• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It has been a few years since I've purchased or looked in to OC Spray. I have purchased Fox Labs in the past as I understood it to be a quality product. Sabre is another popular brand.

If you have specific experience with multiple brands, consistencies, or spray patterns, I'd be interested to know what works well.

Which brands are best?

Are there police agency testing trials that can be referenced to evaluate reliability or efficacy?

I only have experience with plain stream or cone spray types. Are gels or foam sprays worth it? If so, can they be found in the key chain size cannisters?

Are there other considerations I'm overlooking?

Where can non-LE folks go for quality OC training?

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    I'm a certified instructor for oleoresin capsicum aerosol training, commonly known as oc or pepper spray. However, other than for crowds or animals, I am not a fan of oc spray. On individuals, I have seen it not work as many times as I have seen it work.

I am issued First Defender MK3, and have been for most of my police career. It shoots a stream, which I highly recommend. I find you get better distance, accuracy and less residual effects. I have not used the gel or foam sprays, but have spoken with officers who have and the feedback I received did not lead me to believe they are any better.

I'm sure there's some research out there if your google-fu is strong. If I recall correctly, Force Science Institute has done some research and testing.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm a certified instructor for oleoresin capsicum aerosol training, commonly known as oc or pepper spray. However, other than for crowds or animals, I am not a fan of oc spray. On individuals, I have seen it not work as many times as I have seen it work.

I am issued First Defender MK3, and have been for most of my police career. It shoots a stream, which I highly recommend. I find you get better distance, accuracy and less residual effects. I have not used the gel or foam sprays, but have spoken with officers who have and the feedback I received did not lead me to believe they are any better.

I'm sure there's some research out there if your google-fu is strong. If I recall correctly, Force Science Institute has done some research and testing.

How often do you hear about transfer or back-splatter (for lack of knowing the right term ) being an issue? Im picturing: You spray, it doesn't work well, fight ensues, and you get some effect too.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    How often do you hear about transfer or back-splatter (for lack of knowing the right term ) being an issue? Im picturing: You spray, it doesn't work well, fight ensues, and you get some effect too.

99% of the time, when you use it...everyone gets a dose of it. One of the other reasons I rarely use it now with a resistor.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    How often do you hear about it being used as an effective deterrent or to open up time to escape by folks who are less capable of mounting any other serious defense?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    popcorn_wave_buffy_willow.gif

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    How often do you hear about it being used as an effective deterrent or to open up time to escape by folks who are less capable of mounting any other serious defense?

I care more about my experience, or those I know and trust, than what I hear from anyone else. Like I said, for me and mine, it's about 50-50

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Chuck Haggard does blocks on OC spray if you ever end up at one of the many multi instructor classes (Tac-con, PeP, etc.)

I got in a fight with a guy while aiding a Gary police officer. Cop went to spray the guy, guy moved, cop sprayed me. It had no negative impact on my ability to fight, rather it was the inverse. My sight wasn't perfect but I could still see. I don't need much vision to grapple.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I think OC is effective for spraying and running away in a civilian capacity. It certainly isn’t a fight stopper. When I was sprayed all I wanted to do was fight.

I carry a Sabre Red pepper spray on my keychain. It’s pretty inexpensive on amazon and it comes with an inert training spray.

It’s a decent tool to have in your toolbox as long as you know its limitations.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AT3LMP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5H-SBb8JS8WNB

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't carry it off duty and don't use it very often on duty. It's a compliance tool, not a self-defense tool. "Do this or get sprayed" not "stop attacking me or get sprayed". For a non-dedicated, non-intoxicated individual giving you time to let it take effect. Ok. Maybe.

If you're faster then your attacker and it's a situation where running is an option, that's about the best results I've seen. Spray, run. If you get entangled, you're getting the effects as well.

Top Bottom