Finally, a cop shoots someone in the leg....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Not sure any shots should have been fired. I didn't see any aggressive moves towards the officers. When the tazer didn't effect her I guess its reasonable to believe shes on something that a bullet may not stop right away At the same time she was told multiple times to drop the screw driver. At the same time Play stupid games win stupid prizes. When she gets out of prison maybe she'll be a little smarter when dealing with police.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Looks like a good outcome to me. The Taser failed (big surprise, lol), and she was still armed with a deadly weapon and refused to drop it. Why not blow out the kneecaps if you've got the time and opportunity? A firearm is never a "less lethal" tool, but if it can be utilized in a potentially less lethal manner in cases where deadly force would be authorized anyway, then why not?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Looks like a good outcome to me. The Taser failed (big surprise, lol), and she was still armed with a deadly weapon and refused to drop it. Why not blow out the kneecaps if you've got the time and opportunity? A firearm is never a "less lethal" tool, but if it can be utilized in a potentially less lethal manner in cases where deadly force would be authorized anyway, then why not?
    I don't disagree with you at all. I'm not saying the cop was wrong at all. I have never been in situations like this. I don't know much about LEO training.

Here's what I do know. Cops show up tell me to drop the screw driver. Its getting dropped.

I'm certainly not cop bashing so don't take it that way. She had plenty of opportunities to drop it and failed to do so. Cop had shot her in the chest so be it. Less tax money needed to feed and house them.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't disagree with you at all. I'm not saying the cop was wrong at all. I have never been in situations like this. I don't know much about LEO training.

Here's a little of that LEO training:

[video=youtube;17SNOqb_WUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SNOqb_WUk[/video]

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have zero applicable training so these are simply my thoughts for conversation sake. I'm fascinated by all the logic that has to go into how you even devise training concepts given the unimaginable ways any situation could play out.
    Examples:
    ---If she shanks the dude next to her, hind sight (yeah, I know) will say cop should have dropped her earlier.
    ---If, for whatever reason, you use your gun with non lethal intent, what is the science behind higher percentage target location selection? I have an intimate knowledge of anat/physio and have my opinions but has anyone established an official policy?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have zero applicable training so these are simply my thoughts for conversation sake. I'm fascinated by all the logic that has to go into how you even devise training concepts given the unimaginable ways any situation could play out.
    Examples:
    ---If she shanks the dude next to her, hind sight (yeah, I know) will say cop should have dropped her earlier.
    ---If, for whatever reason, you use your gun with non lethal intent, what is the science behind higher percentage target location selection? I have an intimate knowledge of anat/physio and have my opinions but has anyone established an official policy?

We (at least IMPD) aren't trained in "non lethal intent" with a firearm. We are trained to shoot center mass until the threat stops, and head or pelvic bowl if the center mass shots don't achieve the desired outcome. If we want to use "non lethal" tools then we go with CS, Taser, or for some officers the beanbag shotgun.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Examples:
    Right. It's a hard call. Fortunate enough I don't have to make those decisions.

Thanks for the video Route 45. Might show it to some people I know who refuse to carry with one in the chamber.

It all happens so quickly. I don't care if that lady is alive or dead. The police officer went home safely to his family. That's what matters to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oooo.... Challenge Accepted!

When my spouse returned to the range with us after a long absence she was amazed we were shooting dueling trees at 45+ yards. She asked why were we concentrating on small targets at those distances. Then she watched some of the shoot out videos and paid attention to scenarios on the tube. Now she gets it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    He should have just shot the screwdriver out of her hand. :rolleyes:

I watched a kid die of a screwdriver puncture to the heart. He couldn't catch his breath and died a miserable death in about 15 minutes. Nothing I could do to help him.
    Anyone think a screwdriver isn't a deadly weapon is just ignorant.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why didn’t he face shoot her with the taser? He didn’t have to resort to his firearm, he could have just run up on her for a drive stun to the nose.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I hope the cows weren’t traumatized.

Just standing around, chewing their cud and all of sudden it's Live PD! They did send a scout out to check on the activity. Maybe the PD will get a statement from that one, or have a BBQ.

The individual who got shot is not on a distinguished path. It will lead to "shot by Police". Oh wait, it did!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

It's called flinching (anticipation) when the officers hit the legs...;) BTW, a bullet can NEVER be considered "less lethal" as human bodies react poorly when a bullet is introduced, no matter the location.

Top Bottom