• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    This is GREAT news! I am going to send the link to my spouse who works for a school.

In all honesty, even if they never have one teacher armed in those schools nobody will know... now it isn't such a soft target.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This may seem like a minor semantics issue, but I think we'd be better served if we stopped using the phrase "arm teachers" and instead use phrases such as "allow teachers to arm themselves" or "remove prohibitions against teachers who choose to be armed."

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This may seem like a minor semantics issue, but I think we'd be better served if we stopped using the phrase "arm teachers" and instead use phrases such as "allow teachers to arm themselves" or "remove prohibitions against teachers who choose to be armed."

Good thinking. Saying "arm teachers" gets turned into "Teachers don't want to be armed they just want to teach." You don't have to go far to find a teacher that has no experience or knowledge of firearms that will chime in all hysterical like and be another "poster child" for the anti-gunners. The members here understand the idea of "arming teachers" means those that are capable and want to be armed but anti's and the un-informed must have everything spelled out for them. Jim.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The training has to be the right type of training and not and NRA class as was done with the National Guard. Armed staff at school should have to qualify each semester to at least LE standards.

The sooner all schools do this the sooner active shooters stop setting new records.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I've already started doing that. I think I may have mentioned something along those lines on INGO, but if I did you probably couldn't see it. Or this.

Now.......lets all hope that there is some serious training involved. Serious training. No AD's. No ND's. Responsibility all around.

I agree with the hope, but not making it mandatory. For some of the same reasons I don't agree with mandatory training to carry. Get someone who doesn't like it in charge and they can make the training dang near impossible. And if people don't want to learn, they won't.

The training has to be the right type of training and not and NRA class as was done with the National Guard. Armed staff at school should have to qualify each semester to at least LE standards.

I don't know for sure, but how much training do LEOs get at the academy? Something like 2 days I think? And how often do they have to qualify? Take that same teacher (or anybody) out of the classroom and put them in a park/store/mall/etc why would they need to qualify for one place but not the other?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    One thing to bear in mind about this particular case: Lee County is in the mountains in extreme western Virginia. The people I know from that area started shooting about the same time they started walking. I have seen their children shoot in rifle matches using a booster-seat at the bench. The parents teach 4H shooting classes. The entire family hunts and fishes and I doubt they ever have commercially processed meat in their house. The culture of the area is slightly more pro-gun than say Marion Co, IN. Or any county, IN.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing to bear in mind about this particular case: Lee County is in the mountains in extreme western Virginia. The people I know from that area started shooting about the same time they started walking. I have seen their children shoot in rifle matches using a booster-seat at the bench. The parents teach 4H shooting classes. The entire family hunts and fishes and I doubt they ever have commercially processed meat in their house. The culture of the area is slightly more pro-gun than say Marion Co, IN. Or any county, IN.

Ah, it's probably impossible to be more pro-gun than Vermillion Co in Indiana. I think the babies emerge from the womb with a Savage Rascal in one chubby little hand and a box of CCI .22LR in the other.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom