• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I am very new to Indiana and will be applying for my carry license probably this week, or at least start the process. Never had one where I used to live.

What can I expect at each step?

Do's and Don't recommendations?

4 years versus lifetime?

Any helpful info appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Unless you know you're not going to be living in Indiana for less than 4 years, get the lifetime--especially if you plan on staying here.

Follow the steps at the ISP web page. They walk you right through the process. It's easy. My son did it last year and the only quasi-hassle was making an appointment to get your finger prints electronically done. But even that wasn't a show stopper.

https://www.in.gov/isp/2829.htm

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When I got my lifetime I didn't need to set up an appointment with FWPD. I just arrived with whatever I needed, told the folks what I was there for, and soon a fingerprint tech came out to get 'er done.

The hoops we jump through are minimal and as a "shall issue" state, very easy.

Welcome to Indiana.

Oh yeah, and INGO too.

Doug

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Thanks for the feedback.

Filled application for lifetime, scheduled prints for tomorrow, then I will go and visit the police. I live in Indy so I am correct in being able to just go to the closest police station?

I have a clean record - nothing in my past; so hopefully it will be fairly quick turn around.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I don't live in Marion county so someone with more knowledge will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you will need to go to the City County building downtown.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Thanks. I scheduled the prints to be done in Brownsburg, I can visit family when I'm over there. I then got to thinking about the local agency (PD). Thanks again.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I don't live in Marion county so someone with more knowledge will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you will need to go to the City County building downtown.

You are correct. The young lady that took my fingerprints said the same thing. Wednesday I will complete the process.

Thanks -

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    So, everything is done, how long on average does it take Indianapolis to check me out?

I have no record and live a boring life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I just got notification that the locals submitted everything to the state. I started 5/21, let's see how long now.

As far as "lifetime"? They accepted my app for lifetime and took my money for lifetime so I would think, I will get a lifetime.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I just got notification that the locals submitted everything to the state. I started 5/21, let's see how long now.

As far as "lifetime"? They accepted my app for lifetime and took my money for lifetime so I would think, I will get a lifetime.

One or two of the fellows on here like to tug at a lower limb every now and then. :):

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Well, surprise surprise!

Filled out application Monday 5/21
    Completed fingerprints Tuesday 5/22
    Visited Locals on Wed 5/23
    Locals turned it over to State 5/24
    State Approved 5/25 (per website) - and posts the license number and date issued!

I would think I'd get it in the mail fairly soon.

I'm impressed!

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    Well, surprise surprise!

Filled out application Monday 5/21
    Completed fingerprints Tuesday 5/22
    Visited Locals on Wed 5/23
    Locals turned it over to State 5/24
    State Approved 5/25 (per website) - and posts the license number and date issued!

I would think I'd get it in the mail fairly soon.

I'm impressed!

That's way faster than I got mine a 3 years ago. Welcome to Indiana, enjoy your stay. What state are you coming from?

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Any thoughts on person age: lets say- eligible for social security just getting the 4 year license instead of lifetime and hope the legislature passes constitutional carry and eliminates the fees?

Cost for 4 year license is about $52 near as I can calculate. Lifetime is about $140 again as near as I calculate. Actuarial tables say I can renew 4 year license 2 times and break-even? (total 12 years)

Plus, not sure but if I move say to Florida temporary or permanent Indiana LTCH lifetime no longer valid?

Sorry, did not want start a new thread since I had related questions to the guy from Illinois.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I think each person has to decide what is best for them. I recently retired to Indiana and, at least for now, do not see me leaving any time soon - if ever. I chose the Lifetime for 3 reasons: 1) I had the money and being retired now, not sure if I will have it in 4 years (who knows), 2) I don't plan on moving and 3) Laws change -

BTW - I originally applied 5/21 - I will have it today (6/1). It took me 10 days, which includes Memorial Day!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom