• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I wonder what the opinions of the experienced folks around these here parts are with respect to changing ammunition for one's carry (and/or home defense) firearm based upon the weather. For the purposes of this question, assume you only have own a single handgun. Given the heavier clothing worn during cold months as compared to the summer, I was just thinkin...Tanks!

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Good ammo is going to punch through any clothing before getting down to business. HSTs and Gold Dots demonstrate this well. The only exception would be some next-gen hobo armor that's like nine layers of bullhide jackets or something equally ridiculous, or mousegun calibers which are pretty much always a crapshoot anyway when it comes to performance.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I carry only stuff that passes the FBI heavy clothing and penetration tests. So, no I don’t change based on the season. Doesn’t make any sense to me. Well performing ammo is well performong ammo regardless if the season.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The other thing with unnecessarily switching ammo is that it introduces variables and opportunities for failure (i.e. you have to verify reliability, re-check point of aim vs point of impact, etc.).

I like the idea of minimizing uncontrolled variables to maximize the probability of a successful outcome.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    BBI is the authority. Now for my opinion in order of importance

1) ammo must be reliable
    2) ammo must be accurate
    3) ammo should be a hollowpoint from a reputable manufacturer
    4) choose a quality, modern expanding bullet (preferably bonded or similar) that meets FBI/LEO criteria.

I do not change ammo. Pick a flavor, make sure it works in your gun and carry on.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I carry a mag of 115g +P hollow points in the pistol, one spare mag of 147g hollow points, and one spare mag of 125g FMJ.

That way I can assess the situation and choose the appropriate round. If the bad guy is wearing a heavy Carhartt or similar, I’d drop the 115g mag and pop in the 147’s. If he ducks behind a barrier, I’d switch to FMJ. Gotta keep all the tools available to be an effective operator.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I carry a mag of 115g +P hollow points in the pistol, one spare mag of 147g hollow points, and one spare mag of 125g FMJ.

That way I can assess the situation and choose the appropriate round. If the bad guy is wearing a heavy Carhartt or similar, I’d drop the 115g mag and pop in the 147’s. If he ducks behind a barrier, I’d switch to FMJ. Gotta keep all the tools available to be an effective operator.

Awesome! Operator zero award for you sir!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I just stagger my mags. 1st round is birdshot to stun the perp. While he's stunned, I can get a good sight picture for a Glaser Safety Slug in the ear canal. If that don't work I have rounds 3 through 19 as follows. 115 +p Critical Defense, 147 gr HST, 124 gr Gold dot, 90 gr Super Val hp, 124 gr Hydra-shok and last a 124 gr nato ball. Repeat the pattern until the mag is full.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :laugh: Now you guys are just messing with the new guy. Welcome to INGO.

Seriously just pick a modern name brand hollowpoint that works well in your gun and run with it.

edit: I am embarrassed to say that I will probably die in the streets. My Mon-Fri can’t let the customers see it gun is loaded up with 115 grain Federal HiShok 9BP. Talk about an oldie from the 80s. But it is reliable, shoots well in my gun and has a good real world track record. Being an older hollowpoint it fails the FBI denim tests and is prone to over penetrate and is also not bonded. My other guns I am running 124 grain gold dots (9mm) and 230 grain Golden Saber or HST (.45 acp). But I had a gold dot hang up in my PPS, so one and done. The gun does seem to like 115 grain Critical Defense and XTPs but I have not spent the money to really test those loads yet. For now I get by with an older bullet design because “I don’t live in Fallujia and 8 rounds to the face will work”. (Old INGO reference for the new guy)

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    BBI is the authority. Now for my opinion in order of importance

1) ammo must be reliable
    2) ammo must be accurate
    3) ammo should be a hollowpoint from a reputable manufacturer
    4) choose a quality, modern expanding bullet (preferably bonded or similar) that meets FBI/LEO criteria.

I do not change ammo. Pick a flavor, make sure it works in your gun and carry on.

Yep. Pick a good load. Vet and verify as above. Then, stop sweating about your ammo and focus on software (i.e. training, tactics, mindset, etc.).

Some good ammo candidates to start with - https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I use my summer ammo year round, I just put tiny little sweaters on it in the colder months. Plays hell with functioning though, only time my G19has a stoppage is when all those tiny little sweaters bunch up in the action.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I am switching to HST's in my XDE. I had the slide hang while chambering a critical defense a couple of times. They work fine in my XDM however

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Same stuff all year... Thugs can stand further apart in warm weather if they are concerned with over penetration.

:):

Top Bottom