• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So I plan to go to Bristol Renaissance fair in Wisconsin. They say they are a "special event" which means no Conceal Carry. But the law states that a special event can not be longer then 3 weeks duration. And they are longer then that july 7th through sept 3rd. But they are only open sat and sun. So does it not count as three week duration because of the weekend only aspect. Or is it the other way july 7- sept 3 is the duration? Legal help would be appreciated. I needless to say would not be advertising that I was carrying but I try to be legal when I can.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So I plan to go to Bristol Renaissance fair in Wisconsin. They say they are a "special event" which means no Conceal Carry. But the law states that a special event can not be longer then 3 weeks duration. And they are longer then that july 7th through sept 3rd. But they are only open sat and sun. So does it not count as three week duration because of the weekend only aspect. Or is it the other way july 7- sept 3 is the duration? Legal help would be appreciated. I needless to say would not be advertising that I was carrying but I try to be legal when I can.
    Need somebody who can speak on Cheese-head law.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Not a lawyer. But it seems to me the question hinges on what goes on at the venue when the faire is not open. If the faire has exclusive use of the venue and nothing else happens when it is closed then I think you have a point. But if other events go on during the week then it seems to me then it's only the days they are open that are 'special events.'

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So here is what I found: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/943/II/13

Under line (h) it says: " “Special event" means an event that is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that are locked when the event is closed or requires an admission."

Is the area closed to the public when not in use? Also, do they charge admission? I would think that by charging admission they are by default not a special event. Of course, that doesn't mean other laws may or may not apply that affect your legal carry ability.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So here is what I found: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/943/II/13

Under line (h) it says: " “Special event" means an event that is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that are locked when the event is closed or requires an admission."

Is the area closed to the public when not in use? Also, do they charge admission? I would think that by charging admission they are by default not a special event. Of course, that doesn't mean other laws may or may not apply that affect your legal carry ability.

Regards,

Doug

Not giving legal advice, but what you posted says that admission and/or designated entrances are REQUIRED for it to be a special event.

...and how do we know that the paperwork they filed with whoever doesn't designate this as a separate "special event" every weekend?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not giving legal advice, but what you posted says that admission and/or designated entrances are REQUIRED for it to be a special event.

...and how do we know that the paperwork they filed with whoever doesn't designate this as a separate "special event" every weekend?

I think this is a Mea Culpa. I do believe I twisted things around in my head a bit on the admission part.

However, if this thing is blocked off during the week, which I presume it is as it is huge, see map:
    http://renfair.com/bristol/the-faire/map-of-the-faire/

Wouldn't it make sense that it is by default an ongoing, albeit closed to the public, is not a special event due to the duration? What I am saying is that while they (the fair) and they (the local govt) may want to call it a "special event" by Wisconsin State Statute it just ain't so?

Hypothetically asking, of course.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Even if I'm legally right that doesn't mean I'd want to spend the legal fees proving it so.

Last edited:

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So for anyone that cares. They do not search you but will search your bags for food and such. The fair was cool but its a money pit LOL. Everything inside cost. But cool none the less

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I most certainly am NOT a lawyer, so the following is just free advice, and thus worth every penny you paid for it...

I found the following on http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf:

Focusing on "special events" as discussed above:
    3. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains at a special event if the organizers of the special event have notified the actor not to enter or remain at the special event while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the special event grounds or building used as a parking facility.

coupled with:

c. For the purposes of sub.(1m) (c) 3., the organizers of the special event have notified an individual not to enter or remain at the special event while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the organizers have posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the special event and any individual attending the special event can be reasonably expected to see the sign.(emphasis mine)

Welp, I was also up there this last Saturday afternoon, and did NOT see any prominently placed signs. I'm not claiming to be observant, as I have mastered overlooking things while looking them over, but I did look and did not find.

I will also just reiterate a common phrase seen on INGO: concealed means concealed...

It was both good and bad this trip, as I think the weather had scared off a huge number of folks...which meant food was much quicker and easier to obtain, it was easier to get in & out of shops, etc., BUT, there was significantly less eye candy than last year's trip. Sigh.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not going near Wisconsin law other than to say I wouldn't count on what any of us believe about whether it is actually a "special event" or not to determine whether carry is legal. Normally, the place where that would be hashed out is after an arrest and now you are challenging whether the law applies in a motion to dismiss. i don't know that it is wise to bet a gun-related conviction on what we assume is the situation without knowing it with certainty.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would doubt anyone could give you an answer until the exact issue was actually litigated under Wisconsin law.

Top Bottom