• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    All the time on TV & radio there are commercials and public service announcements (PSAs), sponsored by the AD Council and/or a government agency, that gives advise about properly cooking food, buckling your child in a car seat and many other subjects. With the gun mishandling events that we see on the news (most recently the dancing FBI agent and the IKEA customer), the Gun Grabbers are always first to shout "CONFISCATION".

Why don't Government Agencies, 2nd Amendment political groups, gun manufactures and other groups that should advocate gun safety put out PSAs that educate and remind about safe gun handling?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    The political groups and manufacturers would....but those that control the media will not let them because it does not fit their agenda. Gov will not do cause it may p***off or offend those with "different" views. The haters will stop them with their hissy fit protests.

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    Better solution: make gun safety training an above the line tax deduction.
    I'll agree with your gun training idea for the inexperienced. However, many experienced gun owners do forget about the consequences of not being in 100% control of the weapon. How often have you heard stories of an experienced gun owner having an unintended discharge while cleaning the gun. Maybe if some are reminded to treat a deadly weapon as such, the incidents of mishandling a weapon may go down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    All the time on TV & radio there are commercials and public service announcements (PSAs), sponsored by the AD Council and/or a government agency, that gives advise about properly cooking food, buckling your child in a car seat and many other subjects. With the gun mishandling events that we see on the news (most recently the dancing FBI agent and the IKEA customer), the Gun Grabbers are always first to shout "CONFISCATION".

Why don't Government Agencies, 2nd Amendment political groups, gun manufactures and other groups that should advocate gun safety put out PSAs that educate and remind about safe gun handling?

They just ran a Gun PSA on the Sportman's Channel (I like Gun Stories, a lot). Just featured a cop that left his weapon out and a 3 year old shot himself with it.

PSAs are being run, you might be unaware of them, but they exist.

My idea is still super keen.:D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Unless things have changed, every year our kids spend time in school learning about fire safety and about the dangers about drugs. I'd be receptive to the idea of the the schools be required to give the same amount of time in gun safety.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    zomg, they just ran an ad for an XD and now I am dumber for having to watch a commercial for the McRib of guns.

Thanks a lot, Sportman's Channel. Now I have to go read a book.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Advocating responsible gun ownership means acknowledging gun ownership as a legitimate practice and a right.

The media will never allow this.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Why not call/write all the local news stations.
    Explain to them, that you are concerned with public safety I would like just a few minutes of air time in the morning to do a quick demo on proper fire arm handling, the 4 rules, what to do if you find an unattended gun on a couch etc etc

Try to get early morning air time
    Hell, if you really want to get thier attention. Tell them your 14 year old nephew/son wants to do the presentation to help other kids. Try to play up the "won't somebody please think of the kids!" schtick.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Why not call/write all the local news stations.
    Explain to them, that you are concerned with public safety I would like just a few minutes of air time in the morning to do a quick demo on proper fire arm handling, the 4 rules, what to do if you find an unattended gun on a couch etc etc

Try to get early morning air time
    Hell, if you really want to get thier attention. Tell them your 14 year old nephew/son wants to do the presentation to help other kids. Try to play up the "won't somebody please think of the kids!" schtick.

Alas, should you get that far (not likely, having a 14yo in the same room as a gun), by the time they're done editing it, it'll be just another guns are evil ad. You really have to go at is sideways and get NRA, GOA, or a mfr to set it up to make the station scared to chop it up. That'd be hard to get just by virtue of their name being associated with it and the moms would probably go off the deep end about pushing our death-dealing agenda onto the little innocent minds. think of the children!

Remember it isn't about reason or logic or education with those types.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The anti-gunners preaching "gun safety" aren't really interested in gun safety.
    It's just their way to ban more guns, but try to sound like they're not banning guns.

Otherwise, this would be a good idea.

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    Unless things have changed, every year our kids spend time in school learning about fire safety and about the dangers about drugs. I'd be receptive to the idea of the the schools be required to give the same amount of time in gun safety.

PSAs could be made with contemporary cartoon characters like Dora or Hello Kitty, telling kids not to touch guns that they found, but to tell an adult. Or there should be PSAs to educate parents on how to talk to their kids about gun safety. Regardless of what the Gun Grabbers want, guns are here to stay as long as there's a 2nd Amendment and we gun owners stand ourl ground civilly.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

That's part of how I got the Eddie Eagle program in my local head start. They were asking what they could classify it under, I asked what do you classify poison, medicine, electric outlet, etc, safety under? They kinda blinked and got a deer in a headlight look. It's not that most were against the idea just never thought of it like that.

Can a refusal then be litigated as infringement of First Amendment rights?

Generally speaking broadcasters are allowed to refuse any thing they like. There are very few restrictions, such as if they allow a political candidate ad time, they must allow other candidates the same for the same price. They are a private company, can you force McDs to allow you to promote the virtues of Burger king in their stores? Or talk about how unhealthy fast food is?

PSAs could be made with contemporary cartoon characters like Dora or Hello Kitty, telling kids not to touch guns that they found, but to tell an adult. Or there should be PSAs to educate parents on how to talk to their kids about gun safety. Regardless of what the Gun Grabbers want, guns are here to stay as long as there's a 2nd Amendment and we gun owners stand ourl ground civilly.

Well not Dora or Hello Kitty...
    [video=youtube;Ho36vonT3Rw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho36vonT3Rw[/video]

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    That's part of how I got the Eddie Eagle program in my local head start. They were asking what they could classify it under, I asked what do you classify poison, medicine, electric outlet, etc, safety under? They kinda blinked and got a deer in a headlight look. It's not that most were against the idea just never thought of it like that.

Generally speaking broadcasters are allowed to refuse any thing they like. There are very few restrictions, such as if they allow a political candidate ad time, they must allow other candidates the same for the same price. They are a private company, can you force McDs to allow you to promote the virtues of Burger king in their stores? Or talk about how unhealthy fast food is?

Well not Dora or Hello Kitty...
    [video=youtube;Ho36vonT3Rw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho36vonT3Rw[/video]

You're on target.

Top Bottom