• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    So I work third shift right now and I've been frequenting a restaurant once a week on the way home that's in a not so great neighborhood. I open carry because I'm rebuilding my collection after selling my firearms while I was off work for back surgery and my gun is not the best for concealed carry(an urban gray p09).
    Well I was there with a coworker and the place wasn't very busy. There were only 2 servers working and a female cook. Well a group of 8 individuals walked in being loud, obnoxious, and very rude to the servers. Our server came up to us and asked if one of us was security because she was afraid to be there by themselves(I felt bad, but I told her if she felt uneasy she should call the police). Well then one of the thugs went walking in the kitchen yelling. Working security for 8 years I knew that once certain barriers of societal norms get broken the offender usually becomes emboldened and things can quickly escalate. I instinctively said "Hey bro can you get back from there." He came over and got in my face. I didn't back down, but he saw that I was carrying and went over to his buddy and got a gun off him(tucked it in his waist and was threatening to shoot). My friend was scared and I knew there was no good ending to the situation even if I drew first. I kept my calm and ignored him while keeping him in my side view and my hand free to shoot. I paid at the counter and we walked out while he was yelling racist hate speach and threatening me. Well in all the commotion I was focused on him and the gun and I left my keys on the table... Well the servers came outside with us scared and they then told me that one of the thugs grabbed my keys off the table. Trying to do everything to avoid a shootout I ended up calling the police. They were there fairly quickly and several officer's showed up. As soon as the police showed up the thugs threw the keys to the ground. The individuals weren't arrested, but I am glad that the scenario didn't escalate to where I had to use my firearm and I am thankful for the quick response of IMPD.
    I did learn several lessons that night, be more aware of my surroundings and avoid places that things like this are more likely to occur, be mindful of who I'm with(my friend does not carry and it was unfair for me to potentially put him in harm's way), I need to buy a conceal carry, and also to remove the retension strap on my open carry holster.
    I will be doing research on defensive pistol classes and I will be more vigilant on range time.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Good for you on looking into classes. I won't comment on what should have been done or what I would've done different because I wasn't there. I'm too lazy to link it up. But if you go to libertv.com James Yeager has his fighting pistol DVD up for free. Its not enough but its a start.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Good for you on looking into classes. I won't comment on what should have been done or what I would've done different because I wasn't there. I'm too lazy to link it up. But if you go to libertv.com James Yeager has his fighting pistol DVD up for free. Its not enough but its a start.

I feel like it was in a gray area to shoot because he tucked the pistol(probably stolen (it was a teal sccy) in his saggy pants. Not to mention the fact that he probably wasn't the only one in his group with a gun. I figured none of their lives were worth me potentially doing any time nor worth putting anyone else in that place in danger.Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Did you tell the IMPD guys that you saw at least one of them carrying a gun? Sounds like a softball illegal possession charge.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I did, but it was my word against theirs situation. My coworker had to leave to get home so his wife could go to work and it was in an area where nobody sees anything(post rd). The servers wouldn't talk to the police even though they were afraid(they have to live there). He was carrying on about how he hated crackers and that a white cop shot his aunt when he was ranting and making threats. I was sure to tell them that he said a white cop killed his aunt so they were aware going in.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK glad your safe, I have walked out of downtown Mc Donald's after dark before, hungry but figuring I would rather stay hungry than get a burger and fries with a "somebody in here doesn't fit in with the folks around him" scenario playing out. My wife, grandson and I were in a Post Road Mc Donald's once the 1/12 year old kid at the time enjoying his happy meal with the homeless, mentaly ill, thug, and scare the bejessus out of me patrons one afternoon in broad daylight.
    You ever try and eat a Big Mac left handed, your right hand close to your .40? It aint easy brother.
    Again, glad your safe, it could have been on the morning news, "salty cracker shot overnight on the east side".........

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Scary times boys and girls, scary times. You came home, something went right here. That could've gone real bad real quick.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I had a close call a few weeks ago, broad daylight at a family restaurant. Drunk guy stumbled into me and my wife and did not like me deflecting him back onto the sidewalk. He followed me out onto the parking lot. Brings into focus real fast how much I don't know.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    OK glad your safe, I have walked out of downtown Mc Donald's after dark before, hungry but figuring I would rather stay hungry than get a burger and fries with a "somebody in here doesn't fit in with the folks around him" scenario playing out. My wife, grandson and I were in a Post Road Mc Donald's once the 1/12 year old kid at the time enjoying his happy meal with the homeless, mentaly ill, thug, and scare the bejessus out of me patrons one afternoon in broad daylight.
    You ever try and eat a Big Mac left handed, your right hand close to your .40? It aint easy brother.
    Again, glad your safe, it could have been on the morning news, "salty cracker shot overnight on the east side".........

