• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Anybody have any experience checking firearms with Southwest?

I was planning on using my Sig p938 case to transport my Ruger LCP. Their website just says a hard case. I assume that will work. I called in, but the people on the phone just read me what I found on the website.

I cut out a square for the ammo. I’m thinking of cutting out a small strip for loaded mags for quick access once I get off the flight. This may be the trickiest part. Their rules seem to contradict each other. No loose ammo or loaded mags, unless the loaded mags are in a place that won’t move.

We've all seen those hard cases that have built in mag cut outs. I’m concerned that they won’t like that I made my own.

Flying out of Indy to Kansas City and back.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 54325219-0B41-463A-8A12-AE0A7A2C03BA.jpg
      54325219-0B41-463A-8A12-AE0A7A2C03BA.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 14
    • 57F609D9-56B5-46F3-BC16-0060FB892DFB.jpg
      57F609D9-56B5-46F3-BC16-0060FB892DFB.jpg
      92.6 KB · Views: 21

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Do yourself a favor and buy a true hard sided case like a Pelican. Harbor Freight has one that is similar for about $15. I have two plastic reloading boxes (plastic) that I secure with Velcro strips which house my ammo. No loaded magazines for me as this varies by airline. Allegiant only allows one checked handgun per traveler. When I fly Southwest I check two.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Firearms in general, need to be UNLOADED, placed in a HARD SIDED CASE, or loose in a bag that is locked, unloaded and declared of course.
    Ammunition should be in a manufacturers container, or in a magazine or clip, that is in the hard sided case with the firearm, or in a pouch that covers the magazine.

SO your unloaded , declared firearm is ok in its hard sided case, the ammo , not loaded in the gun in stripper clips or magazines are ok.

Have a safe trip.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have flown Southwest and other airlines a lot with firearms.

A hard sided case that can’t have a corner pried up when it’s locked is suitable. Some plastic cases are so flimsy you can Flex the lids enough to create a gap to the inside even when it is locked. So just make sure it’s a sturdy case.

I have flown with loaded magazines several times, but not all airlines allow that. Southwest did allow them, but the exposed rounds had to be covered, So a couple times I have them in magazine carriers, And sometimes I just put them in an empty 38 special off-the-shelf ammo carton, Stuff down some foam so that wouldn’t rattle,and taped the end shut so they wouldn’t fall out. (The agent did not notice that I had semi-automatic ammo in a revolver ammo box. The rules say am I has to use a manufacturer’s carton, and I gave them a manufacturer’s carton. They were happy. This is the nature of bureaucracy.)

However, as you found out with your phone call, not everybody is actually knowledgeable about the rules, and I had one Southwest agent question my magazines that were in a magazine carriers. She had to call a supervisor who okayed it.

I don’t know if having the magazines in a cut out inside the case would pass the muster with every agent you’re gonna run into. Aside from all thhe other rules airlines have, I’m sure they have one in their FinePrint somewhere that says the agent is always right and makes the final call regardless of what is says on website. This is the nature of bureaucracy. And the safest answer for a bureaucrat is “no.” Again, the nature of bureaucracy.

So I recommend putting loaded mags in another sealed box. If they ask about ammo, just point to sealed box. The less they can see the less they have to ask questions about, the less they have to confuse them. This is also the nature of bureaucracy.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have a Remora magazine holster (somewhere). You think that would work?

Or should I just stuff it an ammo box with foam and tape it shut?

Also, how do you retrieve your firearm out of the locked case without raising eyebrows.

Go to the bathroom?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a Remora magazine holster (somewhere). You think that would work?

Or should I just stuff it an ammo box with foam and tape it shut?

Also, how do you retrieve your firearm out of the locked case without raising eyebrows.

Go to the bathroom?

Yes. Collect checked bag from carousel, proceed to restroom, find open stall, retrieve firearm from bag, load and make ready, roll out.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've flown with firearms dozens of times with no issues. Always have the gun locked in a hard sided case. Ammo in a box separate. I've never had mags loaded ahead of time. I just go to the bathroom when I land, load and holster up.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I travel by air I don’t mess with the bathrooms. Once you pickup the rental car you can stop at the convienent gun loading lot provided by most airports. They don’t advertise these handy, almost always empty lots since guns are scary. Gun loading lots are usually labeled “cell phone lot” and will be marked by a sign. Make sure to use the rental car itself as a safe backstop when loading the gun.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    When I travel by air I don’t mess with the bathrooms. Once you pickup the rental car you can stop at the convienent gun loading lot provided by most airports. They don’t advertise these handy, almost always empty lots since guns are scary. Gun loading lots are usually labeled “cell phone lot” and will be marked by a sign. Make sure to use the rental car itself as a safe backstop when loading the gun.

