• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There used to be threads here to highlight good examples of DGU... so here's one to get back on that track. It's a good thread to have, good to see when firearms are used in a positive way (good guys > bad guys).

Whether it be everyday civilian gun use, or law enforcement stopping a dangerous person... please highlight those here!

I'll get it started

The writing on this one is a bit confusing... it says one person broke in, then three... and says he wrestled the gun from the intruder, then that he retrieved his own gun. Not sure the article is very well written, but still turns out being good guy > bad guy.

Father shoots, kills intruder to protect kids, police say; no charges filed
    Father shoots, kills armed intruder to protect kids, police say | WPXI

This one has a dumb twist. Alleged robber gets shot, tries to play the victim afterward.

Son shoots robber to protect mom - Story | WAGA

"I was taking my grandson to doctor's appointment and had one foot in the car when suddenly a car was blocking my driveway," the woman said.

The woman doesn't want to be identified but told FOX 5 News, the driver immediately got out and rushed to her.

"He said 'Whose car is this? Give me the keys," the woman said.

Fulton County Police have identified the robber as Trystan Delk.

"I started screaming so loud that my son who was inside at the time heard me and came out to help," the woman said.

Police said the woman's son fired shots at Delk, hitting him multiple times.

"He still managed to drive himself to a nearby fire station where he tried to play the victim," the woman said. "He told them that he was the victim of an interstate shooting."

Next one... are internet cafes still a thing in America?

The photo of the guy that got away... looks like a 30rd Glock mag.

Security guard kills 2 armed robbers at Internet cafe

Two of three armed robbers who stormed into a Southside internet cafe late Sunday night were shot and killed by a security guard while a third robber and a getaway driver got away, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

Police responding to the Spin City Sweepstakes internet cafe on Beach Boulevard near Southside Boulevard about 11:30 p.m. found two robbers shot. Officers say one person with a gunshot wound died at the scene and the other died later at an area hospital.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Not just highlight the stories here, but send them off, weekly maybe, to our legislators and network affiliates too. Maybe a steady 'drip-drip-drip' of these stories will get through to them.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Motorcycle rider who shot, killed driver on I-5 won't be charged | KOMO

Man boxes in female motorcyclist on I-5 and stops her.

The Prosecutor's Office says Jones [the male] initiated the fight.
    At one point, the woman head-butted Jones, and he drove her head into the jersey barrier before taking her to the ground.
    The woman shot him in the chest when he tried to climb on top of her, the Prosecutor's Office says.

No charges for woman.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Officials: Guard shoots just-released inmate after attack | Fox News

This is six weeks ago, but remarkable for the...timing:

PHILADELPHIA – Authorities say a prison guard leaving work for the day has shot and critically injured a just-released inmate who attacked the officer in a parking lot near the prison.

The Philadelphia Department of Prisons says 26-year-old Jamal Bennett attacked the 66-year-old Currran-Fromhold Correctional facility guard around 11 p.m. Friday.

The guard fired his personal weapon, striking Bennett in the chest. Bennett was in critical condition at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital but was expected to survive.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The guard fired his personal weapon, striking Bennett in the chest. Bennett was in critical condition at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital but was expected to survive.

I realize this isn't how they meant it... but was expected to survive caught me as top notch reporting.

As in it is too bad he will live.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/man- ... ing-gunman

In Houston, an apparently unarmed defender is shot at several times by an attacker, but manages to wrestle for gun and shoot the attacker.

Clayton Cramer collected nearly 5,000 news articles on defensive gun usage and then totted up some stats. One of the things that popped out was that defenders turn criminal assailant's guns on the assailant FAR FAR more often than a defender's gun is used against the defender. To the tune of 227 to 11.

Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Agree this is a great idea for a thread. Sub'd.

I get that a lot.

Today's school shooting qualifies - Resource officer on the scene shot and killed the student that attempted to kill others.

INGO thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lls-high-school-maryland-school-confirms.html

And another:

Homeowner shoots armed man who refused to leave Phoenix home

A homeowner in west Phoenix allegedly shot and injured a suspect who was reportedly armed and refused to leave his home on Monday.

Det. Marianne Ramirez, a spokeswoman with the Phoenix Police Department, said the homeowner was confronted by the suspect at his front door in the area of 56th and Vernon avenues.

The suspect, only described as an adult male, was reportedly armed and refused to leave the premises.

Ramirez said a confrontation occurred between the two, leading the homeowner to shoot the suspect.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I get that a lot.

