• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    As I suppose many people do, I have a bucket of sand as a makeshift bullet trap. It's to be used for various questionable firearm safety situations. My bucket is here beside my little station where I play with my guns, cleaning, polishing, lubricating, coonfingering, etc. This desk is in an interior room of my home, on a residential lot inside the I 465 loop.

Now suppose hypothetically, for whatever reason, maybe a function test or a negligent discharge or even just plain orneriness, I were to pop a bullet or two into my bucket.......... What legal liability or ramifications could I encounter? Do I have a reasonable expectation of privacy in my home? Or am I still discharging a firearm inside city limits just like I was shooting off my porch? Would the possibility of the faint but unmistakable sound of gunfire be probable cause enough to warrant a forcible search? Or could I say to any questioning policemen "Hey! You kids get off my lawn!"?

And because someone is going to ask, yes I have rode my motorcycle in the house too. The wife made me scrub black rubber marks off the white kitchen floor tiles. That's how I got caught.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We hav a neighbor that got ornery and put 3 rounds into the bedroom closet a few weeks ago. His spouse called LEO and he has still not been seen.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I touched-off a .22-250 from inside a buddy's house once. We were in the kitchen and noticed a couple 'yotes out in the back 40 so decided to take 'em out...from inside so as not to spook 'em. Let's just call that one a 'tactical miscalculation'....

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I had a cousin that shot an M1 in the house. It was raining and he wanted to shoot it. The backstop was straight out the back door, so he propped open the door got in the prone position on the floor and shot a few clips through it. Loud doesn't even begin to describe it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't see how anybody could pinpoint the location of gunfire with just one or two rounds....I wouldn't want to do it anyways though.

It's possible.
    Shotspotter is deployed in over 90 US cities, including in Indiana like in South Bend.
    One round shot outside of your house is enough to send the cops at your address.

ShotSpotter Gunshot Detection and Location Service | Protect Critical Infrastructure, Campuses, Cities

ShotSpotter.png

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a friend who had a ND with a 9mm in the house while the rest of the family was sleeping. They didn't even wake up he says.

And the shot spotter talked about above didn't send the cops either as it was in South Bend.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Backstop and hearing protection is important. If you plan to shoot a lot so is ventilation. As someone who has fired weapons in confined spaces I can tell you that the ringing will not stop.

As for engaging in "various questionable firearm safety situations" please advise ahead of time so we can a: leave b:watch the news.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a friend who had a ND with a 9mm in the house while the rest of the family was sleeping. They didn't even wake up he says.

I responded on a medical call to a guy who shot himself in the leg with a .40. Same thing, girl friend sleeping in the bedroom did not wake up.

Multiple rounds might get attention tho.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members