^^^^ Some airports are more restrictive than others. I never "load up" in a bathroom.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The airline rules are all different from each other and from the TSA crap. ALWAYS go to your air carrier's website and print out THEIR rules and carry them in your pocket because the counter people rarely know their own rules and will tell you things that are not actual company policy - or just make stuff up. The air carrier and their insurance company has the final say on what goes on THEIR aircraft - NOT the TSA. The TSA only has authority on what gets through their checkpoint - no further. Believe it or not there are actually airports in this country where you are prohibited from bringing any weapon of any kind whatsoever into the terminal - no way no how. I'm not sure how they expect you to declare it if you can't bring it up to the counter. Indianapolis is one of those airports.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

When I travel for work it's generally to a major city so I usually take a taxi or public transit rather than paying for a rental car and the cost to park it for several days.

^^^^ Some airports are more restrictive than others. I never "load up" in a bathroom.

Usually I'm getting into a taxi as soon as I'm off the plane. Sometimes there's downtime before I'm able to check in to the hotel, which means wandering around in a different city, maybe grabbing some lunch. I prefer to be armed when possible so often the airport restroom is the best option.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The airline rules are all different from each other and from the TSA crap. ALWAYS go to your air carrier's website and print out THEIR rules and carry them in your pocket because the counter people rarely know their own rules and will tell you things that are not actual company policy - or just make stuff up. The air carrier and their insurance company has the final say on what goes on THEIR aircraft - NOT the TSA. The TSA only has authority on what gets through their checkpoint - no further. Believe it or not there are actually airports in this country where you are prohibited from bringing any weapon of any kind whatsoever into the terminal - no way no how. I'm not sure how they expect you to declare it if you can't bring it up to the counter. Indianapolis is one of those airports.
    When did Indianapolis make it to where you cant check a firearm? This is new news to me

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Well I’m taking an Uber or a Lyft from the airport. Don’t really wanna scare those hipsters by loading up in the car.

This country is so Anti-2A.

So I’m not allowed to bring a gun into the Indy Airport?? How do I declare? I thought I read that you could carry all the way up to TSA?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Well I’m taking an Uber or a Lyft from the airport. Don’t really wanna scare those hipsters by loading up in the car.

So I’m not allowed to bring a gun into the Indy Airport?? How do I declare? I thought I read that you could carry all the way up to TSA?

This country is extremely 2A friendly compared to a lot. You can take a gun into the airport. You just can’t take one into the secure area of the airport. Just tell the people at the counter when you check in that you need to declare a firearm. They’ll most likely have you fill something out and put it in your luggage or in the case itself. That’s it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This country is extremely 2A friendly compared to a lot. You can take a gun into the airport. You just can’t take one into the secure area of the airport. Just tell the people at the counter when you check in that you need to declare a firearm. They’ll most likely have you fill something out and put it in your luggage or in the case itself. That’s it.
    Yeah exactly but the guy upthread said that was a no go. I havent flown in a little while but I use to fly a lot and flew a lot with firearms and never had an issue at indy airport

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

It is a good idea to print out the airline guidelines for checking a firearm, but you're wrong about not being able to bring a firearm inside the Indy airport.

You can absolutely check firearms there and it's legal to carry inside the non-secure areas of the airport if you're dropping off or picking someone up. You simply can't go through security.

I personally wouldn't open carry in the airport, but it's completely legal to do so in areas prior to the check point.

You can check the gun.

Arrive with firearm and ammo already cased and locked. You don't want to be coon-fingering or scrambling to pack a gun in the airport or parking lot.

Arrive an extra 15-20 minutes early in case they ask to inspect the bag. At some airports I've been asked to carry it over to a Sergeant's station so they could look at the hard case. Other times the airline will check the bag but the TSA will want to inspect it. Leave your suitcase unlocked in case they do decide to inspect your bag and you're not around. You don't want to be running to the gate and get a page to come back to the TSA checkpoint with the key so they can open your suitcase.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have checked handguns in Indy lots of times.

When I rarely travel by air I just take my snubby revolver. No racking slides in bathrooms, easy on easy off. Be very careful loading and unloading.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Those Sig boxes are not that strong. I had a new Sig show up with the bottom of the case cracked out and missing a chunk. Not something I'd trust to secure it out of my sight.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Do not rack a slide in the bathroom of a busy airport. Right or wrong you could be in for a long delay to your post flight travel plans while explaining yourself to the airport authority.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom