Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Michigan Schools

Can I park my car at a Michigan High School for a week and leave my handgun inside the locked console of my locked car?

I have read a couple of websites and am just as confused as when I started, everything seems to contradict itself. Why is this crap so freaking complicated? I am reasonably smart and can read yet am still confused as to whether I am permitted by the state to exercise my 2A rights.
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Michigan carry is weird on schools. If you have a carry license, you are only allowed to open carry on school grounds. You can conceal carry if you remain in your vehicle.

technically, you can lock your gun in your car and go about your business, but parking for a week, especially in the summer time is going to get you towed or broken into.

Do you mind if I ask what school, or area? Iím from Michigan and might be able to point you in a better direction.

User Info Menu

Cheboygan High School

Long term parking arrangements are set up by the organizer for a week long bicycle tour.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Obviously Iím no lawyer, but unloaded, in a case, and locked in your center console, you are within the firearm transporting laws for Michigan and shouldnít have a problem.

Having a lot of cars parked will probably deter any break ins, but who knows.

User Info Menu

I took a look a while back at Michigan's laws on handgunlaw.us Crap they are confusing, especially with schools and universities.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Why would you do that?

1: it's super easy to break into a car.
    2: it's even easier to get into a console.
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljesus View Post
    Why would you do that?

1: it's super easy to break into a car.
    2: it's even easier to get into a console.
    Week long cycling trip with 250 other riders. Park the car in Cheboygan and ride 300 miles around beautiful Michigan countryside. Will be camping in tents at various schools along the lakeshore.

Clearly spending the night on high school property inside a tent with a handgun is illegal.

When driving 400 miles away from home I prefer to take a gun along and am inquiring if I can legally leave it in the car parked on school property.

User Info Menu

That sounds like an amazing trip. I hope you have a blast.

It also sounds incredibly irresponsible.
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

User Info Menu

That sounds like an amazing trip. I hope you have a blast.

User Info Menu

Yes, I find it incredibly irresponsible of government entities to deny me my 2A rights and force me to leave my gun locked in my car rather than permitting me to carry it where I am in full control of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast