• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Still haven't come to the decision of whether I am comfortable carrying yet, but after reading everything I could get my hands on by Massad Ayoob and watching the videos from Armed Citizens' Defense League, I am leaning towards "probably". But until I honestly say, "definitely" , I will hold off making that informed decision. Having said that...

I am going to the indoor range once a week or so, and have become very comfortable with my CZ 75 Compact PCR. Between that, reading voraciously, I find myself being immersed into this evil gun subculture. I did lots of reading about holsters, and decided that the Clinger Comfort Cling was a good starter holster for me, especially given the price of $20. Anyway, it arrived yesterday, and I wore it to carry my PCR (not loaded) while I mowed the lawn. I was wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt, and am a pretty sweaty guy, but not once in the 45 minutes or so it took to finish up the yard did I feel as if it was slipping around at all. Of course I was aware of it being there, but, having nothing to compare it to, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. I am very confident that a pair of belted shorts or pants would secure everything very well. Back in the house, I practiced some draws. Again, with nothing to compare it to, my opinion is that the holster stayed put, while the gun came right out. Oh, but for this exercise at least, re-holstering was definitely a 2-handed proposition.

So, I am going to carry while I run to the hardware and grocery stores today. Unloaded, to be sure, but I am curious to see how it (and I!) will feel while being out and about. I do want to check how it shows with a t-shirt that actually fits me. Sometimes I like to kid myself that I can still wear my old XLs, when I really need 2X. With the "slightly" tight shirt, looking in the mirror, I could see that *something* was on my hip. I am also going to see how it looks in the pocket of cargo shorts partially covered by a untucked shirt.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll give you a little advice. Start with a good belt. A real gun belt. This will make any holster you choose work so much better. A good number of us INGOer's like the Daltech Force Super BioBelt. It's made just north of you and for ~$50, I don't think you can get a better value. Here's a link to some reviews.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew-daltech-force-super-biobelt-gun-belt.html

Second point. Don't skimp on holsters. Usually the cheap one end up costing you more down the line as the wear out sooner, break or just become unsafe.

Here are my requirement for a holster. It must be securely fastened to my belt. That way if I fall down, or get thrown down in a fight, the gun will be there when I need it. I also want a holster that has a formed opening. Trying to put the gun back in collapsed holster is not safe. You tend to point the pistol at your body trying to get it in.

I also want to be able to get a full grip on the pistol before it leaves the holster. Some models have a high back and prevent your thumb from easily getting between your body and the grip.

I recently bought a Bravo Concealment OWB for a little over $40. I really like it. It is an all kydex holster. They also make a IWB model. I also use a Galco KingTuc IWB. It's a hybrid leather/kydex holster. It works good for me.

I understand your new to all of this. I admire what you are doing in taking responsibility for the safety of you and your family, even with your wifes feelings.
    We all started carrying sometime. I wish I had a forum like this when I started. I most likely wouldn't have made the mistakes I did like a $7 holster on a $9 belt. I still cringe at that thought (and how many times my gun fell out.)

You'll get there. Just be safe above all else.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Shirt wise, I usually buy two of whatever shirts I really like. An XL and a 2XL. (also because of china buffet) This way I can wear the tighter one tucked in when I'm carrying OWB and the larger one while carrying IWB and untucked. Some of the larger shirts can be tucked in and used with the "Tuckable" IWB Holsters.

Sometimes I do end up wearing a snuggish shirt with a IWB and printing terribly. That's still OK. It's not illegal to print and really, people just don't pay that much attention to other people. Can't tell you all the conversations I've had with folks that never notice my Open Carry.

Make it easy on yourself and just start carrying. Get a good, dependable, stiff holster. Get a good, dependable, stiff belt. Maybe you want other carry options, Ankle, Belly Band. Great, but make sure it's a proven holster that's been used by real people out in the real world first.

Note- Some leather holsters can feel better after being broken in. Like those hybrids with a leather base and a kydex shell. They are still fine holsters. I have concealed one of the largest handguns out there that nobody ever saw with a hybrid. Those soft little flimsy holsters out there that come in like 3 universal sizes, I'd stay away from them.

Ayoob talks about dropping guns himself with crappy holster follies. Good info. But he also scolds citizens for open carrying guns so, grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree with Bigtanker, but I prefer the wilderness instructor belts. For some reason, I always end up between belt sizes, one hole is just a little loose and the next is a little tight. With the wilderness, I can adjust to that perfect size.

