• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    gungrabbingmemes-google-12-31-pm-serpa-holster-quickdraw-techniques-google-search-24504635.png

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    you'll shoot your femoral out kid!

I heard a dept. near me is planning on kicking the serpa out to the curb but it might be bs i dont know but i do know one of their officers put a sim round next to his foot during training. Honestly i could see grandfathering the guys that started with them and making the new guys use something else to avoid having to retrain guys.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The SERPA is a terrible design. I've seen them break. Any holster that can become jammed with mud/dirt/rocks/snow/ice/debris and permanently retain your handgun is a very dangerous thing. I cannot understand the appeal or popularity of this holster. They're extraordinarily dangerous, and any self respecting self defense class prohibits their use.

My department issues the Blackhawk for our Tasers, but I much prefer the Bladetech. I would never, NEVER carry a firearm in a SERPA holster.

The Safariland ALS line is the same price as the Blackhawks, and it's a far superior holster. I recently converted a close friend of mine. He loves his Safariland.

Friends don't let friends carry Blackhawk holsters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The SERPA is a terrible design. I've seen them break. Any holster that can become jammed with mud/dirt/rocks/snow/ice/debris and permanently retain your handgun is a very dangerous thing. I cannot understand the appeal or popularity of this holster. They're extraordinarily dangerous, and any self respecting self defense class prohibits their use.

My department issues the Blackhawk for our Tasers, but I much prefer the Bladetech. I would never, NEVER carry a firearm in a SERPA holster.

The Safariland ALS line is the same price as the Blackhawks, and it's a far superior holster. I recently converted a close friend of mine. He loves his Safariland.

Friends don't let friends carry Blackhawk holsters.

I spent a great deal of time outlining why the Safari does not work for me and it does not. My serpa suits me just fine. In the hundreds of times I have drawn from it never 1 issue. Never. I see draw backs in the Safari as to my needs. But I will not condemn it just because it does not fit my needs.

Now to each their own just like personal fire arm choices. What fits you might not be for me. I have trained with my Serpa and it works.....for me. If I shoot myself within its use that is on me not the Serpa.

Choose your poison.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I shoot myself within its use that is on me not the Serpa.

Choose your poison.
    Yes and no, the design of the Derpa is the failure, your trigger finger should be doing no other work that pressing the trigger, no buttons, boogers, butts, etc. the Sweeney video itself is proof that a trained person can still Serpa Derp. I know that part of the reason you got the ALS was me and others insisting it was sooo much better, and it is, for all but I guess a few firearms. No doubt that it is safer than the Serpa, along with more natural draw.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm with churchmouse on this one. I've use the Serpa for 10 years without issue. The cut down front of the holster helps getting the 5" 1911 out without having to jack up my shoulder. I've trained with it, and it works. That said, NO... I haven't ever had to use it under real combat stress yet. Can you shoot yourself? Sure if you screw up. Don't screw up. Can you kill yourself if you ride a bike without a helmet? Sure... I still did it back when I used to ride.

I did try the Safarilad ALS and will admit that it is also a great system, and probably safer for the less diciplined. However it is bulkier, and causes me to have to come much higher with my draw to clear the holster. That is very painful on my shoulders.

For my newest gun (Glock 17) I decided to try something different and went with Bravo Concealment. This offers no retention lock, but holy crap does it tuck the gun nice and close to the body. For an outside the waste holster, this blows the Serpa and the ALS away. It also allows me to carry with a light on my gun, something the Serpa does not.

I'm not going to trash talk the Serpa. I still think it's a good design, but there are ones I like better now. Since I got my Bravo Concealment holster, I carry my Glock 17 with the TLR1. I hide it better, have more ammo, have a light, and still not tear up my shoulders on the draw. If I was worried about retention, I would stay with the Serpa. I'll probably get a nice leather holster for the pretty stainless 1911 and it will just be a dress gun now. I got the ALS for the Glock with TLR1 to put on my SHTF vest.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom