Beretta Carry, Safety on Full Pull, or Safety off and Half Cocked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I carry a PX-4 G model which is decock only.

Hammer down, so I always practice several two shot groups, with the first the obvious double action then single. I practice this because of the difference of pull weights.

Very easy to double tap the second round due to the trigger pull being so much shorter and lighter. Fire two, decock, fire two, repeat until confident in the first pull being heavy followed by a feather weight second.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Before I converted my M9A1 to a G model I carried it safety off and hammer down. Now it doesn’t have a safety. My PX4 Compact is also a G model. I hate safeties.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I carry my 92A1 safety off, hammer down, chambered. I've heard people state that this is not drop proof, I yet to see evidence to discourage this practice.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry my 92A1 safety off, hammer down, chambered. I've heard people state that this is not drop proof, I yet to see evidence to discourage this practice.
    Whoever told you it isn’t drop safe is misinformed.

[video=youtube_share;9aQ_YNd35zk]https://youtu.be/9aQ_YNd35zk[/video]

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My 92F used to be regulated to range use only. I really liked shooting it, but I hated the safety.

I installed the G model conversion kit. It will fit any 92/96F model or newer. It fit perfectly in my 1984 vintage 92F and now I love my 92. As a decocker only, I feel confident in carry use of this gun (ignoring its weight and size).

Here are a few link to see what it looks like. If you shop around, you may find it cheaper, but most places are charging around $50.

Beretta M9 - 92/96 G Conversion Kit

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...beretta-m9a3-g-conversion-kit-prod105085.aspx

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    Do not have a Beretta, but carry another DA/SA pistol. Chamber loaded, hammer down, "safety" off. First shot is just like a DA revolver.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    When I was in the USAF and transition from the Model 15 Revolver (K frame was USAF Issue from 62-88,92) and we received our M9's we were mandated (as far as Security Forces) to carry with a round in the chamber and weapon on fire. Contrary to popular complaints the slide safety was not an issue of getting manipulated for us anyway.

I was in a training seminar with a LA Sheriff Deputy and he stated they carried their 92's on safe but when they drew the gun they did a downward swipe with their thumb much like one would do with a 1911. With the spring in the safety it flipped it up into fire with little effort. I tried it on the range and it does work.

As far as the PX 4 and such never messed with them so not sure how their ergonomics are for that.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    When I was in the USAF and transition from the Model 15 Revolver (K frame was USAF Issue from 62-88,92) and we received our M9's we were mandated (as far as Security Forces) to carry with a round in the chamber and weapon on fire. Contrary to popular complaints the slide safety was not an issue of getting manipulated for us anyway.

I was in a training seminar with a LA Sheriff Deputy and he stated they carried their 92's on safe but when they drew the gun they did a downward swipe with their thumb much like one would do with a 1911. With the spring in the safety it flipped it up into fire with little effort. I tried it on the range and it does work.

As far as the PX 4 and such never messed with them so not sure how their ergonomics are for that.

The 2nd paragraph is what I learned when I carried my Beretta 92FS. It's very slick. I could have the safety off by the time I hand the gun level and ready to fire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Right behind you
    Don't have any 92s or PX4s but if I did they would be carried like I carry my DA/SA CZs: decocked which means the hammer goes to wherever the decocker drops it. Half cock notch on CZs, all the way down on Berettas.

Safety off if it was an F model, which wouldn't stay that way for long (converted to G)

Saying "round in the chamber" is redundant. LOL who doesn't?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom