• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Westville
    Hey all,

So I'm 21 years old. I purchased my lifetime LTC about a year ago, bought my first handgun shortly after my 21st birthday and have been carrying ever since. My long-term girlfriend (soon-to-be fiance) was kind of standoffish to the idea of gun ownership when we first met. Her mom grew up in New York and she was just never exposed to it. She knew my stance on guns, and we agree on most other political issues. After several polite debates, growing more comfortable in the relationship and some gentle coaxing from me, she decided that she wanted me to teach her how to shoot. She fell in love with it instantly and has now decided that she wants to get her LTC, too. (Victory screech)

Here's the issue. The program she wants to pursue for graduate school is very specialized and is only offered by a handful of schools, none of which have a program in Indiana. The program she is really considering is in New Hampshire, so it look like we will be moving to New Hampshire for at least a couple of years while she attends graduate school. After that, I have no idea where we'll end up.

I had some questions about how this would affect my LTC, and what we should do about getting my girlfriend her LTC.

1. I'm almost certain that if I want to carry while I'm living in New Hampshire, I'll have to get a New Hampshire carry permit. Since my residential Indiana permit is lifelong, what happens to it if I no longer live in the state of Indiana?
    2. Would it be wiser for my girlfriend to get the 4-year permit instead of the lifetime permit if we don't plan on living in Indiana for the rest of our lives?
    3. Would I have to get a non-residential permit to carry when I'm carrying back home? Or would I be covered by my residential permit/reciprocity?

I'm just really confused on how all this would work. It would be so much simpler if national reciprocity passed, but until then, I'm stuck trying to figure out this headache. Any advice you can offer up would be appreciated.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wow, where to begin? First, congrats on bringing your GF/FF/FW into our side of the firearms world. It's amazing what taking someone shooting will do.

NH is a Constitutional Carry State. When living in NH you become a NH resident after you get a driver's license/register to vote/etc. Your Indiana LTCH, I don't know. It seems like it will be valid again once you become an Indiana resident again (provided you haven't become a felon or another prohibited possessor, alcohol or drug abuser, etc.)

Tell your GF to get a Lifetime LTCH, trust me.

Indiana recognizes all State Licenses/permits.

More INGOers will chime in, good luck to you!

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    If you become NH residents, your IN LTCH will be inactivated (you must notify ISP of your change of address). If/when you move back to IN, you again contact ISP to have your IN LTCH reactivated (in the case of the lifetime LTCH). If you maintain your IN residence your, IN LTCH would remain valid.
    You can get any one, or more, non resident permits while living in NH if you change your residence to NH, so you can carry in other states, including carrying in IN. Be aware that some states do not honor non resident licenses, too. A good resource is handgunlaw.us. I maintained my IN residence while in college out of state for 4 years & a couple more years living out of state for work, btw. I did get a state ID card in one of those states, so I could buy stuff while living there, too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. I'm almost certain that if I want to carry while I'm living in New Hampshire, I'll have to get a New Hampshire carry permit. Since my residential Indiana permit is lifelong, what happens to it if I no longer live in the state of Indiana?

Ok, *rubs temples* why do you think you'll need to get a "carry permit" in a Constitutional Carry state? For reciprocity when you come back to IN to visit relatives? Um, ok, sure, get it if it for that.

Nothing happens to your Indiana Larry. You update the address, move to Wookieville, New Hamster, and then when you move back you update your address.

2. Would it be wiser for my girlfriend to get the 4-year permit instead of the lifetime permit if we don't plan on living in Indiana for the rest of our lives?

Don't know, her money. You know your life plans better than us.

3. Would I have to get a non-residential permit to carry when I'm carrying back home? Or would I be covered by my residential permit/reciprocity?

Like a non-resident Florida license?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not to thread-jack but what croy said or at least pre-nup. Maybe Uncle Kirk can help you with that instead of getting a migraine. :ingo:

this PLUS have $10,000 cash and give it to someone you trust for safe keeping. you will need that when you hire atty for divorce.

if u don't have these pre-req DO NOT GET MARRIED.
    live together all you want

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't get married. Your life will be over.

