• ...and so much more!
  • speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    So lets say that the proposed bill to restrict 'assault' rifles in Florida would have passed, how would that have impacted the thousands of AR15 owners in that state?

Same question about the proposed bump stock restriction. If that passes at a federal level, how does that impact the people that already own a bump stock?

Just curious how new regulations impact people that already own the restricted item.

Thanks.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It depends on how the bill was written.

Find the number for the bill the FL committee shot down, then look it up and read it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Time to call your Congress critters

Let them know we are watching and won’t tolerate any bull****. Not one ****ing inch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not sure how it would have affected law abiding gun owners, but it would have been about as effective at stopping another mass murder as the existing "assault weapons" ban did to prevent the mass murder at Sandy Hook in Connecticut.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not sure how it would have affected law abiding gun owners, but it would have been about as effective at stopping another mass murder as the existing "assault weapons" ban did to prevent the mass murder at Sandy Hook in Connecticut.

Exactly. The thing that angers me most is the hipocracy that arises after these tragedies and you can quite easily see the agenda of the left being pushed. While other people see the sad countenance of the left making their gun control speeches, I can see the underlying glee that they once again have the opportunity to rail against law abiding citizens for no other reason than a sick, evil person chose to perform evil.

I posted this in another thread, but if the desire is to end school shootings (or at least drastically reduce them), it's not hard, or complicated. I see the need for a few things, make it hard or impossible for someone who is unstable to buy a weapon, give the authorities a method to confiscate weapons from those who are proven to be a threat to society, stop people from being able to get a weapon into school and finally provide an armed response if someone slips through the previous steps.

Here in Indiana, we're one of 5 states with a red flag law, which allows the authorities to confiscate weapons for those who are proven to be unstable and a possible threat. If we were serious about reducing school shootings, every one of the idiots talking about banning AR-15's would be proposing this to be a nationwide law, but I haven't heard about anyone proposing this. Thankfully the president and others are talking about fixing the background check system, which is needed. We need to make sure the right people are prevented from legally purchasing weapons. With those two items, nationwide red flag laws and a background check system that works as it should, you add schools having proper security. Either metal detectors should be in every entry/exit point, doors are always locked so that students / parents get buzzed in, or something that prevents someone easily bringing a weapon into the school. Lastly, you train and arm those teachers and other school staff who are willing. That way in the unlikely event someone makes it through the other obstacles, there is someone to provide a quick armed response. That's it. Maybe there are some smaller things that could be added into the mix to reduce the possibility of school shooting even further, but I believe with those 4 things school shootings would either end, or be so rare as to be non-existent. One of the largest reasons schools are targeted is that they are gun free zones and very much soft targets. Take that away and shooters lose a huge advantage.

Anyway, that's my :twocents:. Since we're not hearing anyone talk about the above, to my mind no one is actually serious about fixing the problem, they're just looking to take advantage of a tragedy for political gain.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Totally agree that any of the proposed restrictions will not make any impact on future mass shootings.

I guess I was more curious about peoples opinion about how any new regulations would be rolled out. I know for some things (like the high magazine ban) didnt impact anyone that already had them, but no new magazines could be manufactured. It seems this bump stock issue is gaining some traction.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah, it all depends on the wording of the various laws. The AWB that was proposed in OH yesterday basically bans any magazine or tube-fed semiautomatic firearms and had no provision for grandfathering. Most of the laws that ARE passed have grandfathering.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yeah, it all depends on the wording of the various laws. The AWB that was proposed in OH yesterday basically bans any magazine or tube-fed semiautomatic firearms and had no provision for grandfathering. Most of the laws that ARE passed have grandfathering.

That is from the state that elected Howard Metzenbaum for like 50 years, so...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe the lack of grandfathering was on propose to serve as a poison pill?

This Ohio thing is just feel good :poop:, right? There's not really a chance of movement there, correct?

Top Bottom