• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Can I park my car at a Michigan High School for a week and leave my handgun inside the locked console of my locked car?

I have read a couple of websites and am just as confused as when I started, everything seems to contradict itself. Why is this crap so freaking complicated? I am reasonably smart and can read yet am still confused as to whether I am permitted by the state to exercise my 2A rights.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Michigan carry is weird on schools. If you have a carry license, you are only allowed to open carry on school grounds. You can conceal carry if you remain in your vehicle.

technically, you can lock your gun in your car and go about your business, but parking for a week, especially in the summer time is going to get you towed or broken into.

Do you mind if I ask what school, or area? I’m from Michigan and might be able to point you in a better direction.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Obviously I’m no lawyer, but unloaded, in a case, and locked in your center console, you are within the firearm transporting laws for Michigan and shouldn’t have a problem.

Having a lot of cars parked will probably deter any break ins, but who knows.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I took a look a while back at Michigan's laws on handgunlaw.us Crap they are confusing, especially with schools and universities.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Why would you do that?

1: it's super easy to break into a car.
    2: it's even easier to get into a console.

Week long cycling trip with 250 other riders. Park the car in Cheboygan and ride 300 miles around beautiful Michigan countryside. Will be camping in tents at various schools along the lakeshore.

Clearly spending the night on high school property inside a tent with a handgun is illegal.

When driving 400 miles away from home I prefer to take a gun along and am inquiring if I can legally leave it in the car parked on school property.

Top Bottom