Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injure

WOW! First off prayers for the wounded LEO and mad props to the armed citizen. Gotta wonder about "automatic weapon", I'm thinking not. Hey Illinois: how many court cases did it take for this guy to exercise a Constitutional Right?

A licensed gun owner was hailed Thursday for his role in helping police in suburban Chicago stop a suspect who was firing an automatic weapon, officials said.

Officials commended the unnamed civilian for his actions as they stood outside a hospital where Cicero police Officer Luis Duarte, 31, was undergoing surgery for four gunshot wounds suffered during the shootout, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

“We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there’s who’s a concealed-carry holder, and he’s also engaged in gunfire,” said Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Jr.

The chaos erupted just after 5 p.m. when Duarte, a four-year-veteran of the department, and his partner tried to pull over a vehicle in Cicero for a routine traffic stop. The driver instead took off onto a ramp leading to Interstate 55, in Chicago’s city limits.
    The officers boxed the vehicle in traffic and the suspect got out and began firing the automatic weapon at them as he fled on foot, Fox 32 Chicago reported. The officers returned fire.

The concealed-carry owner then got out of his vehicle and began shooting at the suspect.
    “He got out and started helping the police, which is something I’ve got to be proud of,” Cicero town President Larry Dominick told the Sun-Times.

The suspect was hit once but it was not clear if the bullet came from the officers or the concealed-carry holder.
    Duarte suffered wounds to an arm, a leg and his abdomen, but was talking and alert ahead of surgery, officials said.
    The suspect was taken to a hospital and listed in serious condition. His weapon was found at the scene.

Illinois State Police are investigating the officers’ use of force.

Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injured | Fox News
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Hope the officer makes a full recovery. Need more stories report such as this. Perhaps the good people of Illinois will some day tear down the wall and restore freedom and liberty.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

User Info Menu

“We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there’s who’s a concealed-carry holder, and he’s also engaged in gunfire,” said Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Jr.

Lucky is right. Legal carriers are about 1/3 the number they are in Indiana. Then think about of the few legal carriers, how many are the type of person who would risk his life to get involved. And that guy happened to be in the neighborhood. Lucky indeed.
    “Any dog under 50 pounds is a cat and cats are pointless.” —Ron Swanson

User Info Menu

Uhhh... well, if I was an officer in a situation where it was literally life or death, and in a bad spot, I'd welcome the help from anybody... but not so much wanting random people to start engaging suspects side by side if the situation isn't especially dire (which I assume this one was).
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

Marksman

User Info Menu

My worry would be that the citizen is mistaken for another bad guy. Would probably never get involved in police business myself.

Of course automatic fire from bad guys changes everything. This was obviously an extraordinary situation.

User Info Menu

And here we go. You'll be mistaken as another bad guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue falcon View Post
    And here we go. You'll be mistaken as another bad guy.
    That's a risk, almost all the time, but I think most cops - heck, most PEOPLE - will intuit that if there's incoming rounds, anyone shooting back toward those incoming is probably on "our" side. The deeper recesses of the brain might have time to rationalize that it is an off duty or plain clothes officer.

Probably mostly, though, "Not shooting at me, not going to worry about it."
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    That's a risk, almost all the time, but I think most cops - heck, most PEOPLE - will intuit that if there's incoming rounds, anyone shooting back toward those incoming is probably on "our" side. The deeper recesses of the brain might have time to rationalize that it is an off duty or plain clothes officer.

Probably mostly, though, "Not shooting at me, not going to worry about it."
    I've always thought this should be true. When I think of engagement in such a situation, I pray that it will be if I ever feel compelled to participate. Life is a crapshoot. Gotta die of something. Guess it might as well be something exciting.
    Training, SOLDIER!

User Info Menu

Just for the sake of the inevitable legalities I hope the round that took the bad guy out came from the officers weapon.

Or the bad guy dies of his wounds and has no family to argue what a good boy he was.
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by femurphy77 View Post
    Just for the sake of the inevitable legalities I hope the round that took the bad guy out came from the officers weapon.

Or the bad guy dies of his wounds and has no family to argue what a good boy he was.
    Turning his life around, like everyone who gets into shootouts with the Police. He was on his way to do volunteer work when the Police tried to stop him.
    INGOer #25,448

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast