• GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I Am Not A Lawyer - My Opinion

If you were in your vehicle and were put in a place to defend yourself, then you would still be legally carrying.

If you were being car jacked and pulled from the vehicle, then I personally wouldn't see an issue long as you are able to articulate that you were in fear for your life an not protecting property.

If you are out mingling in public (walking down a street or eating in a non-posted restaurant) and were to use a firearm in defense of life, you are open to criminal charges. It would be up to the DA, in my opinion.

If you are in a posted GFZ in IL, then you are beyond the ability of the DA's help. I believe their hand would be forced.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Stay inside your vehicle with the CCW and you are legal. If you exit the vehicle the CCW must remain inside and out of sight and must be locked inside the vehicle. As long as the vehicle locks you do not have to unload. If the vehicle does not lock it must be secured inside a locked case secured to the vehicle. As far as having to use it the only reason I can see would be a car jacking and as stated already you must be defending your life not your property. Jim.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Never get off the boat . . . even if you really, really want mangoes.

Picture%2B5X.jpg

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Kirk has the right idea. Just gas up and drive on through. Traveling with a companion is nice since somebody can stay gunned up in the car during pitstops :)

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    I moved from IL and when I go back to visit I just get whatever I need here and don't leave my car until on private property. I have homeowners permission to carry on their property, which is legal. I only disarm if we go out to eat or something.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    As I understand the law, you may carry normally on your person, as long as you are in your vehicle, or in the immediate vicinity, for example, pumping gas. If you go inside the gas station, however, you must secure your firearm in your car.

IANAL

Talonap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Ill Annoys (IL) For now
    As I understand the law, you may carry normally on your person, as long as you are in your vehicle, or in the immediate vicinity, for example, pumping gas. If you go inside the gas station, however, you must secure your firearm in your car.

IANAL

Actually, you could only take the firearm out of the car to put it in your trunk. Just pumping gas would not be good. Gas is cheaper in Indiana anyway ... ;)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington

IANAL
    This is what I thought we learned here on INGO last summer....

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

IANAL

Unless you're LEOSA exempted. Even that doesn't always work in Chicago. One of my students was detained in Chicago while they "verified" his status as an Indiana sheriff's deputy; seemed to take them about four hours.

Top Bottom