Again, to back up what has been said, if you require two hands to reholster, you have the wrong holster. Don't cheap out. If you ever shoot a bullet through your leg, I guarantee you will think, "I should have spent a little more money for a better holster.".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Clinger is a good starter holster. *For the money* they are a decent holster. I have one for my Shield for when I carry it around the house. I'm not investing in a more comfy/better waistband holster as I never carry it as a primary out and about.

That said, there are certainly better options on the market. Feel free to ask about a particular model, but remember that holsters are kind of like boots in that what works for me may not work for you. Body type, intended use, how much you value different parameters (concealment, comfort, etc) will all influence the answer. I've had good luck with Bladetech for plastic holsters and Red Nichols for leather. Comptac is the only hybrid holster I've tried and didn't toss.

Avoid "universal" holsters and floppy nylon sausage sacks.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Congratulations on making it this far oze !

A good holster and belt as mentioned by INGO Crew is the ticket the CZ75 is a heavy little guy and needs some support.
    Kydex holsters and belts can be found on eBay and Amazon cheaply and of good quality you can also scan for good used holsters.
    I normally wear inside the waistband during the summer and outside in the winter. I prefer the reinforced “rigger” belt that can be found cheap. Don’t let printing worry you like others have stated nobody looks that close.

The CZ75 is a time proven weapon that is “safe” it’s a very solid DA/SA action don’t feel uneasy about it.
    I don’t even think about being armed it’s just something I do before I leave the house like putting your wallet in your pocket. I hope you can find time and money to complete some training courses I know that’s easier said than done.

Again congratulations we need more responsible armed individuals in this world!

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks to all for the excellent advice, guys! What a great site this is!:ingo: I will definitely end up with a proper IWB holster and belt, once I have made the decision to start carrying. For what it's worth, I carried the (unloaded) CZ PCR in the Comfort Cling in the 4-5:00 position out and about for about 4 hours yesterday: walking the hounds, driving around and shopping, and I was pleasantly surprised that 1) There was almost movement of the rig, and 2) that I (*almost*) never did the newbie pat-down. I am so conscious and aware of any gun that I am around, that it was not easy to avoid scratching that itch, but on the other hand, I can guarantee that I did not perform any unconscious checks. :): Anywho, I'm starting the on-line research for my everyday carry holster, which might be a while. As Mrs. oze said, I don't buy a gallon of milk without doing the research on best brands and price.

Also FWIW, I have completed the on-line portion of the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course. I also took a live class at the local range, taught by a FW Police Officer; that was fun! Of course, I am still going through the literature on the ramifications of the use of lethal force in self-defence. I have to say that right now, the two main things that keeps my pistol locked up at home rather than on my hip when I leave are the potential legal and civil repercussions, and, maybe even worse, having those thoughts in the back (or front) of my mind if/when the time ever came when its use would be warranted. The potential repercussions of that would haunt me.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're looking into IWB, I would suggest stealth gear or Cross breed. I've used both and prefer stealth gear.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If you're looking into IWB, I would suggest stealth gear or Cross breed. I've used both and prefer stealth gear.

I have a few Kolsters. (back when he was making them)
    Is Alien Gear still in the running with their metal plate inserted backing? Or have they been banned by the masses? :dunno:

FrankC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Glad to see you're taking the time to think things through and get them straight in your mind. Mindset is one of the most important things in gun ownership.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    DEFINITELY buy a good belt. Spend more than 2 dollars. Look at the website "30dollargunbelt". I just bought one and it is unbelievably good for the money. I did not think it was possible to craft a belt that heavy duty for $30 but they have.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Loaded up the PCR with 14 + 1 Hornady Critical Defense and carried it in the half-cocked position to Kroger yesterday. Nothing to report except for the strange thought that kept entering my head that the gun was going to magically fire itself and I'd shoot my thigh off, kids.:nuts: Glad to say that nothing popped but the cherry.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I have a few Kolsters. (back when he was making them)
    Is Alien Gear still in the running with their metal plate inserted backing? Or have they been banned by the masses? :dunno:

Screw the masses. I wouldn't part with my Alien Gear Cloak side OWB holster. It does what I want it to do and I feel comfortable, and secure wearing it, That's all I need to know.

Top Bottom