How often do you dream of having a 'defensive gun use' situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Odd question... perhaps. But I'm sort of curious how often other gun owners have dreams that may involve a DGU.

I'd also love to know how it compares to people that aren't gun-owners... but I won't find that statistic here.

Since owning and carrying guns, I can say I've definitely had a lot of dreams over the years where a gun was involved. In most cases, there's never a "bang"... and the trigger feels "squishy" and un-usable. Dreams being dreams, I guess.

How about you, INGO? Ever dream of single-handedly taking down ISIS with your pocket pistol? :)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is not uncommon. Nor is it unusual that the gun doesn't work in the dream. In mine I often have squibs, where the gun goes bang but the bullet comes out like someone throwing a soggy grape and they just bounce off the bad guy.

I don't have these dreams super frequently, maybe one every couple of months. That probably means I'm not training enough.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had a few. One I vividly remember. It was about 25 years ago when I lived in Terre Haute. There was this guy we all knew named Ron, who we called MoRon because he was a total moron. Nobody liked him.

In my dream I was walking out of a drugstore and he came toward me pointing a shotgun at me. I pulled my 1911 that I didn't own in real life and shot him several times. He dropped the shotgun and fell over. I picked up the shotgun and said "sweet, I have a new Benelli!" I went to my apartment and put the Benelli in my closet and went to bed.

When I woke up I was in a really good mood. Then, when I realized I didn't actually have a new Benelli, and that MoRon was still alive, I was really sad.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have had this happen quite a few times. I have had malfunctions, impossible to use triggers, can't manipulate the slide, and tons of other oddball things. I haven't had low velocity bullets, but i have had them be ineffective. I didn't have dreams like this before getting into guns.

If I am dreaming about paintball or something fun....even some nightmares they almost always work right.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This is not uncommon. Nor is it unusual that the gun doesn't work in the dream. In mine I often have squibs, where the gun goes bang but the bullet comes out like someone throwing a soggy grape and they just bounce off the bad guy.

I don't have these dreams super frequently, maybe one every couple of months. That probably means I'm not training enough.
    I’ve had the same dreams. The gun constantly malfunctions or fires like me throwing rocks. Not often, but maybe twice a year at most.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I'd say a couple times a year, but it is in the context of it not being where I left it or doesn't work like I thought it did.

About the same frequency, I have the dream where I'm in college and thought I'd dropped a class, but they're telling me I have to take the final. Even though I haven't been there the whole semester.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I remember something Dave Grossman saying once - that having dreams like this, especially when the gun doesn't work, is your subconscious' way of telling you it's doubting the recency of your training and your ability to perform.

Seems to be true for me. If I keep up on my training, such dreams go away. YMMV.

So, "how often?" It varies. Haven't had one in a couple of years at least (maybe longer). Been keeping up on my training. :yesway:

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    My main ones involve having the wrong magazine for the pistol and can't find the correct one. I've had the dreams of the bullet just barely coming out of the barrel and hitting the floor and also the can't squeeze the trigger because it's too strong. Now as for how often, it seems mine come more when I'm training/shooting a lot.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Yeah, I'd say a couple times a year, but it is in the context of it not being where I left it or doesn't work like I thought it did.

About the same frequency, I have the dream where I'm in college and thought I'd dropped a class, but they're telling me I have to take the final. Even though I haven't been there the whole semester.
    Hahaha, I’ve had that college dream several times too.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've had the gun wont go off, or the bullets bounce off .
    The ones that get me are the ones I can't move , my feet feel real heavy and my legs feel funny and I can't move.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Similar to others here. Sometimes the gun won't fire, other times it does but is a failure to stop like the person is immune. Sometimes the other person is someone I actually know, other times it's someone I only "know" in the dream, sometimes it's a stranger. For some reason the gun that fails is usually a Glock in 9mm. Most of the time when I have one dream like this more will follow over the next month or so. I usually end up with another 45 for the collection when they don't stop after the second time. In these dreams I never have a revolver, I own several and carry them sometimes. It's actually been several years since this has happened, it's also been several years since I've carried any of my Glocks as well. Even with something 'less' (like a J frame or PPS) it usually doesn't happen. I've probably jinxed myself now and will end up with another 45 for Christmas.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the ones where the gun don't work, is because in your sleep your finger is trying to pull the trigger, and there is no trigger there.
    So your brain takes that feedback into the dream as the gun not working.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Odd question... perhaps. But I'm sort of curious how often other gun owners have dreams that may involve a DGU.

I'd also love to know how it compares to people that aren't gun-owners... but I won't find that statistic here.

Since owning and carrying guns, I can say I've definitely had a lot of dreams over the years where a gun was involved. In most cases, there's never a "bang"... and the trigger feels "squishy" and un-usable. Dreams being dreams, I guess.

How about you, INGO? Ever dream of single-handedly taking down ISIS with your pocket pistol? :)

I dreamed once I got shot. My only 'shooting' wish is for an occasional nocturnal emission, which never happens.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Had the dream on occasion, pointed the gun but didn't need to shoot. I would call it more of a nightmare. Nothing I want to be forced to do but I believe thanks to regular practice as well as classes with Coach and BBIs I believe I'm prepared.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

ryanprivate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2018
    San Jose
    I’ve had at least five dreams that involved shooting in self defense. All five times the gun malfunctioned. It’s quite an unsettling feeling when you wake up.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I think the ones where the gun don't work, is because in your sleep your finger is trying to pull the trigger, and there is no trigger there.
    So your brain takes that feedback into the dream as the gun not working.

Makes sense when you think about it. Don't think I want to know what the finger is doing when the gun DOES work though....:):

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow. Surprised that so many folks here have dreams involving a gun that malfunctions. I've had dreams on occasion where I'm battling a supernatural creature like a zombie, and the Glock 19 I'm using works but is only about as effective as an air pistol.

Top Bottom