Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ark

User Info Menu

It's a gimmick. There's no efficacy to it whatsoever.

If your kid dies in a school shooting, they aren't going to die fighting, and they probably aren't going to die running. They're gonna die curled up on the floor, compliant and sobbing, because they're a kid and kids are completely and totally unequipped to handle that kind of situation. That's how the deaths in school shootings tend to break down: A few random stragglers are picked off, and then the shooter finds a room full of compliant people and gets to work executing them with little to no resistance. It's ugly, but that's how it is. Backpack armor isn't going to do anything.

You might ask "well, what's the harm?". Unfortunately, I think the potential harm is plenty. No matter how much you tell your kid not to, he's gonna run his mouth about the armor in his backpack. A teacher, who are a virulently anti-gun bunch by nature, will overhear. That teacher will pick up the phone and invoke Indiana's red flag law because "a student is talking about school shootings and he has military-grade combat armor in his backpack". The police will kick your door, shoot your dog, and take your guns. Four years and $30,000 in attorney fees later, maybe you'll get a broken revolver and your H&R shotgun back, with all the good and valuable guns having conveniently been "lost" in the "evidence" of some deputy or administrator's personal collection. The sad fact is that despite being a purely defensive product, the media has indoctrinated people into believing that only aspiring shooters and racist militia nuts own body armor, and there is no legitimate civilian purpose to possessing it.

It's just not worth it. IIRC, you yourself are something like 20 times more likely to murder your own child than you are to lose your child in a school shooting. The school bus ride is much more likely to kill your child. If you have a swimming pool, protecting your child by filling it full of dirt has more statistical efficacy than buying them backpack armor.

Hell, I'm halfway convinced that backpack armor was only created in the first place to give anti-gun media something to scream "this is what America has come to!!1!!!1!".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    It's a gimmick. There's no efficacy to it whatsoever.

If your kid dies in a school shooting, they aren't going to die fighting, and they probably aren't going to die running. They're gonna die curled up on the floor, compliant and sobbing, because they're a kid and kids are completely and totally unequipped to handle that kind of situation. That's how the deaths in school shootings tend to break down: A few random stragglers are picked off, and then the shooter finds a room full of compliant people and gets to work executing them with little to no resistance. It's ugly, but that's how it is. Backpack armor isn't going to do anything.

You might ask "well, what's the harm?". Unfortunately, I think the potential harm is plenty. No matter how much you tell your kid not to, he's gonna run his mouth about the armor in his backpack. A teacher, who are a virulently anti-gun bunch by nature, will overhear. That teacher will pick up the phone and invoke Indiana's red flag law because "a student is talking about school shootings and he has military-grade combat armor in his backpack". The police will kick your door, shoot your dog, and take your guns. Four years and $30,000 in attorney fees later, maybe you'll get a broken revolver and your H&R shotgun back, with all the good and valuable guns having conveniently been "lost" in the "evidence" of some deputy or administrator's personal collection. The sad fact is that despite being a purely defensive product, the media has indoctrinated people into believing that only aspiring shooters and racist militia nuts own body armor, and there is no legitimate civilian purpose to possessing it.

It's just not worth it. IIRC, you yourself are something like 20 times more likely to murder your own child than you are to lose your child in a school shooting. The school bus ride is much more likely to kill your child. If you have a swimming pool, protecting your child by filling it full of dirt has more statistical efficacy than buying them backpack armor.

Hell, I'm halfway convinced that backpack armor was only created in the first place to give anti-gun media something to scream "this is what America has come to!!1!!!1!".
    What's with the "Debbie Downer"?
    I know it's Monday but..... still. Did some kids break your window for Halloween? You shouldn't have handed out rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    What's with the "Debbie Downer"?
    I know it's Monday but..... still. Did some kids break your window for Halloween? You shouldn't have handed out rocks.
    OP asked for opinions, one was expressed, what's the issue?

User Info Menu

The schools around here do not allow the kids to carry a backpack. It stays in their locker.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by singlesix View Post
    OP asked for opinions, one was expressed, what's the issue?
    Just because his wife switched to decaff doesn't mean he can take it out on INGO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

Ark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    Just because his wife switched to decaff doesn't mean he can take it out on INGO.
    Spoken like someone who hasn't experienced caffeine withdrawal.

It's an ugly topic that warrants discussion in clear terms. The detailed, sequence-of-events reporting I've read on mass shootings generally boils down to low-skill execution of compliant people, not a shooting gallery of moving targets. The most "successful" shootings happen when the shooter has full control over a single open space with a single point of entry/exit and is therefore able to murder people at his leisure. The victims who escape that situation typically do so by playing dead, or because the shooter allowed them to for whatever internal reason.

Armor would only be relevant under the following conditions:

-Line of sight to the shooter.

-Moving (likely fleeing), and thus able to escape line of sight before multiple shots are placed on target.

-Shooter is using a caliber within the threat envelope of the armor.

-Wounds aren't sustained anywhere else on the body that disable the ability to continue fleeing.

-The person or child wearing the armor is utilizing it effectively and has not completely frozen under the stress and terror.

That's unlikely condition, on top of unlikely condition, in the midst of an extremely unlikely event. I just don't see the efficacy, and in a time of complete anti-gun hysteria, I can see several potential hazards. I know everyone wants to protect their kids, but this is more about making a quick buck off parental anxiety than any actual usefulness.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's time to make Johnny and Susie's little jackets at home with some extra pockets in the front and back.

Anorak style would work nicely.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    OPSEC

If you go this route be sure to discuss how important it is he not to tell everyone anyone. It so easy for kids to brag and talk too much.
    Some info you don't trust outside family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tench Coxe
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blakstone
    It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

User Info Menu

Here’s one. My wife ordered one to evaluate for work. It seems well made. But yes, in Noblesville the kids leave the backpack in the lockers.
    https://guarddog-security.com/practi...roof-backpacks

User Info Menu

If I really thought that armoring up my child was necessary, there is no way my kid would be gathering with other kids in a GFZ unguarded by people with guns.

​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast