• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I'm heading to another state on vacation. Since Indiana has reciprocity, I was considering taking my firearm along. But, it is a concealed carry only state.
    Now I don't always open carry, but am used to living in a state where it is no big deal, one way or the other. And therefore, feel a little put upon to have to keep it in my pants, so to speak.
    Which brings my to my question / observation.
    It would seem to me that insisting that gun owners conceal carry only to be a first step in more aggressive gun control.
    So, even if you never open carry, wouldn't you feel slightly oppressed if Indiana went the way of concealed carry only?
    And therefore, shouldn't we all be open carry advocates? And maybe, just maybe, exercise our right to open carry more often?
    Just some random pre-vacation, mowing the grass while OC with my awesome 642.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did you overhear something at an LGS? :dunno:

An the concept of exercising a right just to keep a right is flawed, IMHO.

It has the very real potential of backfiring. Just ask the tacti-tubby who went to Chipotle with his SKS.

I'm not saying OC is wrong, (I do a lot), but doing for the purpose of making a statement is potentially dangerous. It lead to people going out of their way to prove a point. And that's the reason we don't have nice things.

We can keep beer at the office, but if I start exercising my privilege just to prove I have that privilege... well, the privilege won't be taken away because I don't drink at my desk.

Please don't tell me about rights - I'll just talking about it pragmatically.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't know if I consider CC a first step towards gun control. CCW is more of a gateway to "Carry as you see fit". Once you get a little taste of freedom, you want more.

It would be "nice", if all States had laws similar to Indiana's. The hodge-podge of handgun laws is certainly hard to follow. I'd still rather it be accomplished through state compacts, rather then Federal Law, as this is very much a State issue.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Did you overhear something at an LGS? :dunno:

An the concept of exercising a right just to keep a right is flawed, IMHO.

It has the very real potential of backfiring. Just ask the tacti-tubby who went to Chipotle with his SKS.

I'm not saying OC is wrong, (I do a lot), but doing for the purpose of making a statement is potentially dangerous. It lead to people going out of their way to prove a point. And that's the reason we don't have nice things.

We can keep beer at the office, but if I start exercising my privilege just to prove I have that privilege... well, the privilege won't be taken away because I don't drink at my desk.

Please don't tell me about rights - I'll just talking about it pragmatically.

I don't disagree with you, especially regarding the long gun carry.
    And I also agree that exercising a right, does not guarantee the right, and might backfire (pun) if done incorrectly.
    But, thinking ahead to what might come down the pike, not a bad idea.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At the risk of disagreeing with JettaKnight, I think we could be on a progression towards only needing the Larry for CC. I think that could be some incrementalism toward where we want to end up - constitutional carry.

Liberalizing the exceptions to the Larry to include OC might get people more used to seeing armed people, which would then make it conceptually easier to get rid of the license altogether.

Not advocating for it (I kinda like how things are now), but I do see the potential value in that position.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't disagree with you, especially regarding the long gun carry.
    And I also agree that exercising a right, does not guarantee the right, and might backfire (pun) if done incorrectly.
    But, thinking ahead to what might come down the pike, not a bad idea.

What I see coming down the pike is looser laws regarding carry (it's been trending that way for many years). End all GFZ! :rockwoot:

At the risk of disagreeing with JettaKnight,

How dare you!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Lifetime is only going away for 18 to 20 yr olds, it gives them a chance to reconsider life decisions when they are more mature.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Like eldirector said: CCW (even if concealed only) has been the gateway to restoring the RKBA. Clearly, prohibiting OC means less freedom but I think focusing on things like constitutional carry is more worthwhile, as that's proactive instead of reactive.

Top Bottom