Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

There's nothing wrong with a little shooting, as long as the right people get shot.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

All I see is her pulling it out of her purse, aiming, bang-bang...bang, stepping into some cover and then taking control of the bad guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlfrye View Post
    I have seen this video several times. I applaud her for taking quick, decisive action. But I also have some questions. I understand she is leo and I am not, so tactics/training may be different. As a civilian, why would I rack the slide before firing, and why would I walk up and stand on the perp?

How bout some insight to help this old man, because I dont see the point of doing either one.
    Watching it at 1/4 speed, it doesn't look like she racks it. She briefly holds it in both hands, then shoots him. However, if you were to carry a gun loose in a purse, empty chamber would be the safer way to carry it. Ideally, you aren't carrying a gun loose in a purse, though.

What she did right:
    Speed, surprise, sufficient violence, moved toward cover as he fell. Scanned the area for further threats at some point.

She did move back and take cover until her cover left.

What she did wrong:
    "Jabbing" at him with the gun one handed. She delays breaking her shot because she lunges at him, poking the gun ahead, as though it were a knife. That's an instinctive reaction, not a trained one. Get two hands on the gun unless you're going to shoot from retention. I'd also suggest she shouldn't have taken her eyes off of him and stopped shooting when he fell. Yes, she's moving, but he's still got the gun, it's still pointed in her (and bystanders) direction, and she's briefly unaware of what he's doing. Another shot was justified, although in real time it's harder to make that call.

What's situational:
    From his body language and how he uses the weapon, he was expecting compliance and using the gun as a prop for intimidation (vs using it as a weapon) and never got out of the OODA loop in time to break a shot. In her particular instance, given the number of innocents around her, moving laterally as she broke the shot, or prior to, may not have been a good option. However note there is a mother and child directly behind the person she was shooting. A big step to her left would have cleared her backdrop and gotten her off the "X" had the gunman fired.

Closing with him. Again, she originally delayed doing so until her cover (the car) left, which was good. I would generally recommend not closing with someone who's down until the cavalry arrives and you have someone to cover him while someone else moves up to cuff him, etc. Particularly if you don't have cuffs, there's no reason to close with him, hold him down, etc.

Securing the suspect's weapon. Ideally, you'd hang back with cover, order him away from the gun, and if he goes for it again, shoot him again. Repeat as needed. I'd only consider moving up to secure it if there was a crowd where it might disappear, etc.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

What she did wrong:
    "Jabbing" at him with the gun one handed. She delays breaking her shot because she lunges at him, poking the gun ahead, as though it were a knife. That's an instinctive reaction, not a trained one. Get two hands on the gun unless you're going to shoot from retention. I'd also suggest she shouldn't have taken her eyes off of him and stopped shooting when he fell. Yes, she's moving, but he's still got the gun, it's still pointed in her (and bystanders) direction, and she's briefly unaware of what he's doing. Another shot was justified, although in real time it's harder to make that call.
    Yeah, she got scope locked and did a lot of sloppy instinct crap. However, in all honesty, what's the over/under on her training? 8 hours?
    I refer to every child as "Chief"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Yeah, she got scope locked and did a lot of sloppy instinct crap. However, in all honesty, what's the over/under on her training? 8 hours?
    In Brazil?

Given what we've seen on video of Brazillian off duty cops in defensive shootings, I'd saw more.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    In Brazil?

Given what we've seen on video of Brazillian off duty cops in defensive shootings, I'd saw more.
    Don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Maybe she got a full 40?

Still for as little training as I SUSPECT she received, she won the fight, and that's what counts.
    I refer to every child as "Chief"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Maybe.

But she can also do this:
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

She didnít mess around any.

(no warning shots)...
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Maybe.

But she can also do this:

Not to mention drive a race car, play beach volleyball, and was, at least at one time, a super model.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

My wife criticized her grip....this, after one 4 hour class. I've got a live one on my hands.
    "Research just slows the funny down." - Dr.Midnight

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast