• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This student does NOT deserve a felony on his record for the rest of his life if he intended to do no harm. This **** is getting out of hand. Make an example out of what may very well be one of the good guys. Hopefully sanity prevails here. If not, SCREW Lake County. Next worst thing to the Peoples Republic of Illinois. Makes sense being right next door, I guess...

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Can not believe he went and turned himself in. Turn around, go back out to your car, and leave. Simple. Now a felon, if convicted, and barred from the 2a the rest of his life.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    END GF School Zone. /discussion.

Note for further discussion - he is (was?) an 18 yr old w/ his LTCH. ... yet as a student - even locked in the parking lot is a "no-go" ...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    END GF School Zone. /discussion.

Note for further discussion - he is (was?) an 18 yr old w/ his LTCH. ... yet as a student - even locked in the parking lot is a "no-go" ...

Agreed on both points. end the GFZ but still prohibit STUDENT guns in this situation as a private property rule. (no felony but expulsion)

Only two things make sense:
    Kid is a moron who thinks that he will get mercy for fessing up.
    They have random bag checks and he thought he could skate until it was apparent he was about to get searched.

Or another student noticed and he figured he could get mercy for tattling on himself before the other student could rat him out. (plea bargain of sorts)

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As noted he should have just left school and not mentioned it. It's like getting through TSA and forgetting about something you had in your bag...take your flight and mail it home if you have to...don't go tell TSA so you can do a perp walk.

That's a hard way to learn that many of those in authority are not going to be your friend if you can be made a horrible example of to their benefit.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hopefully they work something out so he doesn't end up with a felony.

Yeah....I'm pretty sure I would have left the school even if it meant skipping class and getting into some trouble over that...or just shut up and hope for the best through the end of the day.

Better than this.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What happened to prosecutorial discression or whatever it's called? I didn't used to think "justice" was intended to put the boot on the neck of the people but now as an adult I'm not so sure. I see real dangerous criminals go free with not a care in the world how many felonies they have and i see sometimes innocent or good people get the book thrown at them for mistakes or ignorance.
    When good an non criminal citizens with no record look at the court as a big bully and corrupt, and when federal and local authorities are jsed as hired bullys and thugs to hush political enemies then I think we have a big problem

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Hopefully they work something out so he doesn't end up with a felony.

Yeah....I'm pretty sure I would have left the school even if it meant skipping class and getting into some trouble over that...or just shut up and hope for the best through the end of the day.

Better than this.

I wish I had been this smart when I was 18....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wish I had been this smart when I was 18....

I not so sure I would have been. At 47, and 20 years of law talkin', this comes pretty easy. The kid clearly wanted to do what was right. That should count for something.

What happened to prosecutorial discression or whatever it's called?...

It hasn't had a chance to happen yet. The actual prosecutors are probably just seeing this today.

In wake of Florida and the fact that a robocall went out to parents (talk about a place where discretion could have been used), the police, realistically, couldn't do nothing. So, they make the arrest, I mean, there's loads of probable cause here...including a confession, and dump it on the desks of the prosecutors. Hopefully, "nothing" that is exactly what will happen when it gets sorted out.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I not so sure I would have been. At 47, and 20 years of law talkin', this comes pretty easy. The kid clearly wanted to do what was right. That should count for something.

It hasn't had a chance to happen yet. The actual prosecutors are probably just seeing this today.

In wake of Florida and the fact that a robocall went out to parents (talk about a place where discretion could have been used), the police, realistically, couldn't do nothing. So, they make the arrest, I mean, there's loads of probable cause here...including a confession, and dump it on the desks of the prosecutors. Hopefully, "nothing" that is exactly what will happen when it gets sorted out.

Yep I do understand what the cops where forced to act on. I actually don't blame the cops most of the time for arresting people. I think the biggest problem with the courts isn't the police it's the courts.
    I hate seeing a truly good person whole life destroyed for one mistake.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Shocked the reporter was actually willing to report it as an accident.

Expect a follow-up with the police obtaining a search warrant and "discovering assault weapons" in his home. Probably some inert grenades, too.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Shocked the reporter was actually willing to report it as an accident.

Expect a follow-up with the police obtaining a search warrant and "discovering assault weapons" in his home. Probably some inert grenades, too.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    1st mistake was bringing it to school. 2nd mistake was telling anyone. Definitely could have saved himself a whole world of trouble.

But how do you forget something like that? I find that so hard to understand.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When I was a kid I was shooting random stuff with my bb gun pistil before the bus came. I stuck it in my pocket and forgot it was there and later got on the bus with it. I realized it was in my pocket on the bus ride and waited for the right moment and chucked it out the window for retrieval later.
    If I would have got to school with it I would not have told a soul. The again when I was in high school we had people with guns in their trucks. No one cared.
    I think kids today in city schools are a bunch of wimps. If someone tried to shoot up a country school I think the results would be an ass whooping and the attacker being shot with their own gun.
    I'm not raising my kids to be helpless wimps. Yeah they are kods but they can fight and win and don't have to be helpless victims.

My kid was threatened by a group of kids and called a N word by black kids! Insert crazy eyes here. And it was observed by a school employee. Went through all the hoops went into school eventualy talked to the superintendent and nothing REAL was done. If my kid would have been the one to say that word to them i have zero doubt they would have expelled or suspended my kid. My kid HONESTLY had never even heard that word before that day.
    If my kid needs to defend themselves they have my total permission and training to do so. Whoop their asses to protect yourself kid. If you get kicked out I'll find you another school or I'll personally school you.
    Schools are a joke. No one in the school is going to protect your kid. They want them to hug it out in today's age.
    Take responsibility yourself

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Agreed on both points. end the GFZ but still prohibit STUDENT guns in this situation as a private property rule. (no felony but expulsion)

Only two things make sense:
    Kid is a moron who thinks that he will get mercy for fessing up.
    They have random bag checks and he thought he could skate until it was apparent he was about to get searched.

Or another student noticed and he figured he could get mercy for tattling on himself before the other student could rat him out. (plea bargain of sorts)

I'd leave discipline to the school - but dumb(BLEEP) move for sure.
    Discretion is there for a reason; not necessarily for "pleaing down" serious stuff; circumstances in less serious cases - might matter.

oh - said this before too - Zero Tolerance Policies are generally Zero Thinking policies (again in appropriate things /considerations.)

Top Bottom