Not just Croy but more than a few seem to (as I did......2wice) have chosen poorly. It is all who you chose to be with and how you treat them.
    Choose wisely. Marry if you wish. Live together if that works for you. Took me 3 times but #3 stuck. Married Aug of 81 and still hanging tough.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Oh sheesh, you guys seem to think that if it happened to you it must be normal. Divorce is not a foregone conclusion. The reality is that ~3/4 of first marriages really do work out. (Source)

And you can make those chances of success even higher by marrying someone that you agree with on major issues. Agree on money (how to budget, how to save, how to spend, etc.). Agree on children (how many, how to raise them, what if you can't have children, etc.). Agree on religion. Have difficult, meaningful conversations before you get married. Premarital counseling is a thing because it's effective. (I suggest it as pre-engagement, but nobody listens to me.) If you agree on all those things, there isn't a lot to fight about.

And if you expect to divorce, then yes, don't get married in the first place. Self-fulfilling prophecy is also a thing.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Oh sheesh, you guys seem to think that if it happened to you it must be normal. Divorce is not a foregone conclusion. The reality is that ~3/4 of first marriages really do work out. (Source)

And you can make those chances of success even higher by marrying someone that you agree with on major issues. Agree on money (how to budget, how to save, how to spend, etc.). Agree on children (how many, how to raise them, what if you can't have children, etc.). Agree on religion. Have difficult, meaningful conversations before you get married. Premarital counseling is a thing because it's effective. (I suggest it as pre-engagement, but nobody listens to me.) If you agree on all those things, there isn't a lot to fight about.

And if you expect to divorce, then yes, don't get married in the first place. Self-fulfilling prophecy is also a thing.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CampingJosh again.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Since your stay in N.H. could be considered semi-temporary, why wouldn't you just let things ride, and see where you end up in a couple years? I doubt the ISP is cross referencing their database against any other database to know your personal physical location next month, or next year. Since you don't have need of a permit in N.H., whose to know the difference as per your status? If you come back to IN, your good. If you end up somewhere else, you sort it out then. There may be more to it that I don't understand? Aside from the $$ difference for lifetime permit in Indiana, the same would hold true for your girfriend.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you become NH residents, your IN LTCH will be inactivated (you must notify ISP of your change of address). If/when you move back to IN, you again contact ISP to have your IN LTCH reactivated (in the case of the lifetime LTCH). If you maintain your IN residence your, IN LTCH would remain valid.

The LTCH does not become inactivated if/when someone moves out of state. Yes you do have to notify of change of address.

Nothing happens to your Indiana Larry. You update the address, move to Wookieville, New Hamster, and then when you move back you update your address.

This.

Since your stay in N.H. could be considered semi-temporary, why wouldn't you just let things ride, and see where you end up in a couple years? I doubt the ISP is cross referencing their database against any other database to know your personal physical location next month, or next year. Since you don't have need of a permit in N.H., whose to know the difference as per your status? If you come back to IN, your good. If you end up somewhere else, you sort it out then. There may be more to it that I don't understand? Aside from the $$ difference for lifetime permit in Indiana, the same would hold true for your girfriend.

Because most firearm carriers are lawful folks and it is a requirement to notify of change of address and a crime to fail to do so?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good things come to those who wait (and invest in the time it takes to nurture them). We met in ‘96, married in ‘03 and these two will be 3 in December. It simply doesn’t get any happier than this:

2B924AF4-8417-4C6C-B144-CC8C8BEFA4A2.jpg

E3919A44-41F7-40D5-AF81-76DC91F09320.jpeg

7E701EBE-55E7-4C95-94CB-7627414D4154.jpeg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Wow really guys? The man is 21 and has a woman who wants to shoot. Put a ring on it, buy her a nice gun and tell everyone who tells you that you are dumb for finding love young how great of a shot she is.

also, good luck on the move.

Top Bottom