Mecum Collector Car Auction, Fairgrounds...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Last year, it was a very welcoming experience walking into the event.

This year, it was three wide metal detectors, body wanding and a backed up line of people stripping their pockets and bags of personal items.

I wasn’t carrying during my visit this weekend (fortunately, as it would have been a LONG walk back to the truck.)

I wonder if this is the new norm at every fairgrounds event? Or something Mecum has initiated?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've attended that venue in the past and none of those security measures were in place. It's probably a sign of the times, and not a good one.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    It’s unfortunate. This area along 38th street is high in criminal activity. On the way in, we saw a 7-8 person altercation going down in one of the gas station lots a block from the fairgrounds.

There were guys riding bicycles up and down the sidewalk along 38th street hassling people 5 feet on the other side of the fence looking at collector cars parked along the outer perimeter.

I would just think this makes the spectator parking area a pretty ripe target for smash and grab when it becomes known that people have to disarm before leaving the car.

It also makes every person walking from the infield to the front 38th street entrance a pretty ripe target for anyone wanting to pay the $5 parking charge to wander inside the lot for a little bit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Awesome.

thumb-down-smiley.png

Top Bottom