Uber driver kills someone who threatened him, good shoot if Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sheriff Grady Judd, I like it. Self-defense, reasonably believed life was in danger.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

I am not familiar with any legal issues regarding an "occupied motor vehicle." Could you elaborate please?

Thanks,

Doug

35-41-3-2-d
    (d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person;  and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...ff-judd-calls-classic-stand-your-ground-case-

i think you could reasonably say you were in fear of your life. The text messages and drugs were not known at the time but certainly help the driver’s case.

What the driver didn't know is irrelevant criminally. It's what he knew, or reasonably should have known, at the time deadly force was used. Guy made threats and indicated he had a gun. Guy reached for what could reasonably be a gun. Good shoot as far as criminal law.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    35-41-3-2-d
    (d) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against any other person;  and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I don't have legal authority to use lethal force if someone is breaking into my car while it is parked on the street, but I do have that authority if I am in it.

Regards,

Doug

PS -
    So what's the legal definition of curtilage again?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That was a weird 911 call for someone who just killed a guy. You don’t start with the need for an ambulance? He was “run off the road”?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm good with what I've been presented with.

My only quibble is why the sheriff had to make this a SYG case in his comments rather than a simple case of self defense.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The video really helped frame the reasonableness of the fear. That was messed up.

I continue to be disappointed in how reporters describe things. Not just political things, but anything. The writing in that story wasn't particularly helpful in figuring out what happened.

My thought was that if the guy just got out and said he had a gun, without more, there may have been a bit of unreasonableness in shooting at him. (Yeah yeah yeah, this'll be the post that launches a thousand hypotheticals.) But, the sheriff's presser and the video emphasized that the uber driver had a very short amount of time to make some very important decisions for his own safety and that of the person he was driving.

For curtilage, I think one of the main cases in Indiana is the Sowers case.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I feel bad for everyone involved.
    You never know what’s going to happen if emotions run that high.
    I feel safe to assume that the aggressor had used intimidation before. I still cannot understand what good end result would come out of assaulting the Uber driver?

I think Indiana society would be fine if it was a civilian on civilian but a different ballgame if it was a Police Officer.

Insert name of city - “Police Officer shoots unarmed man”

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The article says the dead guy told the shooter he had a gun and if he wanted to get shot. Then supposedly the Uber driver grabbed his gun from the door and shot him. Based on the video he had the gun in his hand before the bad guy mentioned a gun.

the writing is so bad in this story. I had to read it a few times to know who was in the car and which woman was who

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The article says the dead guy told the shooter he had a gun and if he wanted to get shot. Then supposedly the Uber driver grabbed his gun from the door and shot him. Based on the video he had the gun in his hand before the bad guy mentioned a gun.

Yeah, and if a guy runs me off the road like that, I'll probably have my gun in my hand before the wheels are stopped, too! Ok, maybe a second after the wheels stop, but you get the idea.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

the writing is so bad in this story. I had to read it a few times to know who was in the car and which woman was who

I'm pretty sure I would have too.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

Thanks. That makes sense.

I don't have legal authority to use lethal force if someone is breaking into my car while it is parked on the street, but I do have that authority if I am in it.

Regards,

Doug

PS -
    So what's the legal definition of curtilage again?

I like the way Indiana's law is both short, clear, broad. It does not limit SYG to only to a "home", but to a "dwelling" (apartment, motel room, house boat, even a camping tent can be a dwelling) and occupied motor vehicle (RV, semi, passenger vehicle).

Top Bottom