I'm glad everything worked out for you as well. I couldn't imagine having my daughter with me in a situation like that.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Scary times boys and girls, scary times. You came home, something went right here. That could've gone real bad real quick.

You've got that right. Earlier in the week I stopped at the circle k on mt comfort on my way home and the attendant told me that he was robbed at gun point earlier in the night and so was the Speedway.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I had a close call a few weeks ago, broad daylight at a family restaurant. Drunk guy stumbled into me and my wife and did not like me deflecting him back onto the sidewalk. He followed me out onto the parking lot. Brings into focus real fast how much I don't know.

It really is an eye opener and has brought to my attention an urgency for training.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And they say reverse racism is not a real thing.
    I have experienced this at different level a lot in my travels.
    You did what I would have done I guess. If you are the lone clear thinker in a room full of idiots and people are at risk I would have called LEO a bit quicker. It seems they were spoiling for a confrontation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I work third shift right now and I've been frequenting a restaurant once a week on the way home that's in a not so great neighborhood. I open carry because I'm rebuilding my collection after selling my firearms while I was off work for back surgery and my gun is not the best for concealed carry(an urban gray p09).
    Well I was there with a coworker and the place wasn't very busy. There were only 2 servers working and a female cook. Well a group of 8 individuals walked in being loud, obnoxious, and very rude to the servers. Our server came up to us and asked if one of us was security because she was afraid to be there by themselves(I felt bad, but I told her if she felt uneasy she should call the police). Well then one of the thugs went walking in the kitchen yelling. Working security for 8 years I knew that once certain barriers of societal norms get broken the offender usually becomes emboldened and things can quickly escalate. I instinctively said "Hey bro can you get back from there." He came over and got in my face. I didn't back down, but he saw that I was carrying and went over to his buddy and got a gun off him(tucked it in his waist and was threatening to shoot). My friend was scared and I knew there was no good ending to the situation even if I drew first. I kept my calm and ignored him while keeping him in my side view and my hand free to shoot. I paid at the counter and we walked out while he was yelling racist hate speach and threatening me. Well in all the commotion I was focused on him and the gun and I left my keys on the table... Well the servers came outside with us scared and they then told me that one of the thugs grabbed my keys off the table. Trying to do everything to avoid a shootout I ended up calling the police. They were there fairly quickly and several officer's showed up. As soon as the police showed up the thugs threw the keys to the ground. The individuals weren't arrested, but I am glad that the scenario didn't escalate to where I had to use my firearm and I am thankful for the quick response of IMPD.
    I did learn several lessons that night, be more aware of my surroundings and avoid places that things like this are more likely to occur, be mindful of who I'm with(my friend does not carry and it was unfair for me to potentially put him in harm's way), I need to buy a conceal carry, and also to remove the retension strap on my open carry holster.
    I will be doing research on defensive pistol classes and I will be more vigilant on range time.

[h=2]ACT Defensive Pistol 201 18AUG18 RileyCC[/h][h=2]Dr William Aprill - UNTHINKABLE - Columbus, IN - 11-3-18[/h]
    [h=2]Defensive Concepts 1 and 2 September 29, 2018 at Riley Conservation Club[/h]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Police should have been called at the onset, I personally would have taken the retrieval of a gun as a threat...and, so it’s said, once the police were called, your coworker should have stayed to back your story. The key thing was a serious tactical flaw in that you gave up your means of retreat. Personal property belongs on your body, not the table. Just like backing in to parking spaces, you know how fast you got there, you never know how fast you may have to leave, so not having keys on you is like a bad horror movie, escape to the care from the chasing monster, only to find monster grinning at you with keys in hand! Glad it worked out well, and glad you see the need for more training. Look at the UNTHINKABLE class in the training section by Dr. Aprill, it’s very enlightening.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Curious. What Brand/model of holster are you carrying?

I would be very curious to know where this happened at.

Ditto. Help us all avoid potential hotspots. Given the staff wouldnt talk, this obviously aint their first rodeo.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My recommendation is to drive to a better area to have food if you want to eat at the 3rd shift hours.
    A person can be trained to be an awesome hand to hand fighter and a gunfighter, and their odds of winning or surviving will go up dramatically. But the best thing you can teach them is not to walk down the middle of a highway at night because they are certain to get hit by a car for nothing.
    Ok maybe I am no good at that kind of analogy ****. So what I'm saying is, dont walk down a dark alley at 2am wearing a gold watch even if you have a gun and know how to use it.
    Just because you can doesnt mean you should. Good situational awareness keeps you out of a fight and out of fights you can avoid means you live longer or have more teeth.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ok maybe I am no good at that kind of analogy ****. So what I'm saying is, dont walk down a dark alley at 2am wearing a gold watch even if you have a gun and know how to use it. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.

If you don't want to get eaten by an alligator, don't go swimming in the swamp.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom