• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Take-A-Hike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've taken a basic gun safety course, 2 classes on defensive shooting/drawing from a holster, got my LCTH, spent several hours at the shooting range learning to handle a variety of guns, spent time talking with the people at the gun shops and the gun and knife shows, and have done lots of reading on carrying a gun.

I finally decided yesterday to take my gun when I went running at one of my favorite, albeit semi-sketchy indy parks. I have a sig p938 and I took it concealed in a cloth/velcro belly holster (twisted it so I wore the gun on my hip). I carried it "hot" with the safety on. Probably one of the most empowering moments I've had in a long time because while I pray I never ever have to defend myself with a gun, I am choosing to not be a helpless victim.

Anyone else have fond memories of their first time "packing heat"??

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thats been almost 20 years ago for me. I don't remember the particulars but I know it was a Gen 1 Taurus PT111 in an Uncle Mikes holster. More or less a sock with a plastic belt clip on it.

You think everyone is looking at you and you're always touching your gun to make sure it's still there. That is what we hear the most from 1st timers.

Good on you for doing it the right way. Training first then doing the rest.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    When I first started carrying I did everything wrong...

Llama 1911 commander in an Uncle Mike's floppy, cloth IWB holster. No "training" for several years. Lots of stumbling and learning along the way to get where you are now.

Good on you for training, trying, and figuring out what works best for you!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Soon it will feel as natural as carrying your keys, wallet or a tune.
    Just don't get too comfortable that you don't keep your Situational Awareness up.

Take-A-Hike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First mile I kept feeling for my gun; quickly realized that was probably a serious faux pas but had to really focus on keeping my hands off. Glad I'm not the only one!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Soon you'll feel naked without it. You went at it responsibly, good for you.

I carried on an empty chamber for a little while. A round sitting in the chamber waiting to be fired made me a little uneasy at first. Doesn't phase me now, wouldn't have it any other way than loaded now.

BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    How about a not so fond memory?
    First time out I had a cheapo Uncle Mike's holster. I carried to the church where my son's scout troop met. Went to use the restroom. The holster flipped upside down and my pistol fell out of the holster and hit the tile floor. Didn't go off. No one saw it happen, but I vowed then and there that it would NEVER happen again. It hasn't. I quickly ordered an IWB kydex holster molded for the gun, and didn't carry again until I had it. Congrats on a successful first outing!

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    First time I carried was a striker-fired pistol without a loaded chamber, tucked into the front of my waistband mexican carry style.

I would not recommend it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's funny how many go for a cheap Uncle Mike's or similar holster for carry at first. I carried my first 2 or 3 times with an Outbags holster, which was an Uncle Mike's clone. It wasn't comfortable and the gun flopped around every time I took a step. I've tried numerous holsters since and have settled on a nice leather OWB holster that carries the gun securely and looks nice doing it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don’t really remember probably because I eased into it. I carried in my briefcase for years before going to on body

BKahuna

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    INDIANAPOLIS
    It's funny how many go for a cheap Uncle Mike's or similar holster for carry at first

They're cheap and ubiquitous. When you don't know any better, you think a holster is a holster. Why spend more? Once you try using it you realize the extra expense is absolutely necessary. At least for me it was.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Big step, congratulations on doing it "right".
    I'm not from Indy- is it legal to pack in a city park now?
    I didn't think it used to be, maybe I'm thinking of the Monon Trail?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    They're cheap and ubiquitous. When you don't know any better, you think a holster is a holster. Why spend more? Once you try using it you realize the extra expense is absolutely necessary. At least for me it was.

Yep, you're most likely correct. I know that was how I felt about it until I learned better.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don’t really remember probably because I eased into it. I carried in my briefcase for years before going to on body

Briefcase carry can be badass. :D

PC190904-660x495.jpg

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Big step, congratulations on doing it "right".
    I'm not from Indy- is it legal to pack in a city park now?
    I didn't think it used to be, maybe I'm thinking of the Monon Trail?

Carry in parks or on trails has been legal since State preemption became law. Look up IC 35-47-11.1-1...7 when you get time.

Top Bottom