Do you have to have your license on you when carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My daughter has started an early morning walking exercise program and wants to carry while doing it. She has a permit to carry. . She asked me if she had to have the license in her possession while carrying or can it be in her vehicle.

Thanks in advance..

WW

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm glad she's going to carry while walking/running/exercising. A lot of people don't and claim it gets in the way of their routine or they can't fit it in their bag or it's too heavy.... blah-blah-blah.

If she can make it work for the gun then she can sure make a little card get tucked away somewhere also. But again, I'm not trying to fit a bunch of things in my yoga pants...... that you know of.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Whenever I'm outside my wallet is on me which always has my LTCH in it.

But that is just me;you don't necessarily need to have it on you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It should not be a problem.

Unless there is reasonable suspicion that you are about to commit/have committed a crime there is no reason for authorities to accost you.

If you are involved in a self defense shooting your license is linked to your Name and address.

You are never required to carry your LTCH. It is not even illegal to drive without your drivers license on your person as long as you own one. I have been stopped once when I had forgotten my wallet and all they did wad look at my registration and run my name and address.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It should not be a problem.

Unless there is reasonable suspicion that you are about to commit/have committed a crime there is no reason for authorities to accost you.

If you are involved in a self defense shooting your license is linked to your Name and address.

You are never required to carry your LTCH. It is not even illegal to drive without your drivers license on your person as long as you own one. I have been stopped once when I had forgotten my wallet and all they did wad look at my registration and run my name and address.

IC 9-24-13-3 said:
    Sec. 3 . An individual holding a permit or driver's license issued under this article must have the permit or driver's license in the individual's immediate possession when driving or operating a motor vehicle.  The individual shall display the driver's license or permit upon demand of a court or a police officer authorized by law to enforce motor vehicle rules.
    c. 3 . An individual holding a permit or driver's license issued under this article must have the permit or driver's license in the individual's immediate possession when driving or operating a motor vehicle.  The individual shall display the driver's license or permit upon demand of a court or a police officer authorized by law to enforce motor vehicle rules.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    c. 3 . An individual holding a permit or driver's license issued under this article must have the permit or driver's license in the individual's immediate possession when driving or operating a motor vehicle.  The individual shall display the driver's license or permit upon demand of a court or a police officer authorized by law to enforce motor vehicle rules.

Is this pulling a "Vinny?"

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I stand corrected. How many of those in your profession will push the matter if someone says they forgot their wallet.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I stand corrected. How many of those in your profession will push the matter if someone says they forgot their wallet.

You'd be surprised. Not many actually will, but there are always a couple inflexible guys willing to stick it to you.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

In 27 years I never wrote a ticket for No [drivers] License in Possession to anyone who had a valid license I could verify through IDACS (or NLETS, for out-of-state). Doesn't mean there's not 'that guy' out there who likes to bail paper, collecting up as many tickets and warnings he could get, even if some were slim pinches.

As for the LTCH, the requirement to have it on your person while carrying was removed during the legislature's 2010 session, the same one where the broadened the places where you could possess or carry without a license, adding places such as firearms-related events (safety class, gun show), on your own property, property of another with permission, etc.

But, the wise advice here is carry it if you reasonably can, and avoid the hassle that might come from a confused, arresty cop (ht to Atty. Freeman).

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    You'd be surprised. Not many actually will, but there are always a couple inflexible guys willing to stick it to you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kutnupe14 again.

"inflexible" is just one word I would use to describe some of those guys!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I never have. Of course most of the 'forgot my wallet' folks had a wallet and weren't who they said they were. Someone who legit just didn't have it on them, I'm not writing it.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm guessing that if you had to shoot an assailant and it wasn't really obvious that you're probably innocent--ie you're grandpa at the ATM or soccer-mom putting kids and groceries in the van--that you're going to need to post bail (might need to do that even if you do have your LTCH on you). LTCH is way smaller than a micro compact pistol and I can't see a reason for not carrying it--unless I forgot my wallet

Top Bottom