• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm currently working a field assignment in Minnesota, so I decided to submit an application for a MN non-resident permit. On Saturday April 17th I attended a class in Pine Island Minnesota to satisfy the training requirement for the MN Permit to Carry. Minnesota requires applications to be submitted in person at the county Sheriff's office, which is only open from 8 to 5 Monday through Friday 9 (for permit applications). So today was the first day that my working hours would allow me to visit the Sheriff's office.

This morning I dropped off my application, along with my training certificate, at the Dakota County Sheriff office in Hastings, MN. My old MN non-res permit had expired, so I missed the renewal window. The only difference in Minnesota between applying for a new permit as compared to a renewal is $25. A renewal is $50, a new permit is $75 (some counties are more).

It's a bit of a pain in Minnesota because you have to submit the paperwork in person, Minnesota does not take applications in the mail. The nice thing is that a non-resident can submit the application in any county of his choice. The fee in Dakota County is $75. Some counties charge $100.

They told me it would take about 30 days for it to arrive in the mail.

There's a Cabela's not far from where I'm staying in MN, they offer the Utah class about one Saturday per month. I'm planning to take the Utah class in May.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Does it gain you anything besides MN? And do you need a reason, such as working in MN, to apply?

Doesn't gain me anything in terms of additional states (besides MN) that I don't already have between my Indiana, Arizona, and Florida permits. But I can't carry in Minnesota with any of those and I may be up here for several months.

Don't need a reason. Minnesota is a shall issue state.

Officers at the Sheriff's office were very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:

Luka93A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 28, 2017
    North Vernon
    I've always wondered about this. I thought about going to college in Washington, but wasn't sure whether or not I would be able to get a permit since I wouldn't be a long term resident. Were they all fairly easy to obtain? Anything that you ran into that an Indiana resident doesn't have to go through?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've always wondered about this. I thought about going to college in Washington, but wasn't sure whether or not I would be able to get a permit since I wouldn't be a long term resident.
    There is no requirement to be a long term resident, you don't have to be a resident of Minnesota at all. You will simply apply for a non-resident permit and give them your permanent address, where ever that happens to be (mine is in Indiana, and my Minnesota non-resident permit has my Indiana address on it). If you have had any other addresses during the past 5 years, you will need to list those also.

If you do eventually take up permanent residence in Minnesota, then you can apply for a change to a resident permit. But if you're just going to school up there, you're probably not going to become a Minnesota resident just for that - but I honestly do not know how that works. If you ever get a Minnesota drivers license, that would probably be the time to change to a Minnesota resident permit.

Some states issue non-resident permits to residents of other states. Minnesota is one of those. Indiana doesn't issue non-resident permits, but they honor all other states / countries permits.

Were they all fairly easy to obtain?
    Very easy. You do have to take a training class in Minnesota every 5 years taught by someone who is registered as a certified Minnesota instructor. You bring your training certificate with you when you submit your paperwork, and they do check their computer to verify that your instructor is in the Minnesota system. But that is no big deal, because when you search for a training class for your Minnesota permit, the training outfits advertise that they are a Minnesota certified training class / instructor. If you're interested, I can give you the contact information for the training outfit that I used, they have several locations in Minnesota.

Anything that you ran into that an Indiana resident doesn't have to go through?
    Just the training class. That's the only thing that Indiana doesn't require.
    To balance that off, there is something that Minnesota DOES NOT require that Indiana DOES require. In Minnesota, you DO NOT have to submit fingerprints, in Indiana you DO have to submit fingerprints. So the PIIA of taking the class and applying in person, is offset by no PIIA of getting fingerprinted. I think the classes are a lot of fun anyway, so I enjoyed my day in class and the range time. Was actually a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just to close the loop on this thread. I came home last weekend but didn't go to the post office to pick up the mail. I was in Ohio fishing earlier this week. My wife came home while I was gone and she picked up the mail.

When I came home on Wednesday was pleasantly surprised to find my Minnesota permit in the mail. The letter from the issuing Sheriff's Department in Minnesota, Dakota County, was dated May 2nd. So it took them 23 days to issue the permit from the day I submitted my application.

Great. Now I will no longer have the hassle and frustration of having to disarm prior to crossing the Minnesota state line.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just to close the loop on this thread. I came home last weekend but didn't go to the post office to pick up the mail. I was in Ohio fishing earlier this week. My wife came home while I was gone and she picked up the mail.

When I came home on Wednesday was pleasantly surprised to find my Minnesota permit in the mail. The letter from the issuing Sheriff's Department in Minnesota, Dakota County, was dated May 2nd. So it took them 23 days to issue the permit from the day I submitted my application.

Great. Now I will no longer have the hassle and frustration of having to disarm prior to crossing the Minnesota state line.

Awesome!!!

Q: is there an expiration date on MN training? Do you have to apply within a certain time period for your training to remain valid?

The reason I'm asking is that my current ludicrously complicated scheme involves going to Fargo, ND to the get the ND training and apply for an out of state permit. Due to the proximity, I can also do the MN training on a different day at the same place, but I don't want to venture into MN until I have my ND permit. If my MN training would be good until I received ND permit, it would be good because then I could apply for my MN permit on my first foray into MN.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Awesome!!!

Q: is there an expiration date on MN training? Do you have to apply within a certain time period for your training to remain valid?

The reason I'm asking is that my current ludicrously complicated scheme involves going to Fargo, ND to the get the ND training and apply for an out of state permit. Due to the proximity, I can also do the MN training on a different day at the same place, but I don't want to venture into MN until I have my ND permit. If my MN training would be good until I received ND permit, it would be good because then I could apply for my MN permit on my first foray into MN.

Rhino,

Your MN application must be submitted within one year of the training. One thing you should check is whether your ND training is good for MN also. Your instructor will know if he is registered with the state of MN or not. If he is that will save you having to take a separate class for MN.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino,

Your MN application must be submitted within one year of the training. One thing you should check is whether your ND training is good for MN also. Your instructor will know if he is registered with the state of MN or not. If he is that will save you having to take a separate class for MN.

Thanks, Mark! Very helpful. One year gives plenty of time.

North Dakota law specifies that their training can't be combined with anything else, so it has to be separate. The MN training at the same place is sometimes combined with other states, though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Very true. But there is still plenty room for improvement. Hopefully, please God sometime before I die, the Indiana politicians will quit playing politics and pass constitutional carry.

Color me a quitter, but I would sacrifice the possibility for Constitutional carry in a heartbeat if they eliminated all GFZs where the IN LTCH is not valid (like schools).

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Color me a quitter, but I would sacrifice the possibility for Constitutional carry in a heartbeat if they eliminated all GFZs where the IN LTCH is not valid (like schools).

I would consider it a step forward. I was surprised in the Utah class I took that schools in Utah are not GFZs as in Indiana and most other states. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I remember from the class I took recently that carry is not prohibited in schools there. For example, if you drop your kid off at school and go inside, I don't think you are required to leave it in the car.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would consider it a step forward. I was surprised in the Utah class I took that schools in Utah are not GFZs as in Indiana and most other states. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I remember from the class I took recently that carry is not prohibited in schools there. For example, if you drop your kid off at school and go inside, I don't think you are required to leave it in the car.

In Utah, only private schools have any say whatsoever on carry. Public schools and universities are not only places where you can legally carry, they can't even have a rule in place barring lawful carry. There are a lot of concealed guns on the college campuses and some open carry as well.

Utah has some of the best gun laws in the world.

Top Bottom