• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Has anyone been to the Indpls Children's Museum recently? What type of security do they have as far as metal detectors and bag checks?

That area of Indy has a pretty high crime rate.

Thanks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Security Theater? Pretty much zero, last I was there. I don't recall them checking purses or bags. Certainly no wands. Been a couple of years, though.

That said, as posted above, it is a school by Indiana Code. Not that this deters crime, but it does deter the law-abiding.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Legally, it is a no go zone, due to the school on site. But there is no security. No metal detectors, wands or even bag checks. You decide what that means for you.

As for the neighborhood, park in the garage across the street and you'll be fine. It's connected to the museum via sky bridge.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Its a gun free zone killing field. Dont carry at your own risk.
    Sorry to be so cold and blunt but its these exact politically created pointless gun free zones that get innocent people killed when psychos and terrorist go on murder sprees.

+1 Much like colleges. Legally with LTCH you can carry, but per school rules your held accountable, and possibly asked to leave is someone sees and reports. But no legal weight.

CCW is CCW.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    +1 Much like colleges. Legally with LTCH you can carry, but per school rules your held accountable, and possibly asked to leave is someone sees and reports. But no legal weight.

CCW is CCW.
    Actually at the childrens museum its classified as a school (has one inside of some kind) so its "legally" a no go zone

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

CCW is CCW.

Go carry your gun in a K-12 school and see if there's "no legal weight." I would suggest against it. But I will agree, CC is CC.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    If anyone would like to follow up the research Trigger Time is correct-

The Children's Museum Preschool:

https://www.childrensmuseum.org/about/preschool

Indiana Stutes:

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-47-9-2Possession of firearms on school property or a school bus; defense to a prosecution; possession of firearms in a motor vehicle parked in a school parking lot
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 2. (a) A person may not be charged with an offense under this subsection if the person may be charged with an offense described in subsection (c). A person who knowingly or intentionally possesses a firearm:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) in or on school property; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) on a school bus;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]commits a Level 6 felony.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (b) It is a defense to a prosecution under subsection (a) that:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) the person is permitted to legally possess the firearm; and[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) the firearm is:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) kept in the glove compartment of the person's locked motor vehicle; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](C) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motor vehicle.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (c) A person who is permitted to legally possess a firearm and who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly leaves the firearm in plain view in a motor vehicle that is parked in a school parking lot commits a Class A misdemeanor.

Indiana Code 2018 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-31.5-2-285"School property"
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](A) a school corporation;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](ii) A special education preschool program.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp](2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

(Bolded and Underlined for effect)

Indiana Code 2018 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

***I'm not an attorney and this is not legal advice... blah... blah... blah - don't sue me!

[/FONT]

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Its a gun free zone killing field. Dont carry at your own risk.
    Sorry to be so cold and blunt but its these exact politically created pointless gun free zones that get innocent people killed when psychos and terrorist go on murder sprees.

Used to carry there all the time when the kids were young years ago. I was never a fan of going after I learned of the daycare. Glad they don't care to go any more :):

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Just a little curious as to when they got rid of security. I used to work with a PRN EMT-B that worked there full-time as one of the supervisors for their security team.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Just a little curious as to when they got rid of security. I used to work with a PRN EMT-B that worked there full-time as one of the supervisors for their security team.
    I was there yesterday and saw security guys. They had radios and windbreakers that said “SECURITY”. I didn’t see any guns on them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was there yesterday and saw security guys. They had radios and windbreakers that said “SECURITY”. I didn’t see any guns on them.

No guns? In that case they misspelled "babysitters".

I was thinking of going there soon with the kids. I didn’t realize this was a “school”. Such a joke.

I disarm and go. Still carry non-firearms options. Its not bad, honestly. You can park in the garage across the street and walk over the street on the hamster tube thingie (drawing a blank on what those are called) So its not the best neighborhood, but you dont have to actually go out in it. And they seem to watch the garage pretty closely.

I wouldnt not go just because you cant carry your firearm. Its a cool place.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don’t disarm, and I go every couple of months. My 3 year old LOVES the place. If I should ever need my gun while there, I’m fairly sure that the prosecutor would bo bill me, but even so...self defense IS an affirmative defense even if you’re illegal.

Top Bottom