carry at events where politicians are present.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Title says it all. If I was attending an event, non political, where politicians(senators or congressmen) and potentially a military general would be present.

Is there anything to make this a legal gun free zone?

asking out of curiosity mostly.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Public event? Armed "Security" (ie Secret Service or military)?

Ticketed event put on and paid for by private entity, not on gov property, security unknown. Let’s say for hypothetical question purposes no security checkpoints.

To further clarify What I am asking is are there any federal/state roving GFZ involving certain dignatarys other than the president and VP.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Ticketed event put on and paid for by private entity, not on gov property, security unknown. Let’s say for hypothetical question purposes no security checkpoints.

To further clarify What I am asking is are there any federal/state roving GFZ involving certain dignatarys other than the president and VP.
    Not that I've ever been aware, however IANAL

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Secret Service protected individual = GFZ. Private entity = their house, their rules. Indiana Government entity below State level/not otherwise prohibited (Statehouse, courthouse, etc.) = carry away!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What law allows that?

SS controls access to the facility. OK, "protect" is a pretty broad word.

18 U.S. Code § 3056 - Powers, authorities, and duties of United States Secret Service

a) Under the direction of the Secretary of Homeland Security, the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect the following persons: (1) The President, the Vice President (or other officer next in the order of succession to the Office of President), the President-elect, and the Vice President-elect

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3056

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    For many years now any time a high level politician shows up at any location where U.S. troops are present they make them remove the bolts from their rifles and are searched to make sure they have no ammunition. If you cannot even trust your own troops then something is seriously wrong....... Can you even imagine how a United States Marine must feel when he is treated like this?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I attended the Ted Cruz rally at Knightstown in 2016. I left my gun in the car as I figured there would be tight security. There was not tight security. They KPD officers there and two SS agents that I could see. I sat close enough to the podium I could have touched Ted Cruz. I did notice one of the SS agents was packing more than a pistol. I could see the harness from his shoulder rig printing through his jacket. It looked to be for some sort of sub gun or short AR.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    President Trump will be in Evansville Thursday and the event is one block from my offices. I have a great sight line so I will enjoy watching the crowds and protesters but I am not venturing out until the coast is clear.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    President Trump will be in Evansville Thursday and the event is one block from my offices. I have a great sight line so I will enjoy watching the crowds and protesters but I am not venturing out until the coast is clear.

I hope you are not a librarian working at a book depository.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    "line of sight" and "President" probably shouldn't be used together.

You've now activated a line of code in a NSA computer somewhere.

Poop.
    Now I have.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    In 2014? there was a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the connection of two parts of the Bearskin Trail, between Tomahawk and Minocqua, Wi. A hiking and snowmobile trail. Since I usually walk my dog, a well behaved German Shepherd, on the trail anyway, and was home I decided to hike up there and observe. I normally open carry a 6” 686, which I did that day. Tonette Walker, our Governor Scott Walker’s wife was there to do the deed.

A limosine and several other cars arrived, and I was shortly bracketed by one uniformed State Patrol Officer and two guys in suits who told me she would not exit the limo, and the proceedings would be canceled if I did not leave post haste. There were 17 people there, not counting the Gov people. Nobody asked for ID or gave me any real options. Being new to open carry conflicts, I headed back down the trail. The uniform walked beside me maybe 1/4 mile. I tried to ask him some questions but all he would say is “keep walking”. He stopped, I kept walking and he stood there on the trail until I got around the next corner, at least. I voted for Walker and took some offense to the whole thing, but I’m over it now. My dog, for some reason, does not like people in uniform, so I don’t think they would/could have put a hand on me unless they shot her first.

Not sure what my options were, wasn’t looking to stall the proceedings. Did run into an occasional coyote on the trail. Wolves and moose not impossible. Tourists from Chicago always on the back of your mind, tho they never venture too far from the sight of civilization.....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom