor? A fine & or loss of my firearm? I was “content “on how I would be handling Illinois but Minnesota has me concerned. Yes in & out in about three days but I can’t afford to lose my firearm over this, & I do plan to return to visit. Last night I sent a request to Minnesota public safety requesting the official version on this. Hopefully Minnesota will have a way to allow for me to legally store it while in state. This also is true for my wife & brother in law who also are going & carry also.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Thank You all for the input. What is a gross misdemeanor? A fine & or loss of my firearm? I was “content “on how I would be handling Illinois but Minnesota has me concerned. Yes in & out in about three days but I can’t afford to lose my firearm over this, & I do plan to return to visit. Last night I sent a request to Minnesota public safety requesting the official version on this. Hopefully Minnesota will have a way to allow for me to legally store it while in state. This also is true for my wife & brother in law who also are going & carry also.

Well, the Minnesota Office of the Revisor of Statutes defines Gross Misdemeanor as such: Subd. 4.Gross misdemeanor. "Gross misdemeanor" means any crime which is not a felony or misdemeanor. The maximum fine which may be imposed for a gross misdemeanor is $3,000."

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Stop in Indiana, unload, lock it in a lockbox in the trunk, then gas up and don't stop in Illinois for anything. Minnesota doesn't recognize and Illinois is Illinois.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Stop in Indiana, unload, lock it in a lockbox in the trunk, then gas up and don't stop in Illinois for anything. Minnesota doesn't recognize and Illinois is Illinois.
    WOW!!! You most certainly have some catching up to do about Illinois.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Illinois: You can have a loaded handgun in the vehicle but can not carry it outside of the vehicle. Must be out of sight and stored in locked vehicle if you exist.

Minnesota: Must be unloaded and cased when transporting. Unloaded means chamber AND magazine must be empty (seems obvious, but Minnesota law actually points out that a handgun with an empty chamber is still considered loaded if the magazine has ammo in it).

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I received word back from Minnesota Public Safety that as stated above.. kept in a locked box unloaded is a legal way to transport in that state. Not my way of choice but I won’t be there long & hopefully national reciprocity will kick in by the next time I go back.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Well, the Minnesota Office of the Revisor of Statutes defines Gross Misdemeanor as such: Subd. 4.Gross misdemeanor. "Gross misdemeanor" means any crime which is not a felony or misdemeanor. The maximum fine which may be imposed for a gross misdemeanor is $3,000."

Looking at that link, I could not find the potential jail time for a "gross misdemeanor". If it could be one year, then IIRC a conviction could prevent a person from successfully filling out a 4473.

In addition to getting pulled over in a non-LTCH state, there's also the possibility of a major traffic accident - what happens if your car gets towed or impounded and you are unable to retrieve the gun, or you need to remove your belongings from the car while police are present? I'd bet that the odds of that are greater than needing a gun for self-defense.

Top Bottom