Today's school shooting qualifies - Resource officer on the scene shot and killed the student that attempted to kill others.

INGO thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lls-high-school-maryland-school-confirms.html

And another:

Homeowner shoots armed man who refused to leave Phoenix home

I heard about the school shooting on the Dana Show on the way home from work today. Darn glad to hear it. Love to have ammo like that to use against all the gun grabbers saying that guns in school don't help... :rolleyes:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/man- ... ing-gunman

In Houston, an apparently unarmed defender is shot at several times by an attacker, but manages to wrestle for gun and shoot the attacker.

Clayton Cramer collected nearly 5,000 news articles on defensive gun usage and then totted up some stats. One of the things that popped out was that defenders turn criminal assailant's guns on the assailant FAR FAR more often than a defender's gun is used against the defender. To the tune of 227 to 11.

Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens

Sounds like a good statistic to know.
    Anti-gunners often say that you will just have your gun away.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Quick request for clarification. Hypothetically, if an INGOer were to fire his (very classy) pistol into the ground for the expressed purpose of scaring a dog back into its fenced yard for fear that the dog might otherwise scare some children who might be arriving on the school bus soon... would that be a DGU?

;) :D

(Pardon the potential derail; I won't extend this part of the conversation.) ;)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Quick request for clarification. Hypothetically, if an INGOer were to fire his (very classy) pistol into the ground for the expressed purpose of scaring a dog back into its fenced yard for fear that the dog might otherwise scare some children who might be arriving on the school bus soon... would that be a DGU?

;) :D

(Pardon the potential derail; I won't extend this part of the conversation.) ;)

Works for me, but YMMV.

In other news: This is an older one, from last September, but it happened in my county and was notable for a) defense of a third party b) the assailant was unarmed, and c) defender shot assailant in the leg. On purpose, apparently.

Man shot during alleged assault arrested - Seguin Gazette: News

The Cliff's notes: 29 y.o. Brother A for unreported reasons starts beating Stepdad, "...hitting him hard and stomping on him.” Brother B comes out of house, observes beating, tries to stop Brother A but is unsuccessful. Brother B goes into house, gets gun, and when Brother A won't stop, Brother B shoots Brother A in the calf of the leg. Beating stops. Eventually deputies arrive on scene, but it appears that Brother A may have headed to a hospital in San Marcos, where deputies caught up with him and arrested him, booked on $8K bond. Stepdad was taken to Austin for treatment.

As for Brother B:
    “It doesn’t look like charges will be filed against him, because it appears he was defending the third person, who happened to be his stepdad, but the case will be submitted to the district attorney’s office for review,” he [Sheriff's investigator] said.

Follow-up per online court records: Brother A pled guilty/nolo contendere to misdemeanor "ASSAULT CAUSES BODILY INJURY FAMILY VIOLENCE", was sentenced to 90 days in the county jail, and court costs of $367. He has previous entries for felony conviction for burglary, and previous dismissed charges of "ASSAULT CAUSES BODILY INJURY FAMILY VIOLENCE" and criminal mischief.

I just googled him again to see what has transpired. It appears Brother A was killed in a car accident about a six weeks after the above event.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Chicago!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/m...bber-leaving-both-hurt-in-west-garfield-park/

A 57-year-old man was sitting in a the church at 8:09 p.m. in the 4400 block of West Maypole when a 27-year-old man walked in and announced a robbery, according to Chicago Police.

The two men then started shooting at each other, police said. The older man was struck in the left arm and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in good condition. The robber was shot multiple times in the chest and was in critical condition at Stroger Hospital.
    The 57-year-old legally owned his gun, police said.

I'm gonna guess the robber did not legally own his gun.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    IL: Chicago River North: Motorist With Concealed-Carry Saves Victim From 3-On-1

An armed suburban man with a concealed-carry license intervened in a 3-on-1 beating and robbery in River North yesterday evening, according to a witness and police.

The victim was in the 700 block of North Clark around 8:30 p.m. when three offenders wearing white surgical masks attacked him and began taking his property, police said.

A passing motorist who saw the robbery unfold pulled over, unholstered his concealed firearm and intervened in the attack. The three offenders fled westbound on Chicago Avenue as the concealed-carry holder protected the victim, according to a witness.

ETA: I swear I looked through the thread and did not see the two posts above citing this same story. Gah. Well, it's a good story, worth reading again.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom