• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I apologize if this is already addressed in another thread, but I lack the time to search for it. My stepdaughter has had her LTCH for a while now and they recently moved. She went online and updated her address on the State Police site, but they are tight on money right now and she opted to not get a new license. I'm pretty sure that's fine, as having the address updated in their files is the only requirement I've seen. I emailed the contact address about it and received this response:

Mr. Burnette
    See the Indiana Handgun Carry License Code.

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    (i) If a person who holds a valid license to carry a handgun issued
    under this chapter:
    (1) changes the person's name;
    (2) changes the person's address; or
    (3) experiences a change, including an arrest or a conviction,
    that may affect the person's status as a proper person (as defined
    in IC 35-47-1-7) or otherwise disqualify the person from
    holding a license;
    the person shall, not later than thirty (30) days after the date of a
    change described under subdivision (3), and not later than sixty (60)
    days after the date of the change described under subdivision (1) or
    (2), notify the superintendent, in writing, of the event described under
    subdivision (3) or, in the case of a change under subdivision (1) or
    (2), the person's new name or new address.

I emailed them back and asked again if the license itself needed to reflect the correct address and the response was:

Mr. Burnette
    The Indiana Handgun Carry License Code does not address if the license holder would need to purchase an updated license.

I assume that means she's okay keeping her old license and not having to purchase a new one. At least that's the way it sounds to me... :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    By law you do not need a new printed card. HOWEVER. There is a chance she runs across a LEO that is ignorant of the actual requirements of the law and substitutes their own reality.

Several years ago I was pulled over and the officer was on a power trip. He proceeded to speak in a threatening tone and asked if the address on my LTCH was my current address. It was time right then and there before he walked back to his car to fess up. "because if I call this in and this address (on the LTCH) is incorrect, you are going to jail today." (paraphrased) He believed that if the card wasnt accurate, you were in violation of the law.

That incident and the discussion about it here is what led to part of my signature below.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    By law you do not need a new printed card. HOWEVER. There is a chance she runs across a LEO that is ignorant of the actual requirements of the law and substitutes their own reality.

Several years ago I was pulled over and the officer was on a power trip. He proceeded to speak in a threatening tone and asked if the address on my LTCH was my current address. It was time right then and there before he walked back to his car to fess up. "because if I call this in and this address (on the LTCH) is incorrect, you are going to jail today." (paraphrased) He believed that if the card wasnt accurate, you were in violation of the law.

That incident and the discussion about it here is what led to part of my signature below.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was afraid of. I think I'll just send her the money to get a replacement license, just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your feedback.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Who is the legal giant that says during his CLE lectures, "a confused cop is an arresty cop."

Not only does that man have great flowing locks of hair, he provides brilliant legal insight.

Next he will tell you that $20 is far cheaper than bond, time off work and attorney fees.

Then he will tell you that when people say "I don't have the money", they have the money, they just don't want to spend $20 on THAT.

They will spend thousands on cigarettes, tats, vacations, dogs, inter alia, but $20 to refuse a flank, NO WAY!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't disagree Kirk, but being very young 20 somethings living on their own, they honestly do lack for cash at the moment. It's a moot point as I have already given the $20 to my wife to give to her daughter the next time she's down in Bedford, so it's all good. I completely agree with not giving a LEO the opportunity to be confused. I'm a big supporter of LEO's and the job they do, however I understand that stuff happens and planning things so as to avoid said stuff is the best way to go... ;)

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    The biggest problem I could see them having is if they travel to a state that requires you to have your license on you. Of course, they wont be familiar with Indiana laws at all and will instantly balk when they see an address different from your license. Of course, legally they are still fine in this case but it would probably become a much bigger issue than if they were carded in Indiana.

WhiteElder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2017
    Central IN
    Just updated my address a few weeks ago and kinda bummed that it has in large red letters DUPLICATE.

We plan on staying at this address for the next dozens of years so figured it would be best to get new cards.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Changed my address only online 5 years ago and haven't had issue, but if you really really think I should get a new card; it'd be nice if someone post a link and send me the $21.47.

..so I could settle on just the link.

Addendum: Ok, I actually found it on my own

https://www.in.gov/isp/3262.htm

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I changed my address and opted for a new card recently. It arrived faster than my new drivers license.
    About 12 years ago while doing armed security a South Bend cop asked for mine after they arrested someone I had thrown out of the club I was working at. I thought it strange since the cops were pretty frequently at that club. I guess I kept them busy.:):

Top Bottom