Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injure

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    WOW! First off prayers for the wounded LEO and mad props to the armed citizen. Gotta wonder about "automatic weapon", I'm thinking not. Hey Illinois: how many court cases did it take for this guy to exercise a Constitutional Right?

A licensed gun owner was hailed Thursday for his role in helping police in suburban Chicago stop a suspect who was firing an automatic weapon, officials said.

Officials commended the unnamed civilian for his actions as they stood outside a hospital where Cicero police Officer Luis Duarte, 31, was undergoing surgery for four gunshot wounds suffered during the shootout, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

“We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there’s who’s a concealed-carry holder, and he’s also engaged in gunfire,” said Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Jr.

The chaos erupted just after 5 p.m. when Duarte, a four-year-veteran of the department, and his partner tried to pull over a vehicle in Cicero for a routine traffic stop. The driver instead took off onto a ramp leading to Interstate 55, in Chicago’s city limits.
    The officers boxed the vehicle in traffic and the suspect got out and began firing the automatic weapon at them as he fled on foot, Fox 32 Chicago reported. The officers returned fire.

The concealed-carry owner then got out of his vehicle and began shooting at the suspect.
    “He got out and started helping the police, which is something I’ve got to be proud of,” Cicero town President Larry Dominick told the Sun-Times.

The suspect was hit once but it was not clear if the bullet came from the officers or the concealed-carry holder.
    Duarte suffered wounds to an arm, a leg and his abdomen, but was talking and alert ahead of surgery, officials said.
    The suspect was taken to a hospital and listed in serious condition. His weapon was found at the scene.

Illinois State Police are investigating the officers’ use of force.

Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injured | Fox News

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hope the officer makes a full recovery. Need more stories report such as this. Perhaps the good people of Illinois will some day tear down the wall and restore freedom and liberty.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    “We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there’s who’s a concealed-carry holder, and he’s also engaged in gunfire,” said Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Jr.

Lucky is right. Legal carriers are about 1/3 the number they are in Indiana. Then think about of the few legal carriers, how many are the type of person who would risk his life to get involved. And that guy happened to be in the neighborhood. Lucky indeed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Uhhh... well, if I was an officer in a situation where it was literally life or death, and in a bad spot, I'd welcome the help from anybody... but not so much wanting random people to start engaging suspects side by side if the situation isn't especially dire (which I assume this one was).

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My worry would be that the citizen is mistaken for another bad guy. Would probably never get involved in police business myself.

Of course automatic fire from bad guys changes everything. This was obviously an extraordinary situation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And here we go. You'll be mistaken as another bad guy.

That's a risk, almost all the time, but I think most cops - heck, most PEOPLE - will intuit that if there's incoming rounds, anyone shooting back toward those incoming is probably on "our" side. The deeper recesses of the brain might have time to rationalize that it is an off duty or plain clothes officer.

Probably mostly, though, "Not shooting at me, not going to worry about it."

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    That's a risk, almost all the time, but I think most cops - heck, most PEOPLE - will intuit that if there's incoming rounds, anyone shooting back toward those incoming is probably on "our" side. The deeper recesses of the brain might have time to rationalize that it is an off duty or plain clothes officer.

Probably mostly, though, "Not shooting at me, not going to worry about it."

I've always thought this should be true. When I think of engagement in such a situation, I pray that it will be if I ever feel compelled to participate. Life is a crapshoot. Gotta die of something. Guess it might as well be something exciting. :rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Just for the sake of the inevitable legalities I hope the round that took the bad guy out came from the officers weapon.

Or the bad guy dies of his wounds and has no family to argue what a good boy he was.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just for the sake of the inevitable legalities I hope the round that took the bad guy out came from the officers weapon.

Or the bad guy dies of his wounds and has no family to argue what a good boy he was.
    Turning his life around, like everyone who gets into shootouts with the Police. He was on his way to do volunteer work when the Police tried to stop him.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Uhhh... well, if I was an officer in a situation where it was literally life or death, and in a bad spot, I'd welcome the help from anybody...

Yep. I'd like to think this incident followed similar dialog to this...

[video=youtube;o4JxW0lvziI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4JxW0lvziI[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Uhhh... well, if I was an officer in a situation where it was literally life or death, and in a bad spot, I'd welcome the help from anybody... but not so much wanting random people to start engaging suspects side by side if the situation isn't especially dire (which I assume this one was).

One officer suffered multiple hits.
    So...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My worry would be that the citizen is mistaken for another bad guy. Would probably never get involved in police business myself.

Of course automatic fire from bad guys changes everything. This was obviously an extraordinary situation.

You know, when the news refers to an "automatic weapon", they usually (always) are referring to an "automatic" vs. a "revolver", and that the "automatic" is a SEMI-automatic.
    They just hope everyone thinks people are running around with FULL autos. It helps push the gun control narrative.
    Of course, I could be wrong. But after watching the news for decades, I haven't been wrong on this yet.
    Automatic refers to "semi-auto".
    Then, to confuse people more, they made up a term, "Full Semi-Automatic".

Any pistol is a "glock".
    Any long gun is an "AR-15" or an "AK-47", or a mixture of those letters/numbers, even if it's a shotgun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Indiana police are trained to NOT shoot just anybody with a gun. They seem to "evaluate".

So, don't point the gun at the police, or anywhere in their direction, point it at the bad guy, and your chance of being shot goes down.

If you are seriously worried about being shot by them, it's probably not a good idea to have a gun in your house, or concealed carry. Cause concealed is not invisible. They can see it.
    And people have been shot in their own home by police, in a few instances, though I think they were not in this state.

If we were in one of the anti-gun states, I'd be more worried.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Do journalists that report positively on guns get black listed like meteorologists that deny "man made" global warming?

Top Bottom