• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So I have a really good dog, but he looks like Scooby doo and he is just as scared too. Our home is in one of the more affluent neighborhoods, but it has been host to a number of automotive break ins and just some weird bs as of late. Last night (5/26/18) around 0030, the storms had just passed and I am walking the hound when we both see movement from my elderly neighbors side bushes. Doggo got his big boy bark out while moving for cover behind my legs, and there I was in just shorts and flip flops. The movement was strange, but pretty human like. I got back to the door without turning my back, retrieved the m&p 40 with a tlr-2 unhooked the dog and went back out to see if it had moved. It had moved to behind a decorative rock near some taller shrubs on the edge of our property line. It was still there bouncing in and out of hiding moving like a tweaker, my dad was one so I've got quite a bit of experience noticing signs. I call out quietly but directly "who are you?" no response but there was movement, so being that I know my neighbor is a soft target and with construction on a bridge at our streets entrance we would be looking at 20 minutes plus for a call out. I moved forward and lit up the suspected prowler, after saying I am armed and asking them to identify themselves. Turned out to be a helium balloon about 3ft tall shaped as an "0" that was floating about 6ft above the ground to the top. It must have been blown in during the storms from a grad party as the string was tied to a laundry clip and it had just enough buoyancy to keep it on the ground, while being light enough to move with the lightest of breezes. Glock glockit.... I did maintain trigger discipline and did not present the weapon until a few verbal warnings were given.

I mean I know I made mistakes, and here is what I've learned after sitting back and breaking down the situation.
    -First lesson being that I don't have a powerful enough flashlight for walking the dog at night. I will be adding a stinger ds led hl that will sit on a charger near the leash.
    -Second, we have some extremely dark spaces and direct lines to a highway. Lights lights lights. Maybe some shrubs to break the visual line to the highway.
    -Third, I should have called the police when I went back to my porch with my pistol. I didn't but I should have. I've made a call before that lead to an arrest of a man taking pictures in windows at night I shouldn't have treated this differently.
    -Lastly my dog will not attack lol, he may defend me if something got up close and personal, but he isn't going out and getting him some.

Building on the third, I knew how long it took under good road conditions for the local pd to respond. In my mind I saw my softness being the only thing between whatever this thing was and my wife and baby girl. I keep pistols secured in a couple places in my house for quick access and I went for one with a light. I should have called the cops and let them "deflate" the situation, but something inside drove me outside. I did all of this from my porch, it wasn't like I was hunting it. Still I feel like I didn't handle the situation the right way.

Positives I've Taken Away
    -Trigger finger discipline. Keeping the finger off the trigger probably saved that balloons life and a long legal battle for me.
    -The TLR 2 HL. What an amazing piece of kit. Night sights were utterly useless and pointless, I could see the sights, but couldn't identify the target and the background. the light and laser on the other hand, wow.
    -I put my limited training to work. I went through the motions even when my emotions were high. Before I identified the floating bandit it was a real situation to me and I found I leaned on the force on force training I've taken, and the force training I've watched on sportsmans channel. I definitely want to get into a low light training environment and work on it. And I need to get into a legal class regarding home defense.

All in all I think I did the wrong thing. I should have barricaded the door and defended my home and family from within. I should have called the police. But I feel like there are some really positive things to take away from this crazy experience. This story is slightly embarrassing, but I feel like the lessons may help others and the conversation may provide some enlightenment for me.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I want see the spoof thread from that poor scared balloon........ And the police report if you had killed it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I have a really good dog, but he looks like Scooby doo and he is just as scared too. Our home is in one of the more affluent neighborhoods, but it has been host to a number of automotive break ins and just some weird bs as of late. Last night (5/26/18) around 0030, the storms had just passed and I am walking the hound when we both see movement from my elderly neighbors side bushes. Doggo got his big boy bark out while moving for cover behind my legs, and there I was in just shorts and flip flops. The movement was strange, but pretty human like. I got back to the door without turning my back, retrieved the m&p 40 with a tlr-2 unhooked the dog and went back out to see if it had moved. It had moved to behind a decorative rock near some taller shrubs on the edge of our property line. It was still there bouncing in and out of hiding moving like a tweaker, my dad was one so I've got quite a bit of experience noticing signs. I call out quietly but directly "who are you?" no response but there was movement, so being that I know my neighbor is a soft target and with construction on a bridge at our streets entrance we would be looking at 20 minutes plus for a call out. I moved forward and lit up the suspected prowler, after saying I am armed and asking them to identify themselves. Turned out to be a helium balloon about 3ft tall shaped as an "0" that was floating about 6ft above the ground to the top. It must have been blown in during the storms from a grad party as the string was tied to a laundry clip and it had just enough buoyancy to keep it on the ground, while being light enough to move with the lightest of breezes. Glock glockit.... I did maintain trigger discipline and did not present the weapon until a few verbal warnings were given.

