Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In a matter of seconds, the two armed citizens became self-appointed protectors
    :n00b:
    Some choice of words.

Unsure who was who, officers handcuffed all of the men and put them on the ground as the shooter bled out into the grass and died.
    Yes.
    That is what happens. The officers need to figure out what's going on.
    The "perp" bled out, because he decided to kill people.

But police also noted that armed citizens can complicate volatile situations. The first of 57 uniformed police officers arrived just a minute after the initial 911 calls and found a complex scene with multiple armed people and no clear sense of what had happened or who was responsible.
    Ah. The old "police won't know what's going on".
    1) And yet, the police didn't go crazy and just start shooting. They evaluated the situation.
    2) Within a minute? Well, sit there under fire for a minute, then come back to me and describe it as "just a minute".

“We don’t want people to be vigilantes,” Bo Mathews, a spokesman for the Oklahoma City Police Department, said in a recent interview. “That’s why we have police officers.”
    Vigilantes? Maybe become familiar with the word. A "vigilante" would be if they pursued a "guilty party" to administer "justice".
    Not someone stopping someone from killing people.

...the confrontation could have ended differently
    Well, the "heroes" also could have been shot by the "perp". It's the risk you take. Some of us can't picture sitting there while people are being slaughtered.

It was the first Whittle and Nazario knew of each other, and both made the snap decision that they were friends, not foes.
    Oh really. Doesn't the media say that would automatically result in everyone killing everyone?

People ask, "what can be done?"
    And here it is, and all they can say is, it may have went differently.
    Yes, it could have.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Our "neutral" media at work... :n00b:

The story makes me want to throw up the way it's slanted, but even while trying to portray it in a negative light, it's clear these two gentlemen were heroes who saved lives.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I believe most gun owners would know the risks in entering such a situation. Some would decide to go in, others may decide their skill level isn't up to it. To the extent the article points out those risks in describing the situation it is useful. However, the level of snark and negative spin in that article is disheartening, especially since the outcome was about as good as one could realistically hope for.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    A writer(s) gets all upset when they want to be taken as a serious "journalist" when told they are peddling "fake news." Yet that is exactly what this is to some, fake news. They have their opinions, others might have another. Stop trying to dress up 3/4ths of a newspaper as "news" when most of the news or lifestyle stories are op-eds in reality. Too many of the want to wear the journalist hat but the reality is they are really just low tier commentators. I didn't take the time to read the whole story, but even if there is an equal balance of opinions, such an article shouldn't ever be considered "news." I've always felt that a news story was about facts, no opinions from the story provider or through third parties (people interviewed). The mere fact this link has the word "news" in it is exactly why so many people are turning away from mainstream "news" media. The word "news" in the URL should say "opinion" or "oped."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I won't click on that trash website, but I am guessing it is about this incident from May.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oklahoma-city-shooting-louies-grill-bar-armed-citizen-stops-gunman/

There are many articles out there that don't belittle the guys that stopped the bad guy. Looks like the police even called the two heroes.

As for police arriving in under a minute. The good guys had time to get guns out of their trunks and engage before the police arrived. The bad guy was already leaving the scene.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    But police also noted that armed citizens can complicate volatile situations. So do would-be mass-murderers who haven't been stopped.

The first of 57 uniformed police officers arrived just a minute after the initial 911 calls and found a complex scene with multiple armed people and no clear sense of what had happened or who was responsible. Isn't that the case at a lot of active crime scenes? Seconds count, how many people aren't dead?

Both men did what they believed was right, but that meant they had killed a man they did not know. I have no other words but, are you ******* ******* me??!! The would-be mass-murderer WAS KILLING PEOPLE!! They didn't KNOW the murderer and that somehow makes it wrong??!!

The NRA has brandished the “good guy with a gun” argument after several recent mass shootings. Wayne LaPierre, the group’s chief executive, invoked the phrase after the 2012 massacre of 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school. Brandished? Invoked? ****!

I know this sounds cynical, but I can't help but think the WaPo inside the beltway-types are upset that they weren't able to push their narrative (guns are bad, people shouldn't have guns, all people with guns are bad). You got a guy who isn't named Mohamed or Akmed, hasn't pledged allegiance to ISIS. His name was as generic as they come and had social media posts about being under demonic attack (could spin an anti-religion angle). Here's the cynical part: what's a dozen or so dead Okies to the smart DC people when they have an anti-gun agenda to push? These knuckle-dragging peasants (who were probably Trump voters) stopped what could've been a week's worth of news cycle. There could've been an appearance by the piglet and everything. Rant over.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Give us a better link then...

Clarence_Williams_III_Mod_Squad_1971.JPG

Top Bottom