Subway armed robbery footage - whats the best action for an armed citizen?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hypothetical question. You're a customer eating a sandwich and then this happens: https://www.wthr.com/article/fishers-police-release-video-in-hopes-of-solving-subway-robbery

Armed thug storms in, climbs up on the counter, and holds up the cashier at gunpoint. There's another person standing near the door who may or may not also be armed. You have a concealed firearm. What's the best action to take in this scenario? At what point should you engage the suspect, if at all?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's tough to say really. Even in my capacity, I might not act. If I have my family with me, I do not want to get into a gunfight with a suspect with a high probability of a errant round hitting my loved ones. Also, there are 2 suspects. Take one down but risk being attacked by the 2nd. If you were not aware of a second suspect you might be screwed. If I was by myself and the armed robber did not notice me much, has their back to me, a well placed shot to the back could be in order. End the end, it just depends.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    What do I do? I guess that depends on the degree to which I am enjoying my sandwich.

I think it is kind of the robber to jump up on top of a counter, thus providing a safe backstop for 360 degrees.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This kind of **** right here is why I switched away from a dinky .380 in the pocket and committed to higher capacity, more powerful weapons for EDC.

I'd hate to have to engage more than 1 target, and would avoid it if I could help it. But if I had to, I wouldn't want to do it with a J frame or LCP when I could have been carrying my P365 or M&P Compact.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    16th and Tibbs, definitely an area to have your SA fine-tuned. Small place with a lot of innocent bystanders, not a good situation. One on the counter, the other at the door. That sounds like 180 degrees to me.

Hopefully these baddies find their way to the slammer soon.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. That won't happen when you are in there. Robbers picked their time.

2. You, if in there, need to pick your time. As in most things in life--investing, comedy, sex, fighting--it is a matter of timing.

3. Small restaurant and you may very well miss the tailgunner at the door even if you burn down the counter hopper.

Training is the way. Even if highly trained, you can still mess this up, badly.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    The bigger part of me says to put a bullet in the robber. The other part says until they escalate the situation to the point I feel that the robber is ready to shoot I should hold off making any moves and just let him take the money. It is sad that we have to be scared to act because we fear the lawsuit that will be levied against us but in this bleeding heart day and age the law breaker seems to have more rights than we do.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Meh, since they pulled the Buffalo sauce, I've decided to take my business elsewhere...

But... Like Denny, a lot would have to do with who I was with. If my family is with me, try to position myself to draw unnoticed, shield my family and engage only if necessary. If I was by myself, I would be more likely to engage, but it would depend on position. If I'm between the two dirt bags, not likely gonna happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good info here!

I agree with Kirk, likely the robbers cased to hit an empty house. That said, if you did find yourself watching this go down, what does that mean?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't eat at that particular Subway, so no chance of me having to make a decision on how to react.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Dad grew up right across the street. Grand parents lived there until they passed. We used to play all through that area. Sad what has happened to the area. A serious war zone at times.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    From what I saw in the video I’d probably try to get my family to some sort of cover, draw, and be ready. I’m not going to put my family at risk unless there’s no other options.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    1. That won't happen when you are in there. Robbers picked their time.

2. You, if in there, need to pick your time. As in most things in life--investing, comedy, sex, fighting--it is a matter of timing.

3. Small restaurant and you may very well miss the tailgunner at the door even if you burn down the counter hopper.

Training is the way. Even if highly trained, you can still mess this up, badly.

Avoidance is good, but you're carrying in case you end up in a situation you didn't have the foreknowledge to avoid. How do you train for this? What do you train?

Top Bottom