I mean I know I made mistakes, and here is what I've learned after sitting back and breaking down the situation.
    -First lesson being that I don't have a powerful enough flashlight for walking the dog at night. I will be adding a stinger ds led hl that will sit on a charger near the leash.
    -Second, we have some extremely dark spaces and direct lines to a highway. Lights lights lights. Maybe some shrubs to break the visual line to the highway.
    -Third, I should have called the police when I went back to my porch with my pistol. I didn't but I should have. I've made a call before that lead to an arrest of a man taking pictures in windows at night I shouldn't have treated this differently.
    -Lastly my dog will not attack lol, he may defend me if something got up close and personal, but he isn't going out and getting him some.

Building on the third, I knew how long it took under good road conditions for the local pd to respond. In my mind I saw my softness being the only thing between whatever this thing was and my wife and baby girl. I keep pistols secured in a couple places in my house for quick access and I went for one with a light. I should have called the cops and let them "deflate" the situation, but something inside drove me outside. I did all of this from my porch, it wasn't like I was hunting it. Still I feel like I didn't handle the situation the right way.

Positives I've Taken Away
    -Trigger finger discipline. Keeping the finger off the trigger probably saved that balloons life and a long legal battle for me.
    -The TLR 2 HL. What an amazing piece of kit. Night sights were utterly useless and pointless, I could see the sights, but couldn't identify the target and the background. the light and laser on the other hand, wow.
    -I put my limited training to work. I went through the motions even when my emotions were high. Before I identified the floating bandit it was a real situation to me and I found I leaned on the force on force training I've taken, and the force training I've watched on sportsmans channel. I definitely want to get into a low light training environment and work on it. And I need to get into a legal class regarding home defense.

All in all I think I did the wrong thing. I should have barricaded the door and defended my home and family from within. I should have called the police. But I feel like there are some really positive things to take away from this crazy experience. This story is slightly embarrassing, but I feel like the lessons may help others and the conversation may provide some enlightenment for me.

I would have done the same as you with maybe a few differences in tactics.
    We watch out for our older neighbors. They call me when something goes bump in the night.
    I am closer than LEO most times. No knock on LEO.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    What you described sounds like a start of a movie like IT !

With a 20 Minute response time you are on your own balloon’s or not!

BTW
    I use a Mossburg 500 or AR both with lights if I leave the home for “bumps in the night” handguns are secondary weapons for me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    What you described sounds like a start of a movie like IT !

With a 20 Minute response time you are on your own balloon’s or not!

BTW
    I use a Mossburg 500 or AR both with lights if I leave the home for “bumps in the night” handguns are secondary weapons for me.

I have been mulling around getting some sort of a rapid access safe for the ar. I have an 800lumen inforce light on it, but that does little good locked away in a safe. I also have a dressed out 1187 that was also pointless as it sits locked away with a box of 00 near it, what a tactical waste on my part. The M&P is in a quick access locker near the entryway. I decided to put a light on it because it was just sitting around and so was the light at the time. I Mr. Magoo'd my way into one of the few things that went right in this debacle.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I would have done the same as you with maybe a few differences in tactics.
    We watch out for our older neighbors. They call me when something goes bump in the night.
    I am closer than LEO most times. No knock on LEO.

My tactics? I had no tactics lol, I was like a little leaguer trying to play in the majors. I won't be caught like that again. MTAC is about to get some more of my money and time. I also hope my post doesn't come off as a knock to leo's. There is only so much coverage we taxpayers will purchase. I'm also a bit of a dimwit and seem to blumber my way into situations that are over my head... The trailer I lived in outside of Demopolis, Al.... I will make a second post of having more dumb luck and blind confidence than wit covering that mess someday.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think I heard this story before.....don't remember it exactly. The guy was caught with a "balloon" and was attempting to explain the situation to his wife....

CzxKgmtWIAQEvbc.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The offending balloon in this case was making an o face.

ULUG8N7.jpg

After the incident was properly deescalated I apprehended the balloon and put it in the old green bin lock up for the night. When I went to show the wife and explain my macho defense of our house from said balloon it sprang for freedom and took off into the air before I could grab it. I would have had her take a picture of it with me, a la deer trophy picture, but it's hasty escape prevented that from happening.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ahandheld light would have come in handy so you didn’t “light up” the target while also muzzling someone/thing that didn’t need deaded? You could still have your weapon drawn and low ready, once PID was made, you could transition to weapon mounted light source?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The offending balloon in this case was making an o face.

ULUG8N7.jpg

After the incident was properly deescalated I apprehended the balloon and put it in the old green bin lock up for the night. When I went to show the wife and explain my macho defense of our house from said balloon it sprang for freedom and took off into the air before I could grab it. I would have had her take a picture of it with me, a la deer trophy picture, but it's hasty escape prevented that from happening.

