• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It only buys me one additional state with the licenses I already have, Washington. But what the heck, the wife is visiting her Mom and I have nothing better to do.

Go shooting, get a permit too. Sounds like fun.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Shooting? This is for the enhanced UT?

There is range time and class time. I am not familiar with "enhanced". Must have missed something when reading the Utah page at Handgunlaw.us. What's the difference?

My understanding is that there is a regular license and, for those between 18 to 21, they issue a provisional license. That's the only applications I could find on the Utah BCI website. Actually it is the same application for both.

Could be that because this instructor offers a combination class for MN, FL, WI, AND UTAH, that the range time is only required for some of the others? I am taking the Utah only class, but we still meet at the same place, a local archery gun club. Have to inquire on this point. Did not see anything that said the Utah only participants didn't need to bring a handgun and ammo.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I must be smoking crack. I could swear they came out with an enhanced that gave you more reciprocity with states that require a shooting test as part of theirs.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I must be smoking crack. I could swear they came out with an enhanced that gave you more reciprocity with states that require a shooting test as part of theirs.

Put down the pipe Cm, just say no to crack.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I grabbed the Utah back when it piggybacked IN to open up OH. Just classroom then.
    Please let us know about this class you're taking like the differences with the curriculum for MN, FL, WI, UT. Classroom vs range requirements, etc...

Link to info?

Kinda sounds like fun just.... because.... :n00b:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Did mine years ago when it was just about the only option out there.
    I enjoyed the class! You're gonna spend some time around some "gun people "- can't beat that!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I grabbed the Utah back when it piggybacked IN to open up OH. Just classroom then.
    Please let us know about this class you're taking like the differences with the curriculum for MN, FL, WI, UT. Classroom vs range requirements, etc...

Will follow up with some additional comments on the differences after Saturday. I did see something on the Handgunlaw.us Utah page that mentioned demonstrating proficiency (see 4th bullet item in list below):
    What Must Accompany the Application?
     A Photocopy of your Driver License
     Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at the Bureau
    of Criminal Identification.
     Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be
    legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not
    legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.
    *Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency.
    There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and
    fingerprints may be obtained at the Bureau of Criminal Identification (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville,
    UT.
     Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by
    BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor
    complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state)
    certified instructors.

Link to info?

Here's the link to the Utah page at Handgunlaw.us: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

Here's the link to the list of Utah BCI certified out of state instructors: https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2018/04/insoutstate04122018.pdf

From that list, I selected one that was close to where I am working / temporarily living in Minnesota:
    Robert Amey........................................ 651-336-8380
    e-mail ................................ bobamey@aol.com

Here's the link to Bob Amey's taining website: MN Permit to Carry Training

They conduct their class and range sessions at the Hudson Rod, Gun & Archery Club in Hudson, Wisconsin, just across the Mississippi River from Minnesota.
    Hudson Rod, Gun & Archery Club website: Hudson Rod, Gun & Archery Club
    That's where I'll be at 8am this coming Saturday.

Kinda sounds like fun just.... because.... :n00b:

I've always enjoyed firearms training classes. Can never learn too much, and often learn some interesting points to share with some of my anti-gun acquaintances! Maybe that's just me. And the range time, well that's just what we do, isn't it?? :ar15:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Shooting? This is for the enhanced UT?

Hey CM, a little clarification after taking the class today.

1. They actually mentioned that there is a widespread misunderstanding that Utah has an enhanced permit. This may have stemmed from the provisional permit v a regular permit. The instructor actually called the "enhanced" permit a "myth" (his words).

2. Range exercise is not required for Utah, you were right on that point. This class was for MN/FL/WI/UT. However, only FL and MN require live fire range exercise. I took Utah only for a reduced rate, but his website didn't explain the difference. My suggestion on the class survey was to add the clarification to his website so that people could either leave their gear at home, or pay the extra money and participate in the range exercise.

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I took a Florida class last year and the range proficiency test was stressful and worth the money. Had to get so many shots in, with mag change, by X seconds at XX yards. If you didn't, you failed and had to take test over. Adds stress that just shooting paper doesn't get you.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    Its a 4 hour, if I remember correctly, BORING lecture that doesn't even have a test. Waste of time and money BUT the extra State/States you can pick up are worth it in long run.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I took a Florida class last year and the range proficiency test was stressful and worth the money. Had to get so many shots in, with mag change, by X seconds at XX yards. If you didn't, you failed and had to take test over. Adds stress that just shooting paper doesn't get you.

I've found this is an area where different instructors can be very different. Some instructors just want to make sure you get a reasonable grouping on the paper with no timing or scoring, the Minnesota instructor I had in March told us that he would decide what is reasonable, but he wasn't demanding. Others score but don't time. Others score and time. In the last two Minnesota classes I've taken (first one 5 years ago), there was no scoring or timing. In the class I took for Utah a couple weekends ago, although there was no shooting exercise for Utah, the shooting exercise for the Minnesota and Florida part of the class was scored, but not timed. Apparently the instructors have some discretion on this.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Just to clarify, IROC completed the NRA Defensive Pistol Course. This is the newer course that is supposed to follow Basic Pistol or Personal Protection in the Home. It is an introductory Defensive Pistol Course and does have a shooting component required to pass. Florida as well as many other states will accept any NRA course with a shooting requirement. NRA Basic Pistol is the defacto standard but would not have been much fun for a guy who shoots USPSA, so I offer Defensive Pistol. Florida also now accepts a certificate from RangeMaster certified instructors.

Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Is there a course you can take that will qualify you to carry in the majority of the states. I saw something at cabelas, that you could take that would get you 26 states. I really wish there was something, say a two day class with range qualifications, that would let you carry in all 50 states.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Is there a course you can take that will qualify you to carry in the majority of the states. I saw something at cabelas, that you could take that would get you 26 states. I really wish there was something, say a two day class with range qualifications, that would let you carry in all 50 states.

An Indiana resident that also has a Florida CWL has reciprocity in 38 states. Picking up Utah adds Washington. Minnesota used to honor Utah license but the lobs got that changed.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I was considering just letting my Florida expire once my Utah comes in. But I dropped that idea. They're easy to renew, but the initial application process is much more involved. With reciprocity between the states constantly changing, it probably makes sense to pay the renewal fee and take the training and keep the ones I have active.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My Utah permit expires in July. Not sure if I will renew. I think it only adds 1 or 2 states now. When I got it, it added Ohio. My Indiana license covers that now.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My Utah permit expires in July. Not sure if I will renew. I think it only adds 1 or 2 states now. When I got it, it added Ohio. My Indiana license covers that now.

$15 and a couple updated passport photos from the local pharmacy. No reason not to renew. Things change. Better to have and not need then need and not have.

Top Bottom