This is getting better and better. "Perp", who looks suspiciously like a hemorrhoid cushion, hiding in and out of the shrubbery. Perp is confined and then miraculously re-inflates and heads to parts unknown.

I think we need a consulting physicist with a specialty in gases. And perhaps a proctologist.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    About 25 years ago in my single days was visiting my girlfriend. She was looking out the window after dark, and in very anxious tone says OMG Mark somebody is sitting in their car staring at the house. I took a look and saw the same thing. We called the cops. Got a knock on the door after the cops checked it out. They told my girlfriend they got the culprit while looking at me a bit sideways. They chuckled a little and said, yeah, it was Kermit the frog. Apparently someone left a giant stuffed Kermit the Frog on their front seat.

Just slightly embarrassing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is getting better and better. "Perp", who looks suspiciously like a hemorrhoid cushion, hiding in and out of the shrubbery. Perp is confined and then miraculously re-inflates and heads to parts unknown.

I think we need a consulting physicist with a specialty in gases. And perhaps a proctologist.

I have to admit that having read about his recent medical issue, a hemorrhoid cushion was my first thought when I saw that too. :): (Sorry Ggreen, having gone through the same issue myself years ago, I'm laughing with you, not at you!)

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Unless I missed it, one takeaway should be to not need to return home to retrieve your firearm. (If this was listed in the lessons learned, I apologize.)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    About 25 years ago in my single days was visiting my girlfriend. She was looking out the window after dark, and in very anxious tone says OMG Mark somebody is sitting in their car staring at the house. I took a look and saw the same thing. We called the cops. Got a knock on the door after the cops checked it out. They told my girlfriend they got the culprit while looking at me a bit sideways. They chuckled a little and said, yeah, it was Kermit the frog. Apparently someone left a giant stuffed Kermit the Frog on their front seat.

Just slightly embarrassing.

I was an onfield mechanic/attendant at an airport in rural nowhere middle Alabama. The road to the airport dead ended at a cul de sac, the city provided a trailer at the end of the cul de sac but not in the fenced in secure part of the airport. My future wife (married me even after visiting that nightmare trailer :D) was visiting and walking the dog (same dog) and noticed a black car parked in the middle of the road. She came in, I locked the door (it's a trailer and a determined infant could easily kick them in). I stealthly got over to the terminal building where I kept my shotgun (lesson learned). I called the sheriff's department and was told it would be 2 hours, 2 hours before a deputy would be able to make it all the way out to the airport. Poor county and poorly staffed. About 5 minutes after the call another car pulls up and both cars procede to park in my driveway. It was a long driveway 150yards or so. They blocked the only exit I had. So my girlfriend is flipping out, cops are supposedly another 110 minutes away, so I decided to just confront them and end the situation. I had my streamlight out of my toolbox and a stainless 870 with birdshot and I went to say hello. I started down the drive and got about halfway when they take off, and fast. 20 minutes later a city cop showed up(kind of an airport junky he was there on the weekends learning to fly), told me he approached two vehicles parked on the railroad tracks about a 1/2 mile down the road. It was two well known figures in the local government who decided their spouses weren't enough. Must not have gotten the memo that the trailer was occupied. I promised not to divulge details, but I'm a long way from demopolis so whatevs.

This was the event that got me into looking at firearms for self defense as much as for hunting. The shotgun I kept at the terminal was for running hogs off the runway in the golfcart, scattering flocks of birds, and removal of snakes.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Unless I missed it, one takeaway should be to not need to return home to retrieve your firearm. (If this was listed in the lessons learned, I apologize.)

I just don't have an easy way to carry my pistol when I'm walking the dog in the front yard before bed. It will take some thought for sure. I'm generally only covered to the bare minimums of legality, grumpy, and half asleep when the dog feels the need to take a midnight dump. This case I was about 2 steps off the porch and 5 or so backward shuffles to get back into the door. Still had this been a legit situation that could have been too many.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have to admit that having read about his recent medical issue, a hemorrhoid cushion was my first thought when I saw that too. :): (Sorry Ggreen, having gone through the same issue myself years ago, I'm laughing with you, not at you!)

No worries, both of these problems are embarrassing, but potentially helpful. I am a bigger guy, but a 41" cushion is still a bit much lol

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I just don't have an easy way to carry my pistol when I'm walking the dog in the front yard before bed. It will take some thought for sure. I'm generally only covered to the bare minimums of legality, grumpy, and half asleep when the dog feels the need to take a midnight dump. This case I was about 2 steps off the porch and 5 or so backward shuffles to get back into the door. Still had this been a legit situation that could have been too many.

Sticky holster? I hate them and won’t use them for anything but situations like that. These circumstances are what they were made for imo

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom